Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2019, 06:11   #1

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Odd question - where are your interior light switches?

I know it's a bit of an odd question but I'm in the middle of a refit right now and I've I stalled new recessed led lights.

I am having troubles trying to find a good location to install a switch to turn them on/off.

That said, where are most of these newer boats installing these switches?
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:14   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Re: Odd question - where are your interior light switches?

All of my light switches are on the light fixtures. Of course it is an older boat, 1989, so perhaps newer boats have a different common arrangement.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:37   #3

Boat: Cape Dory, Cutter,30

This is how I did it for Gabbiano.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nav lights.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	122.4 KB
ID:	187470  
moctrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
All of my light switches are on the light fixtures. Of course it is an older boat, 1989, so perhaps newer boats have a different common arrangement.
Mine are on the lights aswell, but I'm getting rid of the dome lights and the fluorescent lights and switching to recessed led lights(like modern production boats have).

I've thought about just having it controlled via the breaker switch but I know the Mrs will not enjoy that.

I will say that one nice thing about old classic style of lights is that the switch location is easy to know where it is
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22   #5

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Yes, if you want it to feel more like a house or apartment switches on the wall by the front door, kitchen and garage will be more familiar.[emoji6]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:36   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Yes, if you want it to feel more like a house or apartment switches on the wall by the front door, kitchen and garage will be more familiar.[emoji6]
Hehe I wish I had thought a bit more about where the switches would go before I installed the lights and headliner. I do like them, just a pain to figure out where to put the switches....maybe on the deck braces up high. Out of the way, yet near the lights, easy to access, no need to make cable run covers.

Here's a couple photos of my new headliner(still in progress). Much happier with it than the old deformed foam backed vinyl plywood crap.

Still unsure how I'll finish the wood yet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190304_182550.jpeg
Views:	199
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	187474Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190305_085206_825.jpeg
Views:	181
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	187475Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190305_085206_826.jpeg
Views:	192
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	187476
Old 07-03-2019, 19:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Odd question - where are your interior light switches?

I am just finishing the overhead in my vintage Tartan. The ONLY spot for overhead light switches is to side of the companionway on the overhead.

Think of it- it is getting late, you turn on the cabin lights breaker and the Nav lights anticipating sundown. When it get dark and you go enter the cabin, having the switches accessible from outside just makes sense.

Got the idea (and the switches) from Jenneau
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 19:17   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
I am just finishing the overhead in my vintage Tartan. The ONLY spot for overhead light switches is to side of the companionway on the overhead.

Think of it- it is getting late, you turn on the cabin lights breaker and the Nav lights anticipating sundown. When it get dark and you go enter the cabin, having the switches accessible from outside just makes sense.

Got the idea (and the switches) from Jenneu
Hrm I'll have to take a look at that idea and see what I can come up with!

Thanks for that, am happy to hear how others setup as this may inspire me to find the "best" placement that works for me
Old 07-03-2019, 21:00   #9
Marine Service Provider

if you can put the switches by the door way 48inches from the deck just like a house so you can turn the lights on when you enter. you asked
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 21:33   #10

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

It is certainly nice to put a switch between the breaker and the lights if you can. Nice to have the lights set up (colour and brightness) the way you want, then be able to turn them off when you leave in the dinghy and switch them on from the companionway as you get back. Most modern boats do this now. Do make sure it’s at the very least decently splash-proof.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:11   #11

Boat: Pearson 10M

I have purchased some circular touch sensitive dimmer switches on eBay and will be installing a couple of them near the companionway. They will control indirect lighting in the main salon. I'm keeping the overhead dome lights and reading lights for the berths, they have switches on the fixture.

the boat is a 73 Pearson 10M
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:19   #12

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40.3

On my Jeanneau SO 4.3 the switches for the overhead lights in the main cabin are on the overhead just forward of the companionway opening. Very easy to flip on as you are descending (or flip on as you are ascending) the stairs from/to the cockpit. We have 2 switches, mounted fore and aft to each other. The aft one controls the overhead lights in the aft half of the saloon (galley and nav station) while the forward one controls the forward half of the saloon (dining and seating areas). The switches are rocker switches about 1-1/2 inches square or so, so really easy to find.
Tom_F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 09:22   #13

Boat: Moody 37

Mine are switched off the breakers, with individual switches on the reading lights.

However, I installed a secondary switch for the main saloon lights just inside the companion way. Which means I can turn them on easily when returning to the boat in the dark.
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 10:50   #14

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

On my boat, there is a master on/off switch on the electrical panel to supply power to all cabin light fixtures & each light is equipped with its own on/off switch . . . Isn't that how most boats are equipped?
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 13:02   #15

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

There is no longer a requirement to hardwire switches with the wireless versions available.

For example, Marinebeam.com has several wireless switch options. I've been considering this one for an impending lighting refit in the master cabin— which will require multiple switch locations for convenience...

My older boat has switches installed just inside cabin doors- not unlike a typical house.

Of course, switches on individual lights can be used instead...

Best wishes with your project.

Cheers! Bill

Tags
interior