Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2022, 17:40   #31

Boat: Lagoon 40
Re: Not sure if this is allowed but I'd really like your input.

Hi
I think you have a great idea. I haven’t read all the responses because …..hey I’m out sailing and don’t have the time or bandwidth that the CF Armchair warriors have 😂. But just a thought before you put a lot of effort into this - check out Nebo App. It seems to be sponsored by AGLCA (loopers) and does something similar to what you propose. Also take a look at Seven Seas Cruisers Association (SSCA.org) They have a page on their website that tracks members….and consider joining SSCA.

JUST MY 2c
Neil
SV Midnight Sun III
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2022, 18:34   #32

Boat: Other people's boats

I really like the idea, and I have a variation on it that might also be workable.

First, for your idea, it needn't be specific to anchorages. What you have is a portable local bulletin board: At a concert? In a town square? Wherever you are, it's a way to discuss with those nearby in a way that doesn't require immediate attention. That is, those who are busy or don't want the interruption can ignore it, or let it sit until they're free. Unlike a VHF call, there's no annoyance or urgency attached.

This also means you can do slightly more effective ads: Any local business can buy ads, knowing that customers are already nearby. You don't need to spy on anyone, as what's displayed is a function of the location rather than the user profile. Think of it a bit like those *indr apps, but less adult. You may also have more success if you build it for the land folk first, particular with the lack of cell coverage in more remote areas.

As for the anchorage info, and I suppose there are a number of such attempts at this, but consider an online database of all such local knowledge that offers downloads in multiple formats. Cruising to a particular area? Select the area, hit download, and import into your preferred charting app. Ideally this would collaborate with a number of such apps (AquaMap, iNavX, OpenCPN, etc) to make the import simpler. This might be better started in association with OpenCPN as a more open-source project, similar to the various Wikimedia sites.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 05:58   #33

Interesting idea. I will assume you meant .7 mile radius.

This could also be marketed to RV'ers and quite frankly there are probably other situations, maybe tailgating for the big game.

For those that state they aren't interested because they head out to the water to get away, then that's super simple, don't get the app or don't log in on those days you prefer to be alone. But, you can't complain about social media and the damage to society while at the same time posting on a social media platform like Cruiser's Forum.

To the OP, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Good luck.
Todd727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2022, 19:34   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillybuddha View Post
Having done some full time cruising, I saw an area that I thought I might improve upon. But I'm really not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Whenever coming into a new anchorage, I find it's kinda hard to find local knowledge about the anchorage. Active Capt fills that role to a certain extent but only in a clumsy manner and, I think, only because a better alternative doesn't exist (that I know about) and really isn't idea for a lot of situations anyway. Last night is a perfect example: one of our neighbors lost their dinghy. We grabbed while it was floating by. It didn't have reg numbers or T/T on it, so we have no idea who it belongs to, so we just tied it up to the closest dinghy dock and we hope they find it. My wife announced it on 16 but who really keeps their VHF on all the time while at anchor? She also called CG, but with numbers they couldn't really help.

But anyway, while I'm not always the most social person, I do like to meet fellow cruisers. Getting together for sundowners, beach BBQ's and sharing an Uber for a provision run, is something I enjoy from time to time. But the only way to meet fellow cruisers seems to be, by chance, at the local dinghy dock.

This is all leading to, I'm a mobile app designer. For the last month or so, I've been working on a chat app, kinda like whatsapp, but geo-located, so you are automatically singed into a group chat that is about .7 knotical miles in circumference. (You can also choose a spot on a map, if you'd like to join an anchorage chat that you are planning on visiting or check in on the group chat where you're boat in anchored but while you're away) In the future, I'd like to add a classifieds section that will follow you from anchorage to anchorage (so if you have something for sale, or provide a service, the add will follow to each new anchorage)

My question is, does this sound like something you'd use (It'll be free) and are there other things you'd like to see implemented into the app?

Again, if this is an inappropriate post, please let me know. Thanks.
I wouldn't use to be honest.
Nature's a gift.

Funny today. Port closed and that ain't normal. Port is underwater. (Working on land, ain't cruising). Warm wild weather. Going swimming instead.

Ever learnt a musical instrument besides cloth, yard and stays? Quietly encouraging animals might help attract attention and glimpses?
Retirement home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 06:04   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillybuddha View Post
Having done some full time cruising, I saw an area that I thought I might improve upon. But I'm really not sure if anyone else feels the same way.

Whenever coming into a new anchorage, I find it's kinda hard to find local knowledge about the anchorage. Active Capt fills that role to a certain extent but only in a clumsy manner and, I think, only because a better alternative doesn't exist (that I know about) and really isn't idea for a lot of situations anyway. Last night is a perfect example: one of our neighbors lost their dinghy. We grabbed while it was floating by. It didn't have reg numbers or T/T on it, so we have no idea who it belongs to, so we just tied it up to the closest dinghy dock and we hope they find it. My wife announced it on 16 but who really keeps their VHF on all the time while at anchor? She also called CG, but with numbers they couldn't really help.

But anyway, while I'm not always the most social person, I do like to meet fellow cruisers. Getting together for sundowners, beach BBQ's and sharing an Uber for a provision run, is something I enjoy from time to time. But the only way to meet fellow cruisers seems to be, by chance, at the local dinghy dock.

This is all leading to, I'm a mobile app designer. For the last month or so, I've been working on a chat app, kinda like whatsapp, but geo-located, so you are automatically singed into a group chat that is about .7 knotical miles in circumference. (You can also choose a spot on a map, if you'd like to join an anchorage chat that you are planning on visiting or check in on the group chat where you're boat in anchored but while you're away) In the future, I'd like to add a classifieds section that will follow you from anchorage to anchorage (so if you have something for sale, or provide a service, the add will follow to each new anchorage)

My question is, does this sound like something you'd use (It'll be free) and are there other things you'd like to see implemented into the app?

Again, if this is an inappropriate post, please let me know. Thanks.
I feel it's a good idea, those who do not wish to use it then they don't download it.
Local advice before you arrive must surely always be useful, and the level of social interaction on arrival is a matter for each individual to decide, but the information is information, doesn't mean you have to turn up to a barbeque with a dozen sausages does it.

I find my Navionics tells me everything to arrive safely, but I think I would give your app a try.
Clean Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 06:08   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
I really like the idea, and I have a variation on it that might also be workable.

First, for your idea, it needn't be specific to anchorages. What you have is a portable local bulletin board: At a concert? In a town square? Wherever you are, it's a way to discuss with those nearby in a way that doesn't require immediate attention. That is, those who are busy or don't want the interruption can ignore it, or let it sit until they're free. Unlike a VHF call, there's no annoyance or urgency attached.

This also means you can do slightly more effective ads: Any local business can buy ads, knowing that customers are already nearby. You don't need to spy on anyone, as what's displayed is a function of the location rather than the user profile. Think of it a bit like those *indr apps, but less adult. You may also have more success if you build it for the land folk first, particular with the lack of cell coverage in more remote areas.

As for the anchorage info, and I suppose there are a number of such attempts at this, but consider an online database of all such local knowledge that offers downloads in multiple formats. Cruising to a particular area? Select the area, hit download, and import into your preferred charting app. Ideally this would collaborate with a number of such apps (AquaMap, iNavX, OpenCPN, etc) to make the import simpler. This might be better started in association with OpenCPN as a more open-source project, similar to the various Wikimedia sites.
Lots of ideas there, but would they make the original objective hard to find amongst all the adverts etc.
I like the KISS principle, 'Keep It Simple Stupid'
Clean Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 06:32   #37

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I think for an app to be successful or universal it should be another screen in our plotters.
I’ve made passive sensors which count feet in a self contained self powered waterproof box. You could read the VHF identification on a boat just as easy. Popular anchorages could talk in a mesh in real time of the tonnage and even vessel name. But privacy act would prevent that I believe.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 06:40   #38

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

This one measures ground water but it could count boats and report them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A243CB51-DA73-403C-BA90-36B6348B0F85.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	258698   Click image for larger version

Name:	46664268-FA97-4B9E-AB01-26704D4D2817.jpeg
Views:	20
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	258699  

Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote