Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 16:11   #16

Boat: Seafarer 26
Even though it has not been said it appears to be leaving in the dark of night type of arrangement without papers.
While I can certainly understand the drivers a shorter voyage to a place that will give you amnesty would be well adviced. The only thing that you could afford would need a good going over. Keel bolts checked/replaced. All through hulls reseated, cleaned, stuffing box repacked, all boat hardware checked out, All new standing rigging. While that is being done check the pulleys on the mast since they will most likely be worn out. The hardware that connects the spreaders to the mast. You will really need to consider extra emergency running rigging. The engine and sails. And spare sails. A monitor wind vane, compass, ssb radio, antennas, Emergency transponders, life rafts. We have not even gotten to food stores and water. This is just too much in too short a time even if you knew how to sail and plot your way around storms.
If you become de-masted you are done. Can't fix that. If you are committed to this very foolish plan get a very solid full keel boat like an allied seawind or sparkman and Stephens.
Old 01-08-2011, 16:19   #17

Boat: Columbia 41
Re: No Experience, but Need to Make a Voyage - Advice Requested

Not to add to the negativity, but are you having legal problems and seeking to flee the US? At your intermediate ports of call and when you get to where you are going (ever the optimist, I) you will need Passports to clear customs. If you are on the run, your names may appear on someone's bad-guy list. So, D.B. Cooper, you need to think about this a lot more.
Old 01-08-2011, 17:18   #18

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

From GeoPowers:

Quote:
Another horse beaten into submission waiting to ascend to the top ten list:

"Hi! I'm new to sailing, boats, and water in general. In fact, I've never even seen a boat. BUT, I have a dream to (fill in): [circumnavigate in a year/liveaboard/sail solo nonstop around the world]. I've had this dream since before birth. Can anyone tell me briefly what I need to leave? Like what boat should I get, how to make money, and how sails work, and what laws and rules there are and stuff? I plan on leaving in 2 weeks. Oh, by the way I'm a fill in: [middle-aged divorced man/soldier in a war zone/23-year old single girl/as cluseless as they come]."
Post #13 in the thread, The Top Ten Dead Horses:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post728128

Michael
Old 01-08-2011, 17:31   #19

Boat: Westerly Centaur

I don't understand the 8500 miles.
Why would anyone need to cover such a vast distance from anywhere in one go to seek socio-political whatever. If you were leaving the US, then Canada, Mexico, Bahamas etc etc are all within easy reach.
If you just want to pack up and sod off on a boat to get out of the rat race then shorter hops are a better answer surely. Perhaps a run to somewhere sedate to get the hang of sailing before heading to your intended Utopia.
Old 01-08-2011, 17:41   #20

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Kon Tiki remake?

Sounds like Seattle to Brisbane, give or take a few miles.
Old 01-08-2011, 18:09   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad View Post
If you were leaving the US, then Canada, Mexico, Bahamas etc etc are all within easy reach.
I think he's tried all them:

Quote:
David.Freeman

I think he has looked up the price of 8 airline tickets by Qantas.
Try Aeroflot.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 01-08-2011, 19:30   #22

Boat: Santana 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Plan B
Not to add to the negativity, but are you having legal problems and seeking to flee the US? At your intermediate ports of call and when you get to where you are going (ever the optimist, I) you will need Passports to clear customs. If you are on the run, your names may appear on someone's bad-guy list. So, D.B. Cooper, you need to think about this a lot more.
In the immortal words of Merl Haggard "he who travels fastest, goes alone"
Old 01-08-2011, 19:50   #23

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobleshift View Post
If this is life or death, or someone is fleeing, and you don't have a choice, then that's the way it is.
BUT as others have said, this is a very very bad idea. . . .
And if you are fleeing then a sailing boat is not a viable method. At each country you visit you will need valid passports and documentation. And even in some countries you will have to "check-in" and out again with local authorities at each stopping place.
- - Unless you plan to sail "non-stop" these are required. And sailing 8500 nm non-stop is not something you and your kids are likely to survive.
- - The world is no longer "open and free," each and every country has strict requirements about visitors be they on boats or land. And trying to hide your way through is not likely to work as invariably you will get into some kind of boat trouble and need assistance or rescue.
Old 01-08-2011, 20:14   #24

Boat: None yet

Nobody is after us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillylad
If you just want to pack up and sod off on a boat to get out of the rat race then shorter hops are a better answer surely. Perhaps a run to somewhere sedate to get the hang of sailing before heading to your intended Utopia.
That is perhaps the most accurate way of describing the intent behind the voyage. Georgia to Madagascar and yes, I do believe smaller hops are the reasonable choice.

But there is no Utopia in this world, only places where it's less difficult to live a moral and wholesome life.

I appreciate all the warnings. The message I am getting is that we need to prepare very prudently, get as much practical sailing experience as possible over the next months and break the voyage into smaller hops, making stops to resupply along the way.

There is no hurry. If 8,500 miles in three months is not reasonably feasible, then six voyages of 1,500 miles will have to do.

There was never any intention to troll. I've been a board moderator before; trolling simply is NOT cool. Granted, I should have lurked more before posting. Concedo.
Old 01-08-2011, 20:57   #25

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

So GA to Fossa-land.

How old are the kids?
How old and what gender the adults?
No sailing experience, how about any boating experience?
Is the $10k to buy, buy/outfit or buy/outfit/cruise?
Is the $10k really that firm?
Is there somebody waiting for you there?
Old 01-08-2011, 21:17   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

If I may ask, why is flying not an option? For the $10K you want to spend on a boat you could shop for cheap, one way tickets to most anywhere on the planet. Also doubt you will be able to do this trip by boat for $10K. It would take a LOT of luck to find a boat for that price that would be built well enough to do the trip and in shape to do it.

Also, a 30' boat will at best have bunks for 6-7 people, more likely 4-5. Then fitting provisions and water for 8 is problematic.

I assume by GA you mean the state of GA in the US and not the country on the Black Sea? If the state, sailing to Madagascar by the direct route would also be problematic as you would be going the wrong way against the wind and currents for much of the trip.

Not saying the trip is impossible. People have done more with less, but from everything you have said so far I would say the odds are very much against success.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:20   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

$10k will not even be close. My old sailboat cost 11.5K and I put another $10K into it. It is a very solid boat with a low hour yanmar engine. It just needed a little love. The yanmar sold the boat as an engine repower can easily eat more then $10k.

I've been sailing off and on over 35 years, I sail singlehand and still have tons to learn. The other think is three people and my boat is full up. no way I could fit 5 on board let alone 8.

8 people, well your going to need a bigger boat, just for the water, food and fuel. 8 people for a month of water is 200-300 gallons if your very frugal, A 100 gallon holding tank too. No way will you ever find that on a $10k boat

Plus boats break....alot, so you have to know all the boat systems and how to repair them at sea with spares. Reality is you need $50-100K and 3-5 years minimum sailing.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:21   #28

Thanks for the questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
How old are the kids?
How old and what gender the adults?
Children 2-11
Lady 30-40
Gentlemen 30-40

All healthy.

Quote:
No sailing experience, how about any boating experience?
Minimal.

Quote:
Is the $10k to buy, buy/outfit or buy/outfit/cruise?
Is the $10k really that firm?
Possibly, but I doubt it will go any more than marginally higher.

Quote:
Is there somebody waiting for you there?
No.

Adelie, now that I have answered, please feel free to make your recommendations.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:26   #29

Sailorchic:

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
If 8,500 miles in three months is not reasonably feasible, then six voyages of 1,500 miles will have to do
These would be two week voyages. The biggest challenge I see is crossing the Atlantic.

Skipmac:

Yes, the State of Georgia.
Old 01-08-2011, 21:35   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.Freeman View Post
Sailorchic:

These would be two week voyages. The biggest challenge I see is crossing the Atlantic.
Have you heard of the trade winds? Know anything about ocean wind and currents?

Around the equator winds and currents are from the east. From GA to the Caribbean and around Brazil you are going dead against it. It's a tough sail for very experiences sailors in bigger boats.

It's easy to say, oh we'll just do a few 2 week hops but it isn't that easy. There are not always easy 2 week hops available, places to stop and places to cross the Atlantic. The world just doesn't divide up in nice even pieces like that.

What exactly is it that you are trying to get away from? Have you looked into permanent residency requirements in Madagascar?

And again, why not fly? In the long run it will be cheaper, guaranteed.
Closed Thread