Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2017, 14:25   #61

Boat: LAGOON 400
Re: Ocean Crossing around the world are best in Monohull or Catamaran???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeron View Post
Cattlemorans versus monohulls is like: What do you like better? Britney Spears or Billy Joel...

You pick which is which
bravo ! this must be the most disgusting posting of this thread
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 14:29   #62

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;2543791]Umm, mate, the Pride can't reasonably be called a cruising yacht, it wasn't at anchor and it was under full sail.

A bit different from your claim of bare poles and at anchor and small cruising yachts being knocked flat, filling and sinking with loss of lives.

I'm not a multi-hater... I'm a was knocked

It happens
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:28   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FranklinGray View Post
Tell that to the lady who had to be rescued while in the hull of a cat on amchor when a micro burst came in Greece. Tell that to the captain and crew sailinf to the DR in mild conditions when the wind suddenly reversed andcthey went over.

A micro burst is rare but any cat will capsize if one hits...a monohull will not.

If I go over, I would rather it be my fault, not just bad luck.

The crew of the cat were unhurt. In the same storm a monohull sailor went overboard and drowned.

If safety is your main concern, the fact is that the vast majority of fatalities are due to people falling overboard. In this regard cats are far safer.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:35   #64
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Cattlemorans versus monohulls is like: What do you like better? Britney Spears or Billy Joel...

You pick which is which

Would have been a worthwhile post except the spelling of catamarans. Did you know the old owners of your boat sold her to you because he had a lust for a multihull?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:38   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm, mate, the Pride can't reasonably be called a cruising yacht, it wasn't at anchor and it was under full sail.

A bit different from your claim of bare poles and at anchor and small cruising yachts being knocked flat, filling and sinking with loss of lives.

I'm not a multi-hater... I'm a BS hater.

Jim
You know the old saying Jim BS baffles brains
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 15:59   #66
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
The crew of the cat were unhurt. In the same storm a monohull sailor went overboard and drowned.

If safety is your main concern, the fact is that the vast majority of fatalities are due to people falling overboard. In this regard cats are far safer.
cure " jackline and tethers" use them stay on the boat .
Don't matter what you sail mono cat or tri you fall off the boat you die.
Old 27-12-2017, 16:13   #67

A sailor was lost overboard in this year's clipper race, who was reportedly using safety harness and tether.

And the fact is, most cruising sailors often don't use them.

John McEnroe
Old 27-12-2017, 17:18   #68
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Would have been a worthwhile post except the spelling of catamarans. Did you know the old owners of your boat sold her to you because he had a lust for a multihull?
Last we talked to him he had bought a Laser. But a little Hobie Cat would be cool too. I've always wanted to cruise the rivers and beach it on a sand bars for impromptu parties and camp fires. But a Cattlemaran cruising boat? -might as well take the flagpole down and go full stinkpot if you ask me.

BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 17:43   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
A sailor was lost overboard in this year's clipper race, who was reportedly using safety harness and tether.

And the fact is, most cruising sailors often don't use them.
yes he was clipped on but somehow became separated from the vessel.
Old 27-12-2017, 18:05   #70
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Last we talked to him he had bought a Laser. But a little Hobie Cat would be cool too. I've always wanted to cruise the rivers and beach it on a sand bars for impromptu parties and camp fires. But a Cattlemaran cruising boat? -might as well take the flagpole down and go full stinkpot if you ask me.

I've known your boat since the early 90's and the previous owners have been friends of the family since the early 80's when they and my parents were restoring tall ships together. The namesake of your boat the "Barry Duckworth" was also friends of the family before he tragically lost his life in the sinking of the tall ship Pride Of Baltimore. I know the previous owners of your boat had a lot of respect for Multihull's and their seaworthiness and had talked to me about purchasing an F-27 or 31 after selling their HR-35. He was amazed at the sailing performance. The BD is a good 4 to maybe 5 kts boat on a really good day so would probably be no match in performance to any cattlemaran as you put it. She is a good sea boat as plenty of multis are as well. I don't see you as being very experienced and your attitude towards other seagoing vessels to me is disgusting considering the boat you now have to live up to.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 18:28   #71

Boat: Anastasiades One off 132'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
Many people come to me for advice on buying boats and guns, both of which I suppose I'm a perceived expert.

In 99% of the cases I shock them with "DON'T". Because if you have to ask, you shouldn't be buying.

If you want to cross oceans, I suggest Star Alliance.
thanks for plugging my MY Star Alliance, it's for sale indeed but at 130' i don't think it's what this guy is looking for :-)
LOL

totally agree though. if you have to ask you probably should try crewing on one before jumping on your own.
lifemiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 19:13   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I've known your boat since the early 90's and the previous owners have been friends of the family since the early 80's when they and my parents were restoring tall ships together. The namesake of your boat the "Barry Duckworth" was also friends of the family before he tragically lost his life in the sinking of the tall ship Pride Of Baltimore. I know the previous owners of your boat had a lot of respect for Multihull's and their seaworthiness and had talked to me about purchasing an F-27 or 31 after selling their HR-35. He was amazed at the sailing performance. The BD is a good 4 to maybe 5 kts boat on a really good day so would probably be no match in performance to any cattlemaran as you put it. She is a good sea boat as plenty of multis are as well. I don't see you as being very experienced and your attitude towards other seagoing vessels to me is disgusting considering the boat you now have to live up to.
Yep, amusing to see a relative know-nothing denigrating catamarans, when just about any cat would sail rings round his boat.

John McEnroe
Old 27-12-2017, 23:54   #73

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

[QUOTE=Dulcesuenos;2543801]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Umm, mate, the Pride can't reasonably be called a cruising yacht, it wasn't at anchor and it was under full sail.

I'm not a multi-hater... I'm a was knocked

It happens
Bolded part is not a quote. Please do not attribute such meaningless statements to me if I do not make them.

Meanwhile, you keep saying that "it happens", but do not support your claim with references. Where's the beef? If you wish to be taken seriously, show us some actual cases where a cruising sail yacht has been at anchor, been knocked flat and held down long enough to fill and sink, and where lives were lost as a result. I don't believe there are such, but I'm ready to be shown as wrong.

Jim
Old 28-12-2017, 02:24   #74

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

This is a ridiculous discussion. Both concepts (monohulls and multihulls) work for circumnavigation and ocean crossing.

As always nature is stronger than any human invention.

Good seamanship, weather awareness and a great portion of luck is needed on both types. It's just a matter of personal preference.

I like the catamaran concept because of it's livability, stability and space.

When cruising, most of the time it is your condo at anchor and not a sailing vehicle under way.

Usually you will sail most of the time downwind using the trades and this is perfect for a multihull.
CatNewBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 02:32   #75

Boat: Catalina 470

The whole mono cat thing is alive and we'll only on cruisers forum. In the real world rarely does it raise its ugly head.

Once this year at a dinner with yachties I had one guy keep referring to my boat as "half boat" it got tiresome, I just ignored him. In eight years I can remember only three comments, most of us just don't care!

I have four cats next to me right now, we are all just yachties and no prejudice exists.

Ego's are hilarious, specially considering most here are grown men.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, hull, monohull, ocean crossing, round the world