Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2015, 08:45   #1

Nor'Sea 27 Handling

Nor'Sea owners - I'm considering a Nor'Sea 27. I've read from one person that the boat has a very poor turning radius - to the point where one person installed a bow thruster. I've also read the it is difficult to tack in light winds.

Any opinions on this?
Dmk56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:07   #2

Boat: B24
Re: Nor'Sea 27 Handling

Hmmm… bow-thruster, that’s rich… I’ve not owned a Nor'Sea 27, but lusted after one for years. It does have a longish keel, but a heavily cut away forefoot and certainly doesn’t have a reputation for being anything other than a comfy micro-cruiser… Guess will have to hear what actual owners say…
Old 28-08-2015, 09:25   #3

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

If a 27' boat is so hard to steer with a diesel, rather than install a bow thruster, why not look at other boats like the triton that can be modded with an outboard well?
Due to circumstance, I, unfortunately, have an outboard on the back of the boat right now, but docking it is incredibly easy as I use the outboard as a bit of a 'stern thruster' by spinning it sideways.
Of course, many pitfalls of this approach as well such as carrying gas, losing a lot of reverse power, etc.
However, I would be very surprised if many owners of small boats had installed bow thrusters.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:30   #4

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I'm still suppressing chuckles at the thought of a thruster on a 27' boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 09:37   #5

According to what I had read, the bow thruster was added because of the boats large turning radius making it difficult to get out of tight marinas.
Old 28-08-2015, 09:38   #6

Boat: Baba 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
I'm still suppressing chuckles at the thought of a thruster on a 27' boat.
Why suppress the chuckles? Some things BEG to be chuckled at...
BaconGrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 14:57   #7

I've seen pictures of one NS27 that has a bow thruster installation.

My guess is that it is most useful when docking with tidal current or brisk wind because the boat has a cutaway full keel and a substantial amount of exposed surface for wind effects. The turning radius of the boat underway is remarkably tight with the large outboard rudder. I have never felt a need for a bow thruster in my 32 years of ownership.

I have never found tacking through the eye of a light breeze to be a problem, but when it's blowing half a stink I have had to fall off and get hull speed up as high as possible to get that bow and deck house through the wind...or wear ship...to get onto the opposite tack.

Others with more miles of experience or ocean going experience will hopefully weigh in on this. Most of my experience is bay and sound sailing.

From the Owners' Group Newsletter number 17...an article by the founder/builder who sold the business and went sailing on a NS27...

FOUNDERS FEATURE
By Dean Wixom

TACKING IN HEAVY WEATHER
Some NorSea owners have become expert at the heavy weather jibe, not necessarily to sharpen their sailing skills, but because they have no success tacking in heavy winds. Sometimes the only way `round is the long way `round - to "wear `round" [a controlled jibe]. This is sometimes hard on gear and overly stimulating to captain and crew. It's usually avoidable.
Our boat will do the tack, but needs gentle persuasion. Why? The same reason that creates some of its virtues - the cutaway forefoot. This feature that among other things helps the boat tack in light air, allows waves to knock the bow downwind when pinching into heavy winds and seas. This takes additional weather helm to counteract, stalls the rudder and keel and causes the boat to wallow.
Did you catch that key word:"pinching". It's key because it's what you don't do. Here's how it's done.
1. Fall off 10 - 15 degrees and let the boat build up speed, [the rudder will regain its normal angle, the rudder and keel are foils again, they are now working].
2. Time your turn to occur at the top of the oncoming wave. [You should be about 1/3 through your turn as the bow breaks free at the top of the wave].
3. Backwind the jib. [Don't let go the jib sheet until the jib fills from the opposite side. This causes the backwinded sail to pull the bow around quickly].
4. Once the tack is near complete let the jib sheet go and sheet in as you would normally.
As with many things about the NorSea, this goes against conventional wisdom. Well, our boat was never conventional. Resist the urge to go as high as possible before the tack. Resist the urge to let the jib sheet fly at the start of the tack, but let it go quickly once the boat goes through the eye of the wind. If you delay too long you'll get a lot of heeling and stall the boat an the new tack.
To condense it all:quit pinching up [what are you doing up there anyway?]. Fall off, build up speed. Time your wave, backwind the jib.
Easy as 1,2,3.
Fairwinds
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2015, 15:28   #8

Thanks! that actually makes a lot of sense.