Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2017, 05:48   #1

One for Dockhead

Hi , since you seem to be a guy with some knowledge of things UK and Eu maybe you can help , you will be aware of / familiar with our " red diesel " , since my boat has v small fuel tanks ( approx 12 gallls , 10 hours , 120 miles ) I have decided to carry another 10 galls with me , now here , as you know we buy " red diesel " for industrial / agricultural and marine use , but I believe it is not the same on mainland Eu, so what would you suggest , I buy the cheap red here and take with me , with associated hassles or buy over there , buy at marina / dock areas which I expect will be pret exp or buy in garage gas courts , I have 2 plastic fuel drums with me , thanks
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 06:07   #2

Re: One for Dockhead

It's all laid out on the RYA's website. You can purchase and use red diesel in the UK, and you can use it in other EU countries, provided it's stored in the vessel's main tank. In other words, you can't legally carry extra cans of red diesel.
Belgium does not permit the use of red diesel, and people have been fined for having it in their tanks, but since that had such a detrimental effect on their tourist industry, they seem to have stopped enforcing it; but the rule still stands. Caveat emptor.
Yellowtulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 06:18   #3

Thanks Y , might be better just filling up near the marina .
Old 22-06-2017, 06:21   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowtulip View Post
It's all laid out on the RYA's website. You can purchase and use red diesel in the UK, and you can use it in other EU countries, provided it's stored in the vessel's main tank. In other words, you can't legally carry extra cans of red diesel.
Belgium does not permit the use of red diesel, and people have been fined for having it in their tanks, but since that had such a detrimental effect on their tourist industry, they seem to have stopped enforcing it; but the rule still stands. Caveat emptor.
Right. No red diesel in cans!! Cheap white in Helgoland.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 06:26   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Since they may not be used on this trip, I would fill up in a petrol station with road fuel and give it a good dose of bug killing treatment.

Whilst there is a difference between farm red reduced taxed diesel and petrol station road tax paid diesel, the difference with a small quantity of say 40 liters isn't worth the hassle if you are stopped.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 07:43   #6

Thanks guys , so a fill up at the gas station seems to be the way to go here , thank you .helgoland ??? Tho I bet very interesting , and cheapn, is just a little out of any chosen route ( I think !! ) Been checking it on my super newly downloaded to my iPad Navionics ...
Old 22-06-2017, 13:55   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherod View Post
Thanks guys , so a fill up at the gas station seems to be the way to go here , thank you .helgoland ??? Tho I bet very interesting , and cheapn, is just a little out of any chosen route ( I think !! ) Been checking it on my super newly downloaded to my iPad Navionics ...
If you only carry 40 liters (?!) you won't care about the diesel, but the booze! Bring back a few cases of export strength Beefeater's at 10 euros per litre, and perfume for the missus. Look at the seals! Helgoland is great.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, head