Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2015, 10:56   #16

Boat: Lots of boats.
Re: Norfolk VA to Deale MD

Good luck with Deale. LOTS of shallow water in and around Herring Bay. Have kept boats at Herrington Harbor and Paradise Marina. Always tempting to cut the corner when travelling north to save a bunch of miles. This is how I got stuck the only time I've ever run aground. No harm done, most of the Chesapeake is mud bottom, but needed a tow.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 11:08   #17

watch your depth gauge in deltaville and do not even think about it in the dark
roberthowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 15:03   #18

Boat: Baba 40

Just did that trip. Norfolk to Deltaville's a day. Best convenient marina there is Dozier's Regatta Point (tell Jimmy Shaboom recommended you). The transient dock is right there when you enter. Favor the green channel markers. From D'ville to Solomons is a haul - about 60 miles. After dodging the spoil area coming in, you can anchor behind Molly's Leg, up either creeks, or cheap dock at Calvert Marina ($1/ft with Boat/US). Downside is it's on the wrong side of restaurants. From there to your destination, easy peasy. Enjoy the trip!
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 17:50   #19

Thanks to all for the recommendations, I'll be paying close attention.

Just had the 34 hauled and surveyed today and it's a go! That girl is a beauty and I can't wait to take ownership!
mdfiasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:41   #20
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I bought a boat in Deltaville and delivered her home to Deale after Christmas. Fun. Personally, I would just anchor; saves time when days are short.

Sail Delmarva: Homecoming

For what it is worth, my boat "passed" a survey too, which did not prevent, drive, flooding, and electrical problems. Take a tool kit and a sense of humor.
Old 23-11-2015, 20:19   #21

Last time I did this trip was north to south
Keep a tight eye on your route thru Norfolk
Lots of Navy stuff there and they can get pretty jumpy
We were buzzed a few times by choppers with guys with
machine guns hanging out the side.
This was four years ago
Can't imagine what it's like now
It took us one day Annapolis to Solomon's
One day from Solomon's to Mobjack had to bum a ride in
Mobjack to get some fuel and lost a lot of time
So from Mobjack we went to Hampton
And the next day we went thru Norfolk to the ICW
This was in late October and we hit a few days of very light air
So it was a lot of motor sailing
Others here have more local knowledge but I would be concerned about
Being able to get fuel and thus would have enough on board
To cover the whole trip.
Cheers
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 21:55   #22

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

With the short days and the low temps tonight are below freezing for about 10 hours. Hope you can stay warm. The weather forcast is sunny and warm starting mid day. With below freezing temps and low sun it will take it awhile to warm up in the AM.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 04:34   #23

I too have had encounters with Navy SH-60s and machine guns...learned my lesson, I dont' get close anymore.

It will be cold as hell, thank god for that full cockpit enclosure, we're gonna need it and plenty of hot coffee. I think it'll be a miserable trip, but in a few years we'll remember it fondly, isn't that the way it goes?
Old 24-11-2015, 05:44   #24

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdfiasco View Post
I too have had encounters with Navy SH-60s and machine guns...learned my lesson, I dont' get close anymore.

It will be cold as hell, thank god for that full cockpit enclosure, we're gonna need it and plenty of hot coffee. I think it'll be a miserable trip, but in a few years we'll remember it fondly, isn't that the way it goes?
The Navy will give you plenty of warning on Channel 16, but not so with the container ships.

They are the ones to watch for especially at night (or whenever it's dark) if you don't have AIS or Radar because those large ships full of containers can suddenly become a very small little green or red light with a ghostly image around it creeping along thru Thimble Shoal Channel (or the North Channel, Chesapeake Channel)

Not so bad on the way out, but coming in at night it can get confusing due to all the other lights on shore and in the water.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 05:54   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
The Navy will give you plenty of warning on Channel 16, but not so with the container ships.

They are the ones to watch for especially at night (or whenever it's dark) if you don't have AIS or Radar because those large ships full of containers can suddenly become a very small little green or red light with a ghostly image around it creeping along thru Thimble Shoal Channel (or the North Channel, Chesapeake Channel)

Not so bad on the way out, but coming in at night it can get confusing due to all the other lights on shore and in the water.
Thanks for the heads up. We plan on sailing only during the day as we're novices. But we're also stupid former navy buddies, so we may sail at night if we start feeling sporty.
Old 24-11-2015, 05:59   #26

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Oh no...old navy buddies. You know the combined IQ of two guys is half that of just one guy.

You have approx. 8 hours of sailing daylight with only 3 or 4 hours of warmer daylight.

Be careful...

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:05   #27

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

Fuel availability not an issue in Solomons or Deltaville. You can anchor in Solomons behind Zanhiser's mooring field or further NW up Back Creek opposite Spring Cove. Both of those marinas have fuel docks. In Deltaville, Norview has fuel but there is none at Dozier's (both in Broad Creek). No anchorage in Broad Creek, either. If you are going to anchor in Deltaville, go around to the south side and enter from Piankatank River and anchor in Fishing Bay. It's a 40 minute run from the Bay but is the best anchorage in the area and Fishing Bay Marina at its head has fuel.
Moody46CC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:08   #28

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Oh no...old navy buddies. You know the combined IQ of two guys is half that of just one guy.

You have approx. 8 hours of sailing daylight with only 3 or 4 hours of warmer daylight.

Be careful...

Plus it appears they are going to have crappy weather with rain and possibly North winds nearing 20 knots on day two. (that's for here. The winds may be lighter up North a ways)

Sure you don't want to leave the boat on the hard down here for the Winter. It's about $150 per month for a boat that size in Rescue, VA

There's also a place in Urbanna I believe that charges $3.00 per foot/month if you decide you want to bail on the way up.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:22   #29

Be aware that the mouth of the Potomac can present some bad wave action with wind and current running in opposite directions. Try to make that crossing with favorable conditions.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 06:33   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Plus it appears they are going to have crappy weather with rain and possibly North winds nearing 20 knots on day two. (that's for here. The winds may be lighter up North a ways)

Sure you don't want to leave the boat on the hard down here for the Winter. It's about $150 per month for a boat that size in Rescue, VA

There's also a place in Urbanna I believe that charges $3.00 per foot/month if you decide you want to bail on the way up.
Leaving it on the hard near Hampton Roads is a realistic and possible bail out option. We'll play that by ear, but I'm 99% sure we're dumb enough to beat north into anything short of a nor'easter.

We're keeping a close eye on the weather, studying our charts and taking note of 2nd, 3rd, and 4th options. I'll keep this thread updated when possible with pics and details.