Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2021, 18:47   #31

Boat: Adams/Davis 35ft 7in. Custom. 2007
Re: Older sailors and boat must-have features

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
To me as I age, I think the worst thing you can do is to make things easier for you physically until you absolutely have to because when you do you will begin to lose the muscles (and balance) it took to accomplish those things aboard.

Now when you no longer can that is a different story.....but to stop earler isn't a good idea.
I kind of agree with this. But not looking forward to pulling myself up the mast with a block and tackle and putting on 3 coats of varnish on the new boat. I'm 78 in 2 weeks. Also have a hard dinghy which I row, no easy way to get on board, all halyards at the mast.
Must change the boat details too. Sold the Davidson. Have a BCC Lyle Hess these days.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20211002_124210.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	246506  
picklesandjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 19:01   #32

Hello from George in Tampa. Im on my 10 sailboat in past 50 years. its a Beneteau 41S5 ---and I am restoring it as it s past maintenence was sadly neglected. I do have that Milwaukee 1/2 right angle winch but have not tried it as my project was interrupted by triple bypass open heart surgery last May. -But im well enough now to proceed. BTW what Tablet with GPS makes a nice companion/plotter mounted at the helm?? thanks
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 20:25   #33

Boat: 1985 Pearson 36 Sloop Western Spirit
Send a message via ICQ to westernspirit

Quote:
So I'm headed toward 70 also and decided to jump overboard yesterday after sailing a few hours then anchoring a ways off the beach.

I was still "healing" up from my Thursday workout which was a 3.5 mile run/jog/walk plus 25 pushups and 5-8 pull ups depending on how you judge them

It was one of the hardest thing I have done recently hanging on the side as the tide runs and scrubbing and scrapping the bottom.

The worst part was re-boarding without a ladder. I put my kayak in the water to help with that but after doing one side and reentering, I was exhausted and rested for a bit then did the other side then sailed for a couple more hours in 20 knot winds.

Long day today at work and my knees were bleeding yesterday so it reminds me of playing football on Sunday's as a kid.

So I now know I need more gym time with weights since I stopped that when the gyms closed Spring 2020 and I also couldn't get exhausted because I had to pass a couple computer tech exams and I'm a manager not a computer tech.

So I now plan to scrub/scrap the rest of the bottom and this time I'll use my mask, flippers, and snorkle plus hit the gym now that I have been vaccinated and the gyms are open

Point is you have to use as much of your body as you possibly can even though it hurts to do it.......

I’m 68, just now installing my first electric windlass, planning a Stackpack for the main but the most important advice of all is what’s said here; stay as active as possible, pushing as hard as possible; despite pain.
westernspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 21:26   #34

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeE View Post
Hello,

Here I am 80 years old and still going up top to raise the main, sometimes with a friend but sometimes alone, manhandling the anchor etc. I want to continue to sail as long as possible and am trying to identify what features a boat should have to accommodate my diminishing abilities. ......

My boat is a basic 1981 Sabre 30, sails like a dream, but not rigged to make it easy for an old guy to sail it!

To upgrade everything I would need make the boat an easier sail for me it would far exceed the value of the boat itself. Plus there are a few other basic things it needs, new head and hoses, wiring, running lights, Windex etc.

The size of my boat is a bit small for comfortable overnights for two, but perfect for day sailing and general handling.

I'm hoping to get a menu of features you all feel would comprise the perfect sailboat for someone my age into the future, hindered as it may be! I should add I cannot afford a brand new boat.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Mike
Ideally - and I realise that budget is the limiting factor:

Selden in-mast furling main (jamming? - that's why I say Selden .... the electric version would be nice too, but ....)
Anchor windlass with remote in cockpit
One powered secondary winch (good for furling both sails - and getting up the mast).
Bow thruster if you go up in size

Size? Well again budget, but seems like you want to go bigger. Let your budget be the determining factor then - 40' would be nice.

We have a 50' with all of the above, are close to 70, and I have no issues single-handing for extended periods, including tight docking. There are many out there with oceans of experience above me, and I would say you are one of them.

God willing, I intend being at the helm of our current boat for at least another 15 years. There's a lot to see of the world out there.

Fair winds to you.

David
Old 05-10-2021, 22:06   #35

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
I have a Milwaukee M28 angle drill with a winch bit fitting thus converting all of my winches to electric - much cheaper and just as powerful (if not more so) than a Winchrite.

I figure that thing alone will add five years to my sailing life - barring serious medical issues ocurring elsewhere.

I turn 75 in a couple of weeks.

I turn 75 in a couple months. Cranking in the big genoa by hand is one of the two types of aerobic exercises I get while cruising. I figure it does my heart good, and it adds a couple years to my life to get that exercise. The other aerobic exercise, I can't mention here but I will say that doublehanded sailing is also good for your health.
Old 05-10-2021, 22:30   #36

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I turn 75 in a couple months. Cranking in the big genoa by hand is one of the two types of aerobic exercises I get while cruising. I figure it does my heart good, and it adds a couple years to my life to get that exercise. The other aerobic exercise, I can't mention here but I will say that doublehanded sailing is also good for your health.
Love it - and totally agree!
Old 05-10-2021, 22:40   #37

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
For some reason hard grinding quite bothers my back. The big drill is a godsend. Also, it lets you watch what you are doing to the sails rather than having your head down over the winch.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 23:11   #38
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
So I'm headed toward 70 also and decided to jump overboard yesterday after sailing a few hours then anchoring a ways off the beach.

I was still "healing" up from my Thursday workout which was a 3.5 mile run/jog/walk plus 25 pushups and 5-8 pull ups depending on how you judge them

It was one of the hardest thing I have done recently hanging on the side as the tide runs and scrubbing and scrapping the bottom.

The worst part was re-boarding without a ladder. I put my kayak in the water to help with that but after doing one side and reentering, I was exhausted and rested for a bit then did the other side then sailed for a couple more hours in 20 knot winds.

Long day today at work and my knees were bleeding yesterday so it reminds me of playing football on Sunday's as a kid.

So I now know I need more gym time with weights since I stopped that when the gyms closed Spring 2020 and I also couldn't get exhausted because I had to pass a couple computer tech exams and I'm a manager not a computer tech.

So I now plan to scrub/scrap the rest of the bottom and this time I'll use my mask, flippers, and snorkle plus hit the gym now that I have been vaccinated and the gyms are open

Point is you have to use as much of your body as you possibly can even though it hurts to do it.......

Both ISO and ABYC require ladders with 3 rungs below the water and that can be deployed from the water.

So... get with the program! Having no compliant ladder is fundamentally unsafe, and not because you are over 60.
Old 05-10-2021, 23:49   #39

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Something else nice to have is image stabilizing binoculars.

Ann
Old 05-10-2021, 23:54   #40

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Both ISO and ABYC require ladders with 3 rungs below the water and that can be deployed from the water.

So... get with the program! Having no compliant ladder is fundamentally unsafe, and not because you are over 60.
My outboard (and stern rail) would be my “ladder”in an emergency plus the PO left onboard this crappy rope ladder that isn’t he best.

But the “program” for the day was about doing it the hard way and getting a workout…..,but I had my kayak in the water for backup plus PFD on and was 600 yards off the beach…

Speaking of workout tomorrow is 3 mile run/jog day plus push-ups and pull-ups
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 00:27   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Something else nice to have is image stabilizing binoculars.

Ann

Wow! Expensive!
Old 06-10-2021, 00:28   #42

Quote:
My outboard (and stern rail) would be my “ladder”in an emergency plus the PO left onboard this crappy rope ladder that isn’t he best.

But the “program” for the day was about doing it the hard way and getting a workout…..,but I had my kayak in the water for backup plus PFD on and was 600 yards off the beach…

Speaking of workout tomorrow is 3 mile run/jog day plus push-ups and pull-ups

Quit bragging! You're making me tired just reading your posts!
Old 06-10-2021, 02:00   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Wow! Expensive!
Ours, Canons, were not, however, I have seen them at 3k., so yes. But no, if you go for less expensive. It is that, when your eyes were not as good as they used to be, you can still make out boat names in the daytime, and cardinal marks at night, from lots further away, which gives you mor3e time to do what you need to do in. Plus, they are small, light, and can be used one handed.

Ann
Old 06-10-2021, 03:55   #44

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Quit bragging! You're making me tired just reading your posts!
Not bragging.

My goal is to try and continue doing those 3 mile runs with stretching, pull-ups, push-ups, and the 3 mile run at least until I retire at or near age 70.

Btw according to my Polar Heart Rate Monitor and the polar app on my phone I burn about 730 calories doing that workout. I start the thing before I stretch and at the end have covered (Run, Jogged, walked) 3.4-3.5 miles. Heart rate average 124 bpm, Max 160 bpm. It's not fast though and takes about an hour.

I've been doing that run pretty regularly since age 18 after joining the military. It was a requirement. If you completed it in 18 minutes you got 100 point but you had to finish in 28 minutes but would then need to excel in either pull-ups (100 points for 20) or sit-ups (100 points for 80 in 2 minutes) to pass the Physically Fitness Test (PFT)

Got the idea to continue until at least age 70 from watching those in their 70's enter and complete the Ironman Triathlon. (in 17 hours or less)

2.4 mile swim
112 mile bike ride
26.2 (a marathon) run

I used to bike with the Triahtletes also and my max was 106 miles with several 100 mile rides but you have to work up to that but those were at a very fast speed like completing 100 miles in 5 hours. We rode in a peloton though so that helped with the speed

and a female pro at 70.

plus one over 80

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:05   #45

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Bit younger than the average poster, only 56! However the Admiral has a bad wrist from a recent accident, so we switched the secondary winches from manual to electric. Was not cheap however my wife saids it was the best change we have made. Now have no issues sheeting the main, reefing the genoa or main (have in-mast furling). Winching the genoa sheets has not been an issue with the manual primary winches. If their were problems we can run the jib sheets to the secondary electric winches.

Looked at the various options for electric drills and winchrite, however did not hear good reports about either. Plus I did not want my wife mucking around with a heavy movable gadget in the middle of a storm. Far easier and safer to push a button.

If you are on a budget a single electric winch in the right spot would also make things safer and easier.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail