Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2015, 13:51   #1

Boat: jeanneau 39i
Only One Way Air Ticket to Bahamas

I have friends that want to sail with me this winter in Bahamas. Need one way ticket to get there but the Airline, Silver air, will only sell round trip ticket. I don't know how long my friends will stay nor what airport they will fly out of. What can I do to so they do not have to buy a round trip ticket
jmtindle3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 14:01   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: only one way air ticket to Bahamas

If it is within your means, send them the r/t ticket. They use the part they want. The plane will fly without them on the other leg.

jAnn
Old 20-11-2015, 16:53   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Send them copies of your cruising permit, one per crew member. The authorities will accept that to show that they intend to leave the country on a boat. The authorities being the airlines lol.
They can then buy a one-way return ticket in the Bahamas and use that to go back to the states.
Remind them not to forget their passports. If they don't already have them they should get them way ahead of time, sometimes the process can take a while.
Have fun.

I just noticed - you and your boat are in California? Or is your avatar out of date? If you are chartering a boat in the Bahamas I do not think there will not be a cruising permit involved, so it's back to the round trip ticket.
Old 21-11-2015, 09:59   #4

Re: Only One Way Air Ticket to Bahamas

Thanks for the info. By the way, California is our hailing port. Our boat is in Brunswick,ga right now. Will be in Bahamas in march. Boat name is Utopia. Maybe we will see you there
Old 21-11-2015, 10:10   #5

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Send them copies of your cruising permit, one per crew member. The authorities will accept that to show that they intend to leave the country on a boat. The authorities being the airlines lol.
They can then buy a one-way return ticket in the Bahamas and use that to go back to the states.
Remind them not to forget their passports. If they don't already have them they should get them way ahead of time, sometimes the process can take a while.
Have fun.

I just noticed - you and your boat are in California? Or is your avatar out of date? If you are chartering a boat in the Bahamas I do not think there will not be a cruising permit involved, so it's back to the round trip ticket.
I had a crew that did come back to the states with me last year and got a bit of a hard time with just the copy of the cruising permit. They wanted a crew manifest with their names on it as well. They eventually let them on the plane, but a crew manifest, as well as the cruising permit, might avoid some hassles.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 10:12   #6

We recently purchased one way tickets to the Bahamas via jet blue no trouble at all if that helps.
Luke_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 12:40   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke_Y View Post
We recently purchased one way tickets to the Bahamas via jet blue no trouble at all if that helps.
Well, I hope it works.
I once bought a 1-way ticket to Exuma on American Eagle and when I got to the Miami airport they were sorry but they wouldn't let me on the plane. Seems like the folks that sell tickets just want to sell tickets, and aren't informed about such wrinkles.
Fortunately I had a copy of the cruising permit, just had to dig it out and off I went.
Old 21-11-2015, 14:28   #8

I Purchased a one way ticket on United. when I got to the Lake Worth airport Silver air would not let me on. Made me buy a ticket from Marsh harbor to LA . Said they would refund ticket, as I was sailing back. I had a terrible time getting my money. Took many phone calls and finally someone at the top said OK. Never will I fly Silver again. Bahama air much better and most times cheaper.
Old 21-11-2015, 14:44   #9

copy of the crew permit and an employment letter from the captain for every crew member, it always worked for me for the last four years
enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2015, 14:45   #10

I mean cruising permit
enrigenna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, bahamas