Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2016, 12:50   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30
Re: on line sails makers

Quote:
I have had good experience with Precision Sails - they are based out of Vancouver
Actually Precision is across the Strait in Victoria. I've gotten quotes from them and the price is very good. Just waiting for cash in hand before I place the order. Because I'm in Victoria too, he said he'd come and take the measurements. And I like the fact that I can pound on their actual door if I ever have any problems.

I figure that all the lofts are using the same software to size and cut the cloth, so why would I pay a lot more for a big name. And the Canadian dollar is a lot lower than the US dollar. That has a big impact in itself.
Old 03-11-2016, 15:16   #17

Boat: Tayana 37

We had Rolly Tasker make a headsail for us some some years ago at their loft in Phuket Thailand. We were very happy with the sail and price, and some other repairs they did for us, but we were in Thailand at the time and could visit their loft to check progress.

We need a new main for our new-to-us boat. Been thinking I wouldn't hesitate to order from them online if the price is right.
foojin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 15:21   #18

Boat: Tartan 3500

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
Here's some of what you're after http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-168330.html & here http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-173432.html

Keep in mind too that quality sails often last twice as long as average ones, & superior sails are even longer lived. With some of them going 3x the distance. So cloth quality, proper stitching, & attention to detail really do matter. And often it's possible to tell what a loft's average level of quality is simply by looking at what features & options they offer on various sail types. With the better lofts incorporating many more of them as standard features vs. a more run of the mill outfit's svelte accessories & detailing.
Uncivilized -- could you please expand on "features and options"?
Thanks, Don
Capt.Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 16:08   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1boat2many View Post
I have had good experience with Precision Sails - they are based out of Vancouver - very straight forward and helpful staff; they are honest, they will tell you whether the loft is Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Vietnam. I purchased a custom Asym last season (barely used) and this season a laminated headsail that I absolutely love. You send your measurements, they review with you and talk about clue height, etc.. This is how it should be,

Precision is based in Victoria. Also had experience with FX sails in the past - not so good - headsail was not delivered on time, not sized properly, excellent build quality however and came with Neil Pride logo and sail bag so I'm guessing they just brokered an overstock item that was "close enough". Calls were not returned, lost the boat to Superstorm Sandy so case closed anyway.
That mirrors my experience with Precision Sail. I ordered a new mainsail from them, great fit, great sail. I will say customer service could have been better, but I'm happy overall with the sail and thats what matters to me.

I also called North Sail, they were first choice. I called twice, I got a return call three weeks after ordering from Precision. Some idiot out of Seattle, telling me he waited to contact me for a quote for a future sale event, B.S. in my opinion and to late.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:16   #20

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

alan second sail on ebay is always worth a look

alansecondsail | eBay
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:25   #21

Boat: 2006 Hanse 370e

I have done extensive research on various sail lofts including the online lofts, the local independent lofts and the National/international lofts. IMHO the best advise and service is provided by Somerset, a loft in upper NYS that supplies customers worldwide. I have found them extremely well informed, very reponsive, no attempt to oversell and very competitively priced. Ask for Martin and tell him I referred you.(NO, I have no financial interest in Somerset. Just a very satisfied customer.)
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 18:44   #22

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

ray brown sails from Adelaide helped out with some sails and equipment on our last Australian circumnavigation / sails were well made and proven to handle cruising conditions .Yacht Sails Quote
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sails