Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2017, 14:30   #91

Re: Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Plenty of older Prouts out there for the budget cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Yes the older Prouts are a good choice however if they have been refitted they are not the cheap seats...a friend of ours is getting one ready to go and it's sucking up money at a very good rate. Years ago we would see Prouts offshore but to be honest I can't remember the last one I saw.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:41   #92
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Depends on the brand of beer. This beer budget only covers the cans with the black "BEER" lettering on the white can.

So far with the cost of the boat, OTR transport from the East coast to Great Lakes, 2 years mooring fees, 2 years hard storage, complete refit (including bottom strip and bottom-up) repower, complete electrical/plumbing strip & rebuild with all new, complete electronics upgrade to NMEA-2K gear, and a lot of other upgrades/updates too numerous to mention including interior cushions, countertops, headliner, etc) we are just poking our noses over the $50k line before getting ready to head out full time this spring.

Show me any legitimate bluewater multihull that is ready to go at the level we have prepped our boat with the same capabilities anywhere near that price level. I'm really interested.

I'm looking up and down the Mahina Expeditions list of multihulls and I'm just not seeing it. School me.

Mahina Expeditions - Selecting A Boat for Offshore Cruising

That's easy, our catamaran. 2010 38' cold molded that we purchased as a shell. Light weight strong and good performer. Probably getting close to 60k though. Also not a complete refit, everything new.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4279.JPG
Views:	103
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	161157
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 14:45   #93

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

I'm not trying to fan the fire, and I'm not a cataphobe, so please take this as a serious question:

The older cats that are mentioned... do t hey actually offer the advantages that are present in the newer cruising cat designs? They often seem to have low bridge deck clearance, narrow beam, less room in the house and really tight room in the hulls. We stayed aboard a Heavenly Twin for a few days once, and it was bloody tight compared to our old 36 foot mono (which was full of fibreglass grinding dust at the time). They are demonstrably pretty slow, and with their narrow beam, I wonder about stability.

I realize that folks have made good voyages in them... I just wonder if they really offer any significant advantage over a similarly priced mono? Except for smaller (but not zero) heel angles!

Jim
Old 28-12-2017, 15:10   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Plenty of older Prouts out there for the budget cruiser.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
I'm in the $500 a month club. My boat is older than me and in better shape to
Old 28-12-2017, 16:14   #95

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

[QUOTE=smj;2543415]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
what exactly are you calling an opinion? If it is the fact that cats capsize mostly due to wind, that is a fact according to the organization that keeps tract of them. Look it up.[/

Most cruising cats won't capsize due to just wind. Usually where there's enough wind there's also waves. Either way, the captain of the cat was doing something wrong. The insurance industry have found cruising catamarans to be as good or a better risk for them as cruising monohulls, so pick your poison. Instead of focusing on the type of sailboat it would be better to focus on the design and safety record of the sailboat you choose.

All those cats upside down on top of buildings in the BVI clearly demonstrate that a catamaran can become like a leaf in the wind. I don’t recall seeing any monohulls upside down on top of buildings.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 16:17   #96

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
That's because you own a mono, and cat owners rarely denigrate monos, and usually only in jest.

But the fact is, plenty of mono owners will denigrate cats, calling them rafts, unseaworthy, ugly etc,etc etc. We've had plenty telling us cats can't cross oceans, can't sail, especially to windward.... all the usual garbage.

There are even people making YouTube videos spouting innacurate garbage about cats.

And just in time, some bozo calling them trucks....
Hey 44,with all due respect I disagree.

I've owned two cats and three monos. Of the three incidents I remember (previously mentioned) two were multihull owners giving me a hard time, yer in jest but they believe what they are saying. The one guy this year that just wouldn't let up about the "half boat" thing kept going and going and going. BTW when I had jestfull dig back (you don't have much water, would your wife like to have a shower on my boat) he got all out of shape .. Lol.

I've also owned a freedom with a stay less mast, copped alls sorts of crap about that.. Lol.

There's alot of rubbish that floats around about monos. Dark dingy caves, no light or air, slow, always rolling, cats are quicker, bolt on keels fall off etc etc. Come sail on my boat. I have the curtains shut alot and covers on the hatches because there's to much light. There's different sorts of monos and cats.

I've had a really good chance to compare my boats sailing abilities against standard charter cats here in the Seychelles, there is literally over 80 of them. I can assure you not one standard charter cat has come close to out sailing me in under 20knots (haven't been out in more than that here). My keel hasn't fallen off, I've smashed fin keels before. I had a cat owner comment on my motion at anchor the other day "your boat moves with the water, mine fights it".

You've commented on how much motoring monos do before, I've done approx 7,500nms this year and put 200hrs only on the engine, alot of that was charging batteries under way and going in and out of anchorages, alot of monos sail very well. There are many like yours that are much faster boats than mine but there's many monos in full cruising gear that will sail as much or more and faster than their equivalent cats, the speed thing is a myth.

I am absolutely not bagging cats, I bring up the above to highlight the predjustice that goes both ways. They have qualities that I admire, If I was prepared to spend more money I would probably have a cat.

What I'm saying is prejudice is alive and well, we get emotionally attached to our choices and then defend them, it creates selective hearing and biases. We attach our identity to our choices, it's a human fault.

People need to be less defensive, we are just talking about one hull or two, nothing more.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 16:40   #97
smj

Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

[QUOTE=zboss;2544442

All those cats upside down on top of buildings in the BVI clearly demonstrate that a catamaran can become like a leaf in the wind. I don’t recall seeing any monohulls upside down on top of buildings.[/QUOTE]

Here ya go.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4741.JPG
Views:	187
Size:	260.1 KB
ID:	161161
Old 28-12-2017, 16:46   #98
smj

Quote:There's different sorts of monos and cats.

I think that about sums it up. All kinds of boats for all kinds of people, mine of course is perfect.......for me[emoji16]
Old 28-12-2017, 17:11   #99

[QUOTE=zboss;2544442]
Quote:

All those cats upside down on top of buildings in the BVI clearly demonstrate that a catamaran can become like a leaf in the wind. I don’t recall seeing any monohulls upside down on top of buildings.

You didn't see many monos at all in the photos. There were hundreds there though. You'd need scuba gear to photograph them.....

The fact that large numbers of boats didn't survive 150 + mph winds shouldn't really bother people.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 17:13   #100
smj

[QUOTE=44'cruisingcat;2544468]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post

You didn't see many monos at all in the photos. There were hundreds there though. You'd need scuba gear to photograph them.....

The fact that large numbers of boats didn't survive 150 + mph winds shouldn't really bother people.

That was zboss's quote not mine.
Old 28-12-2017, 17:17   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Hey 44,with all due respect I disagree.
Disagree all you like. What I've said is fact.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 17:48   #102

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Here ya go.
Attachment 161161
That's cheating - it's from a tsunami..
Old 28-12-2017, 18:01   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Here ya go.
Attachment 161161
that's from Ofunato Japan after the earthquake and resultant tsunami
Here's another but I thought we were supposed to go under the bridge
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	720x1280--13.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	161168  
Old 28-12-2017, 18:49   #104

Quote:
Quote:There's different sorts of monos and cats.

I think that about sums it up. All kinds of boats for all kinds of people, mine of course is perfect.......for me[emoji16]
Mines better... Lol.

That's why these discussions are silly, so many variables.

Mono guys bag monos as well, I've got a production catalina with a fin keel, spade rudder and inmast furler, you don't think I experience predjustice? From people who have zero idea about how my boat is built or performs.... I DON'T CARE , I think my boat is cool.

I hear cat guys and mono guys bag lagoons, the stupid predjustice is part of life.

I'm lucky, there's just not many boats I don't like, if I had the money I'd collect all sorts... It's an illness.
Old 28-12-2017, 18:51   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
Disagree all you like. What I've said is fact.
In your world I'm sure it is[emoji2], and I'm certain that fact won't change.

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull, ocean crossing, round the world