Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-06-2022, 10:47   #1

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Newport to Bermuda fatality

It is with regret that I share this post, thoughts and prayers for the family and all the affected. Better than half the fleet is still on the corse and most are south of the Gulf Stream, at last glance.

The narrative below is from the race press office.

We regret to report that our Fleet Communications Office for the 52nd Bermuda Race received a report of a crew overboard on the racecourse this afternoon.

The crew of the yacht Morgan of Marietta, a 42-foot sloop, reported that its captain, Colin Golder of New Providence, N.J., went overboard early this afternoon in strong winds, approximately 325 miles from Bermuda, and did not survive.

After extended effort, Mr. Golder’s body was recovered by the vessel’s crew, and the vessel is returning to the mainland. Next of kin has been informed.

The Bermuda Race Organizing Committee, the Cruising Club of America, and the Royal Bermuda Yacht Club wish to express sincere condolences to the family and crew.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2022, 12:19   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Newport to Bermuda fatality

Amen to that..
Condolences and commiserations to the family.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 02:56   #3

Re: Newport to Bermuda fatality

Very sad for the man/woman who died, their family and the crew who are now going through hell and questioning everything they did.

What should have been a bucket list item has turned into a nightmare for everyone.
SV Tom Crean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 15:38   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Indeed, condolences and commiserations for all involved.

Ann
Old 23-06-2022, 07:05   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 57

I was in the same race in the same weather, just out of range of their mayday call and could hear the responses. The conditions were rather gnarly at the time, we had winds over 30 and gust in excess of 40 with building waves and confused seas. I'm still in Bermuda at the RYBC and heard at the docks that the skipper and another crewmember went forward and both went overboard, the crewmember was tethered and survived while the captain wasn't tethered. I can't verify the veracity of that account, but it is sad news indeed.
Old 23-06-2022, 07:33   #6

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I was in the same race in the same weather, just out of range of their mayday call and could hear the responses. The conditions were rather gnarly at the time, we had winds over 30 and gust in excess of 40 with building waves and confused seas. I'm still in Bermuda at the RYBC and heard at the docks that the skipper and another crewmember went forward and both went overboard, the crewmember was tethered and survived while the captain wasn't tethered. I can't verify the veracity of that account, but it is sad news indeed.

Thank you Zanshin, I read today this was the captains 10th race it was said he was 74.

Safe travels
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, newport