Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 06:41   #31

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Norfolk VA to Deale MD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
Leaving it on the hard near Hampton Roads is a realistic and possible bail out option. We'll play that by ear, but I'm 99% sure we're dumb enough to beat north into anything short of a nor'easter.

We're keeping a close eye on the weather, studying our charts and taking note of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options. I'll keep this thread updated when possible with pics and details.
You will most likely be fine especially with a crew member to study the charts while you "drive" or vice versa..............
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:47   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancelot9898 View Post
Be aware that the mouth of the Potomac can present some bad wave action with wind and current running in opposite directions. Try to make that crossing with favorable conditions.
you're not the first to mention this, it's written in all caps on my logbook.
mdfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 04:49   #33

You guys going to delay for a bit? I believe it's suppose to lay down some in a few hours.

NDBC - Station CBBV2 Recent Data
Old 03-12-2015, 05:30   #34

We are still planning on a 0845 departure from Little Creek tomorrow, Dec 4th. Per this site, https://www.windyty.com/KORF?2015-12....896,-75.185,9 the forecast looks agreeable.

Have a trunk full of coffee and groceries and a bag full of warm clothes.

Of course, we will play it by ear and have time to play with. We certainly will delay if necessry, I'm not playing games with our lives and a newly purchased boat.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:44   #35

Yeah, tomorrow looks much better and the next two days almost perfect.......for this time of year.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:46   #36

I truly miss watching heavy weather from my old cottage on 75th street though...from up in those dunes I used to watch nor'easters and hurricanes...good times. I'd rather not see them from the cockpit now.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:35   #37

Good morning from Deltaville

Good morning! I'm sitting here having coffee at 0530 at Doziers Regatta in Deltaville VA.

The crossing of Thimble Shoals from Little Creek took 3 hours in yesterdays 15-20kt winds, yes we motored across anyway. We're geniuses so...

North of Thimble Shoals, the water calmed and we were able to make a steady 5kts. The late start and lost time caused us to get into Deltaville well after dark.

Motoring past Gwynns Island with the milky way overhead was fantastic, this is why I wanted to sail. This right here. Amazing.

The darkened approach at night was only mildly hairy. The 4S green beacon was more like 2S and there were 2 unlit and one submerged piling. Also a very narrow 6ft deep channel. It was easy though: Just lined up the green and red lights, then once the red was a hair to the right of green, shoot the gap. Boom. Done.

Leaving for Solomons in a few mins (if we can find somewhere open with diesel, doubtful). Today is going to be a long day.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions you guys threw out! I'll update tonight.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:48   #38

Sounds great. You should have a couple more clear nights for star watching.

Hopefully you can use your sails today (with the engine) if the light wind swings around a little to the NE as predicted
Old 05-12-2015, 06:07   #39

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Brrr - medium frost here (not far from your location) on land but with temps in the mid 50's and sunny should turn into a great sailing day.

Did you see how bright Venus was this morning?

Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 13:31   #40

I put my sails back on this am and sailed out Little Creek (then West to the fishing pier) The incoming tide was rippin!

No wonder it took you 3 hours to get to Thimble Shoal Channel. I've made it to Kiptopeke in 3.5 hours before in favorable conditions.

I was low on gas so I sailed out, and it took a while with the NNE wind.

I'm thinking you guys sailed out of Vinings............

It never did warm up much even though the sun was out.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:19   #41

Good morning! Greetings from Deale MD!

Weather was so calm and clear last night that we skipped Solomons and motored all the way to Deale, arriving at 0200. We were due to pull into Solomons at 1000 but made a pot of coffee and steamed on.

Wow! What a clear star-filled night! Several times, stars on the horizon were mistaken for shore lights.

I'll post a more comprehensive coverage of this trip later on, after I've had a cup of coffee and after someone else makes me breakfast.
Old 08-12-2015, 07:31   #42

This trip started at Reagan natl’ Airport, where I had to pick up my sailing buddy and a rental car. I rented a Mustang 5.0 from Alamo because why not. After some burnouts and a quick tour of the monuments in DC, we headed south to Norfolk. Somewhere around Ladysmith, I ran over something on the highway that cracked the rim, destroyed the tire, and broke the shock tower. Whatever it was, it got 3 other cars as well. We were all on the same shoulder changing tires and assessing damage. After putting on the donut and deciding to press on vs abandoning the trip, we headed south at 60mph. Safe (enough). That set back cost us a precious hour of sleep.
After no sleep and dealing with the rental car claim, We departed Vinings Landing at 0900--
Crossing the mouth of the bay with an incoming tide and a 15-18kt north wind was not fun. It was work, but worth it. One close call with a Navy Frigate that didn’t know what speed it wanted to go, and we were across into smoother waters. I was happy to give up the wheel after 4 hours of fighting Betty O's big rear end. Once the water calmed down, I was happy to figure out the autopilot. We had a nice close up view of the Wolf Trap light and steamed with a beautiful ketch for an hour or so. Those were cool moments. The stars after dark were just amazing.

The transit from Norfolk to Deltaville took much longer than anticipated due to the slow crossing, we didn't get into Doziers until well after 9pm. Deltaville had quite a few grounding and/or strikes in their channel due to an obstruction. Locals think a wreck shifted into the channel. There were 6 boats up on the hard from running into something the day we arrived, some nasty damage. one sailboat had a rudder bent at 45 degrees and had pushed throught the hull. A big old Bertram had both of its outdrives ripped completely off. Nasty damage. When the kid fueling me up asked how I got in after dark, I told just followed the rules of the road and kept close to the channel markers. I'm sure I had a bit of luck as well. We departed at 0700 the next morning. The ride out was white knuckled, but I stuck to my track from the night before. No problems.

We were able to put up sails and head east for an hour or so, come on we had to sail a little. Reefed and set sails, it was a sporty day. We were making 6-8 kts and nice wind. Unfortunately we had a schedule so we dropped sail and started to motor north. There was a light north wind and glassy waters for most of the day. Quiet day. Once the sun went down, the tugs and barges came out. My god, those things are everywhere. The first one taught us that “if it looks weird, it’s a barge.” That became the rule of thumb and we both became adept at identifying its trajectory. We must’ve seen more than a dozen. We were due to pull into Solomons at 10pm. The weather was so nice and the water so smooth, we decided to just motor on to Deale. I spent many hours standing up forward just watching the water go by. What a great experience.

We were tied up in my new slip at 0200! There was frost on the docks and a billion stars overhead. I think I made a good choice. We celebrated the trip with long showers, hot coffee, a LOT of sleep. Then a total pigout at Fogo De Chao.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:22   #43

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Then a total pigout at Fogo De Chao.

??? Wherezat?

-Chris
Old 08-12-2015, 08:24   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
??? Wherezat?

-Chris
1101 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004

We had to go back to my apartment in Alexandria anyway, so we uber'd to Fogo and had a few and ate a lot.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:18   #45

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
1101 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington, DC 20004

We had to go back to my apartment in Alexandria anyway, so we uber'd to Fogo and had a few and ate a lot.

Ah. I inferred you meant it was in or near Deale somewhere... rats.

-Chris