Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 14:04   #1

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Newfoundland southern coast suggestions

We will be arriving into the Bras D'or lakes this week and would like to go up to the southern coast of Newfoundland for perhaps 10 days.

We are looking for suggestions on:
(1) good initial landfalls in Newfoundland from the Big Bras D'or
(2) good and interesting anchorages and locations on the south coast
(3) opinions on if it is worth visiting St. Pierre
(4) opinions on if it would be more enjoyable to go back through the Bras D'or or down the east coast of Cape Breton island.
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2022, 21:40   #2

Boat: 1974 Pearson 26
Re: Newfoundland southern coast suggestions

1. Closest point of land is Port Aux Basques. A fine spot it is.
2. There must be 100's...at least. Many abandoned communities as well.
3. St Pierre is an interesting curiosity of French territory. Best Croissants et patisseries ever!
Also, their alcohol is not taxed...so...plan on stocking up if you go.
4. You can't go wrong with either option. Pay particular attention to the weather if heading over to the Rock. It gets nasty. Louisburg on the south coast of Ile Royale (AKA Cape Breton) is a federally funded re-creation of coastal life in the mid 18th century. It is well done. Google it. The "Capers" say they're really Newfs who ran out of money on the way to Toronto! Truly excellent people in both places.
Full disclosure: I'm a newb sailor originally from Newfoundland and I've been to all the places you're asking about. My vocation is airline pilot. PM me if you like.
Rol1964 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2022, 02:46   #3

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean for the upcoming season. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland again next summer.

Thanks for the suggestions. We decided to make our first stop Isle Aux Morts, where we have now been for two nights. The people here are wonderful and the scenery is amazing. The cloudberries (bake apple in the local lingo I guess) are just starting to ripen and the cod are biting. We are looking forward to heading further east down the coast and will head to Little Garia Bay today.
Old 18-07-2022, 03:12   #4

Thanks for the suggestions. We decided to make our first stop Isle Aux Morts, where we have now been for two nights. The people here are wonderful and the scenery is amazing. The cloudberries (bake apple in the local lingo I guess) are just starting to ripen and the cod are biting. We are looking forward to heading further east down the coast and will head to Little Garia Bay today.
Old 18-07-2022, 05:14   #5

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We really enjoyed Grand Bruit, Burgeo, and Grey River. Find a reasonably short fiord and anchor at the end of it. Truly incredible scenery. A visit to St Pierre is definitely worth it. Good shopping and a few very good restaurants, think Breton cuisine. France and nth EU must spend a fortune keeping it going.
Old 18-07-2022, 06:30   #6

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.facebook.com/groups/268778300122540

Tags
newfoundland