Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2021, 15:24   #16

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Northbound ICW in a Time Crunch

I put together a spreadsheet that listed the distance from going out each inlet I was comfortable using to going in every suitable inlet further north, including mileage in and out the inlet from the ICW, and also listing the ICW mileage if you stay in between those inlets. Very enlightening. Some hops save a lot of miles. Some hops cost you miles.

In my experience (5 ICW trips) you can make big gains with a single overnight hop, but not much with a daysail outside. I always run outside from at least St. Mary's to Charleston. That is a single night and saves a lot of miles.

Also, sometimes bridge schedules are not what you think they are. Don't throttle down because you think you are going to arrive 15 minutes early. We've missed a bridge opening twice that way over the years.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:11   #17

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelseyB View Post
.........So, does anyone have any advice for getting up the ICW faster?........
Sail/motor offshore 73 miles east until you enter the gulf stream and head north east. Trip takes about 4 days. I did this a couple of times from Fort Lauderdale, Fl to Baltimore, MD on a 45 ft sailboat. Be sure to have a crew of 4 due to long days and nights, EPIRP, MOB, VHF radio with GPS and DSC with MMSI programmed into it, tethers, jacklines, and other offshore safety equipment.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:15   #18

Boat: Albin 36 Express Trawler

I have done the ICW from Annapolis to Florida several times. On both a sailboat and a trawler. We found that the biggest problem to having any control over how long it took was the weather and the tides. You have to plan things around the tides, because there are some places you don't want to go through at certain times. Just to show you how the amount of time can differ: one year it took us 5 weeks and another time, two months.
vlathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:46   #19

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

If you are singlehanded and outside at some point you'll need to sleep, so most likely you'll be planning each day to get to the next inlet, with time wasted going in and out instead of north. Probably no faster than inside.
If you have crew and can divide watches you can keep moving 24 hours a day and make real progress.
By yourself the best bet may be to start each day early and keep moving till the sun goes down. It is still driving home on a winding road at 7 miles an hour, but you'll have several more hours of light than you had on the way south.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:53   #20

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I did it southward in day/night/day hops. I had one crew, but I was up all night myself. Beaufort NC to Fernandina Beach first hop, but I have a 42 ft cat.

Reasonable hops are Miami to Fernandina, to Charleston, to Pt Lookout Bight, to Norfolk. Minimal distances getting in and out.

There's a real curve to the coast (not to mention the zig-zags inside) that you can go straight line
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 16:58   #21

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

One other option is get as far as you can, and rent a car.

I have a spreadsheet of locations convenient (to varying degrees) of one way car rentals. Probably needs to be updated
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 17:22   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't think you'll save any time opting for these short 1 day, daytime offshore routes...and I wouldn't waste your time trying....seriously.....forgetaboutit...probably longer distance and more time.

Offshore is only a benefit if you can do a few days at a pop...

Don't forget....the wind and seas may not be favorable for going offshore any way on the day you'd like to go...this time of the year, we still get N-easters... you will do a lot of distance just getting out ...and back in again...A N-easter may die down, but lumpy seas will generally remain for a while.

If you have to be back in Norfolk at a specific date, that is always a problem, as you will end up doing things you would not normally do.

You could also consider a " delivery crew".....they'll bring the boat to you...it's a time vs. money thing.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 17:37   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

I'd hire/borrow/entice a crew and hop straight from St. Augustine to Morehead City. If the weather's nice, skip the inlet and go around Hatteras; if nasty, put in and go along the inside. Thing is, Hatteras to Norfolk is super-quick on the outside, but a lot of slogging on the inside.
Old 01-04-2021, 17:41   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

forgot to add.....you could always consider doing the trip as far as you can manage..leave it a marina, and come back for it at another time, have someone come pick you up or rent a car.....summer is coming, bringing more settled weather...it's an option ????
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 18:23   #25

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Yep, that was my experience when I went offshore the first time. I thought it was going to save me a day, but I spent half the time just getting far enough out to clear the shoals! I just don't know if I'm comfortable enough yet to skipper an overnight trip.
Sounds like you need someone with a bit more experience to help you on this passage. I'm sure you didn't buy the boat to motor around the ditch and I doubt if you'd find any competent sailors who would be interesting in motoring up the ditch as it's boring. Time to bite the bullet and learn how to sail that boat so you can take her to Bermuda or the Bahamas which is what it's equipped for. In an emergency there's a lot more support off the Southeast Coast than most anywhere in the world.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 18:36   #26

Boat: Morgan 34

I've done Southport NC to Charleston (27 hrs), rested for a day, then did Charleston to St Mary's in 32-34 hrs. Myself & one crew. We were old at the time(68) so it was tiring but it saved a couple of weeks of inside passage through Georgia & SC. You need the weather to be favorable and a boat you trust. Inlet hopping up the coast can be worth it if you're heading out in the morning on the ebb and back in late afternoon/early evening on the flood, and have a favorable wind, but otherwise you might as well slog up the inside. I haven't transited the St Augustine inlet but I understand it can be a bit more problematic than the big ship inlets. If you're not prepared and comfortable offshore don't go there to "save time".
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 18:42   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
Offshore St. Augustine to St. Marys/Fernandina. Offshore St. Marys to Brunswick. Offshore Brunswick to Savannah river. Offshore Savannah to Beaufort, SC. Offshore Beaufort, SC to Charleston. Offshore Charleston to Georgetown SC, etc., etc. These are shorter hops and will allow you to stay close to shore and close to other inlets that you can duck into if necessary. You may find yourself entering some inlets in the dark, but these inlets are all well-charted and marked.
These offshore hops also eliminate about 25-30% of the miles-especially thru georgia as the ICW winds like a snake there.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 18:49   #28

Call the Trucking Companies.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 18:52   #29

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoleo View Post
Call the Trucking Companies.
BINGO,,,,,lots of people retiring to Florida, shipping their boats south and the trucks wind up running back empty
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 06:34   #30

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Thank you have you found that doing day hops like that actually cut off a significant amount of time? Or does it end up being about the same as staying inside due to the time added from getting in and out?
It depends on the weather. If nothing else, it allows you to let the autopilot drive the boat and helps keep you rested. Piloting in the ICW requires you to be fully alert at all times.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
icw