Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2018, 18:52   #1

Boat: O’Day 40
O'Day '34 and big water?

Hello all, been lurking for months, thanks for all your contributions. Own a 1983 O'Day 34 in good condition & am wondering if she has the right stuff to make it down (& back) to the Bahamas or Caribbean? I recognize she is a good coastal cruiser & not a serious bluewater boat, but it seems to me that the passages are not that far & if one could wait a day or so for a good weather window, well, why not?

I'm sure there may be some good reasons as to why not; perhaps I should buy something a little more robust, but I'd like your thoughts. Skipper has 10 yrs exp on LIS & the Chesapeake but little ocean time. Occasional trips outboard of Fishers IS, around the Block & to Newport many times, but not real passage making. Appreciate all comments....

thanks, LouK
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 19:26   #2

Re: O'Day '34 and big water?

For a trip to and from the western Bahamas, watch the weather, there are lots of good anchorages, and it's not that far. The boat and you can easily make the trip if you take just a bit of care.

Working further down the Caribbean gets harder. It's mostly upwind, and takes a lot more thought and care.

We found this book: The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South: The Thornless Path to Windward to be our "bible" about how to move south and east from Florida out through the Bahamas and pretty much as far as the Leeward Islands.

It's not the most well written** book, and the author is a bit of a curmudgeon, but we found it invaluable. Even if you don't follow his exact route, the techniques he describes will be very useful. A LOT better than just tightening sheets and pointing as high as you can into the tradewinds.

**Actually to be really fair, (and thinking as a some-time writer myself) there is nothing about the writing that a good editor could not have made 1000% better with just a few tweaks!
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 03:43   #3
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: O'Day '34 and big water?

Do not know these boats however a quick look at the spec's lead me to the conclusion she cannot be any worse than the much abused Hunters of the same vintage.. and I took one safely across the Atlantic upsetting many NC naysayers who said I would die..
You don't say where you are coming down from but.. you have the ICW if from up North.. go for it.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 06:20   #4

Learn the prevalent winds and currents, be willing to wait for the right weather window, and that boat will work perfectly well for the sort of journey you are talking about.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:46   #5

Boat: 34ft O'Day 1982

Hello,
A past co-worker had a 34 O'Day and did extensive cruising in the Bahamas, crossing Gulf Stream from FL. Cruised the Bahamas for several years. As with the other posts, be mindful of weather. I also own an '82 34 O'Day and feel the boat could handle the GS crossing with good conditions.
Hydro2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 08:47   #6

Boat: Caliber 47

Hello....owned 2 different O'Days.....25 and 31.....think your boat is certainly up to the task......more robust then Hunters (which you see plenty of in Bahamas) I think even with Catalinas .

Have seen plenty of O'Days in the Bahamas.

I'd do a real good survey especially on rigging etc and pay attention to the weather and you'll be fine.....for either destination,

Good luck

Greg
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:02   #7

Boat: Freedom 30

Might want to inspect your keel bolts as well. I know some of these boats had hull to keel issues.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:14   #8

Boat: Boatless

Good little boat and perfectly capable of getting down Island and back.

Buy...

https://www.amazon.com/Gentlemans-Gu.../dp/0944428797

Cruise the Bahamas for a while and then head to the Caribbean which is much more easily done by going due east from the Abacos for 600nm out to 67 to 65 W and then heading south. Going into the trades and the current north of Hispaniola and Puerto Rico would be very hard on that little boat.

Good luck

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:17   #9

In good condition I see no issues with it, or most production boats for that matter, going to the Bahamas, or much of the E. Carribean. Most of it is overnight trips at the most. Personally I would take the ICW until south of N. Carolina/Hatteras. That can be rough water for sure and often unexpectedly at times.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:57   #10

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Do not know these boats however a quick look at the spec's lead me to the conclusion she cannot be any worse than the much abused Hunters of the same vintage.. and I took one safely across the Atlantic upsetting many NC naysayers who said I would die..
You don't say where you are coming down from but.. you have the ICW if from up North.. go for it.
There's nothing wrong with the "old" Hunters circa 1990, also known as "Cherubini Hunters", if prudently sailed. But some of the ones since I find more dock queen than passagemaker. Now, excuse me as I go make some popcorn.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 09:59   #11

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If in good shape, you have plenty of boat. O day made a reasonably decent boat. As others have indicated better than Hunter or Catalina. They didn't sell glitz they sold boat.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:51   #12

Boat: Brewer designed Pacific 43 in fiberglass. Center cockpit set up for long-distance single handing.

You don’t specify if yours is the deep or shallow draft version of the O’Day
34. The spade rudders were keel depth on both versions which renders these
rudders somewhat vulnerable to groundings.

My take is that of the others, you should have little or no problems with your
intended voyage. My recommendations are (1) if you intend to buy a selfsteering
windvane, that you buy an auxiliary rudder type for two reasons. One they provide a means of steering if your rudder is compromised underway and two, these vanes help
eliviate the side loading on these spade rudders when slewing off swells. (2) Reef early.
seasick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouK View Post
Own a 1983 O'Day 34 in good condition & am wondering if she has the right stuff to make it down (& back) to the Bahamas or Caribbean?
Yes...
Hoosiersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 13:21   #14

The boat can make it if you can.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 04:28   #15

Boat: Hunter 37c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
If in good shape, you have plenty of boat. O day made a reasonably decent boat. As others have indicated better than Hunter or Catalina. They didn't sell glitz they sold boat.
I find it unfortunate that a discussion on O'Day boats has given some people the inspiration to bash Hunters again. I have been inside Older models of both as they were being extensively reconditioned and have not truly seen any significant difference in construction technique or build quality. For the record I own a 1980 Hunter Cherubini. While there are better built boats on the market, very few own them compared to the number of Hunter owners out on the water. On the comfort ratings the larger Cherubinis come in just below Island Packets for a cruising sailboat. Most Hunter owners who had a Hunter as a first boat and bought a second boat, bought a Hunter.
If you don't own a boat or have never owned a Hunter, perhaps you should go over to "Sailing Anarchy", where they make a living bashing boats they don't own.
ENJOY the POPCORN
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water