Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2017, 11:21   #16

Boat: VIA 42, aluminium cutter
Re: Okeechobee Route... 46' Height

Air draft is technically limited to around 48 feet, depending how rainfall affects water level.
However, there is a chap, name of Barrel Bob who heels boat over with water barrels to main haliyard.
Direction of load is 90° from normal. Bob has been heeing big boats for years, apparently without problems.
Contact him through bridge tender or Indiantown Marina office.
blueazimuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 11:36   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
Air draft is technically limited to around 48 feet, depending how rainfall affects water level.
However, there is a chap, name of Barrel Bob who heels boat over with water barrels to main haliyard.
Direction of load is 90° from normal. Bob has been heeing big boats for years, apparently without problems.
Maybe you didn't understand the op,,,he was asking about getting through in a Gemini 105 m.....that's a catamaran, not leaning much! Hahaha & at 48 ft clearance you better pay attention close because I believe a Gemini has 47 foot that's going to be really tight if the lake level goes up and down any so someone with local knowledge would be very good to talk to,, I went under a bridge that said they had 50 foot and they did but man I was sweating it because the chart said 45 but the bridge operator was right they had 50 but I was still sweating because it's dog gone hard to tell when you're that close
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 11:57   #18

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

The last I knew the limiting bridge height east of Okeechobee was 49". My gemini 105M had no problem at all.
aliddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 12:34   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliddell View Post
The last I knew the limiting bridge height east of Okeechobee was 49". My gemini 105M had no problem at all.
But don't you sweat it just a little when it's that close? I had a real hard time with seeing or judgment of that clearance straight above me....even when I knew I had a couple feet it sure was hard to tell until I was under it!
Old 18-12-2017, 12:43   #20

Boat: Gemini 105M 34
Send a message via Yahoo to captainstubbie

Be because I do a lot of night sailing on Lake Superior, can part of the voyage be accomplished at night after dark or not?
Old 18-12-2017, 12:45   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueazimuth View Post
The only place, as I recall, air draft might be a problem would be the RR vertical lift bridge leaving Stuart. Every thing till Ft. Myers will open and I feel the Rte 41 and I 75 have enough clearance.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 14:22   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainstubbie View Post
Be because I do a lot of night sailing on Lake Superior, can part of the voyage be accomplished at night after dark or not?
I would think a nighttime ride wouldn't be a problem
Old 18-12-2017, 15:31   #23

The locks close at night and the bugs can be bad. Best to get a early start and stop late in the evening.
Keel Scraper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 18:33   #24

I would try and make it to Roland Martin in clewiston. There you can have power and air con. Then make it down to ft Myers. 2 day trip across. Locks close at five. Make it through the st Lucie when it opens and then you can get on the lake and sail across. Prevailing it will be on your port stern.
hobopacket is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
route