Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2019, 05:22   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34
Thumbs down North Lake Worth Anchorage

For some reason someone keeps removing the Active Captains anchorage symbol in the area of the north Lake Worth anchorage... Bottom line it is not a restricted area other than the area marinas are discouraging the area for their personal use..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 05:36   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: North Lake Worth Anchorage

Last April I kept changing it back to an anchorage and the next time I looked it back to a hazard. I was there for 2 weeks and never saw any law enforcement people at all. You would think it wouldn’t be possible to change an anchorage symbol to a hazard.
Old 13-12-2019, 05:55   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Super Yachts will get ticked off when they are tugged through what they consider their channel, of course this channel isn’t marked so transient boats don’t know to not anchor there, if they would mark it, it wouldn’t be an issue.

Lake Worth brings up one of my pet peeves, “private moorings” all over the place so that you can’t anchor. I’m pretty certain that these are not permitted moorings but could be wrong. To keep people off “their” mooring while they are in the Bahamas or elsewhere, they will tie cheap plastic kayaks to them.

Both the SuperYacht channel and the private mooring are an example of people claiming things that aren’t theirs to begin with.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2019, 06:08   #4
CLOD

that's the Lake Worth anchorage not the North Lake Worth up by the PGA Bridge that is the subject
Old 13-12-2019, 06:13   #5

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The Super Yachts will get ticked off when they are tugged through what they consider their channel, of course this channel isn’t marked so transient boats don’t know to not anchor there, if they would mark it, it wouldn’t be an issue.
Are you talking about the fairway from green #9 to Old Port Cove or a different area? https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@13&key=g~wbDrirgN

Hopefully this isn't new harassment, since this was one of my favorite stops on the way back from the Bahamas. We'd have some form of water cop stop by our boat for a quick chat, but when pressed, they always said we could spend as much time as we wanted there.

I'm remembering how much I don't miss Florida.

Matt
Old 13-12-2019, 06:48   #6
CLOD

yes the anchorage past Old Port Cove to the PGA Bridge

I did notice that a few of the long term boaters there that used to be on anchor now appear to be on a mooring. I suspect this is to get around some law/rule and all they did was add a mooring ball to the what they already had. When I was last there in April the "normal" boats were still there and there were at least 20 cruisers anchored there. Near as I could tell nothing changed in the anchorage, because that would all be controlled by the normal Florida laws, and the issue is just that someone is changing the anchorage symbol.
Old 14-12-2019, 00:11   #7

Boat: Pearson 530

Waterway Guide has some comments on this area, but why not anchor to the south of the inlet?
Old 14-12-2019, 04:57   #8
CLOD

Because the north Lake Worth anchorage we are talikng about is an EXCELLENT cruiser stop with grocery, restaurants, super west marine, car rental etc. in easy walk.
Old 14-12-2019, 05:00   #9

Boat: Tartan 37 #6

At anchor there right now, 27 boats,mostly cruisers.A ‘security’ boat passed by yesterday but didn’t stop. I think they like to keep a clear channel but I have seen no large boats moving at the top end.
steamgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 05:47   #10

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A few old mooring blocks and other obstructions here from center of anchorage to NW corner. Have fouled my anchor here.
Old 14-12-2019, 06:39   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Because the north Lake Worth anchorage we are talikng about is an EXCELLENT cruiser stop with grocery, restaurants, super west marine, car rental etc. in easy walk.

Where is this? Only place I’ve anchored was across from Rybovek Marina or however it’s spelled, the Yacht club is there where you can join for a small fee that gives you showers, a place to have packages sent and a place to dispose of thrash and that’s about it. It is not a nice safe neighborhood to walk through and no stores etc.

Your spot sounds better, where do you tie the dinghy up at?
Plus where is it in reference to I think it’s called peanut island?

I was never bothered by any Cop when I was there, they seemed to be preoccupied catching people speeding as I guess the whole area is a no wake zone.
Old 14-12-2019, 06:46   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
Waterway Guide has some comments on this area, but why not anchor to the south of the inlet?

AC calls then Lake Worth #1 and #2, short answer you can’t, they are both full of moorings now, you can squeeze in South of both of them but watch depth if your over 5’.
Old 14-12-2019, 06:46   #13

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Where is this? Only place I’ve anchored was across from Rybovek Marina or however it’s spelled, the Yacht club is there where you can join for a small fee that gives you showers, a place to have packages sent and a place to dispose of thrash and that’s about it. It is not a nice safe neighborhood to walk through and no stores etc.

Your spot sounds better, where do you tie the dinghy up at?

I was never bothered by any Cop when I was there, they seemed to be preoccupied catching people speeding as I guess the whole area is a no wake zone.
I linked to it in my previous post. There is an anchor symbol on the Navionics app. You tie up to the bridge (which is also listed on Navionics), but don't dare leave it after dark.

Matt
Old 14-12-2019, 07:17   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Where is this?

Shops,ie., West Marine are up at Rt. 1 and Rt 703...the north anchorage. Anchorage south of Peanut Island is the south anchorage..lots of moorings with vessels attached..
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2019, 07:28   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
I linked to it in my previous post. There is an anchor symbol on the Navionics app. You tie up to the bridge (which is also listed on Navionics), but don't dare leave it after dark.

Matt

The link to your previous post does indeed take me to the Navionics app. But way North of the inlet and there is no anchorage symbol where it dumps me off at, but as you can move the app around, it’s not like a screen shot, it makes me wonder if it takes me where you intended it to.

Normally AC anchorages have names associated with them, the name is of course one way to determine your looking at the same Anchorage.
We will be down in a couple of weeks and haven’t decided if we will cross from Lake Worth or more likely go further South and cross to Bimini or similar, but may stay a few days in Lake Worth if we can find a nice place to, and what you guys are describing sounds like a nice place, so I’m interested in finding out where it is.

Unfortunately things like PGA bridge don’t mean much to me, I guess because I’ve only come into Lake Worth via the inlet.

Tags
anchor, lake worth