I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask these questions ... I have tried following some cruiser blogs but most I find very vague relating to the questions I have below ... it is also very frustrating trying to find answers on Canadian Government
Sites. Possibly some of you may already have gone through this process and either have some answers you could share and or could point me somewhere where I can get answers to some of my questions below?
We are married and recently retired Canadian landlocked Sailors trying to determine if it is possible/feasible to travel around Europe
by Sailboat. Or if this is some wishful daydream. At this stage in our lives we certainly aren't rolling in money
so in order to afford to travel Europe
, the thought of living aboard a vessel sounded like something we might be able to do until we heard people mentioning there are International Travel complications one has to be aware of.
All that aside, is it even possible (Covid 19 also aside) for Canadian Citizens to:
a used Cruiser Sailboat 28' to 32' in a European Country for the sole purpose to cruise/live aboard several European Nation ports
for a year or two? we would be interested in visiting ports
in the; UK, France
2) if possible, what registry would need to be applied to the boat
a) could the boat
keep the it's Country of Origin
b) would it require changing the Registry to a Canadian Port being we are Canadian Citizens (understanding the intention is to sell the boat after our European Tour ... AND ... there is absolutely no way we would sail across the ocean ... OR ... import
the boat back to Canada)
3) Is there one European Wide Visa available that can extend Canadian Citizens the ability to tour European countries for up to two years? Or ... Is each Nation State requiring separate Visa's ... in 1987, the last time we were in Europe, we couldn't go to France
because they required a Visa be applied for and accepted before we left Canada
which we didn't realize until arriving in Europe. The US currently offers Canadians a 1 Year Cruiser Visa
4) If a visa has run out, can we be forced to leave a port especially in unfavorable weather
conditions? We are very much fair weather
5) Has Covid 19 restricted Cruiser movements over the past 6 months if so how does that affect any Visas?
6) With lock downs in certain areas of Europe especially Italy
, has food
still been accessible to non resident foreign Cruisers?
7) Some Countries including Canada
, during the height of the outbreaks in March, April and May were restricting all non essential boat traffic ... has this been an issue in Europe?
8) Is it possible to get Visa extensions/renewals without first returning to Canada?
9) One site I visited suggests that before getting a 1 year Visa, 3 consecutive 90 day visas must have been obtained and used without incident ... is it truly that difficult to travel Europe without a European Union Passport these days? In 1987 we were able to travel to the UK, Holland
, Switzerland, and Italy with only Canadian passports.
Thank you in advance for any information you can share.