Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2014, 05:32   #1

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
North Sea to Black Sea Passage

Today we arrived in Sulina, Romania on the Black Sea after our passage from the North Sea by the Rhine River, Main River, Danube River and connecting canal. The trip was 3,900 KM and we stopped at 51 places along the way. It took us 91 days, 434 gallons of fuel, and we put 355 hours on the engine.
Now we will continue onto Turkey after we have repositioned our mast.
Randal Johnson
www.mydoramac.com
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:54   #2

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: North Sea to Black Sea Passage

I looked at your blog - lots of info. What was the cost of overwintering in London? Couldn't see it in the blog.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:14   #3

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.

St Katherine Docks is probably one of the most coveted locations in the world to be a live aboard but the marina was the worst managed of any we have visited in our seven years of cruising. The price, which changes often, was 5,177.88 British Pounds for seven months including water and 16 amp electricity. There are other cost of being in London including added food cost but I have no regrets of spending the winter there.
Oh and just because you have an agreement for a berth does not mean they will honor it. Management really sucked.
Old 12-08-2014, 12:26   #4

Boat: Outbound 44

Thanks for the info. Sounds like the place needs some management cleanup
Old 12-08-2014, 12:32   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
Today we arrived in Sulina, Romania on the Black Sea after our passage from the North Sea by the Rhine River, Main River, Danube River and connecting canal. The trip was 3,900 KM and we stopped at 51 places along the way. It took us 91 days, 434 gallons of fuel, and we put 355 hours on the engine.
Randal Johnson
www.mydoramac.com
fantastic trip well done enjoy turkey,should be a bit cheaper than london if over wintering there

thanks for keeping us posted
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 12:38   #6

gREAT JOURNEY ! What was tightest beam throughout canals? What was favorite town/city?
Is all this in your blog?
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2014, 03:52   #7

The most narrow locks were on the Main/Danube Canal at 12 meters I believe. The widest was on the Danube at 34 meters. My personal favorite place was Belgrade. I could have easily spent weeks there.
Old 13-08-2014, 05:06   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randal Johnson View Post
Randal Johnson
www.mydoramac.com
Impressive trip, and really impressive fuel economy. About 1 liter per nautical mile if I calculate correctly. That's about what I budget on my boat at an economical cruising speed (6 to 7 knots), which I bet is slower than yours.

Those Diesel Ducks are very cool vessels -- just what I would want, I think, for cruising Europe's rivers and canals
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 02:05   #9

Dockhead: I had not calculated it that way but we covered 2,104.5 NM and burned 1,643 liters of fuel. Much of this trip was with the current going along the Danube and at times we were making 10 knots.
On open water passages we cruise at 6.5 knots and burn 1.6 gallons an hour which comes to about one liter per mile. Our cruising RPM is 1500 on our John Deere 4045T.

Tags
passage