Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2016, 14:10   #46

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Newbie emergency! 911! All captains in Newport Beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammy View Post
Well, I made it! Conception lived up to her reputation! I saw 9kts close hauled in the middle of the night! In San Luis now. Lost the engine 5 miles out. I am now a qualified sailor!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Congratulations! Did you stay at Cojo? BTW Port San Luis used to be the cheapest place along the coast to haul out, not sure now though.
BTW was that you I saw sailing in Monday afternoon around 4pm? I was driving down 101 passing Pismo at the time.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 14:20   #47

We did a 30+ hour trip without stopping. Port of San Luis is 300 first month, 600 the second month and, 30 bucks a day after that.

Nammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 17:14   #48

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Well, I made it! Conception lived up to her reputation! I saw 9kts close hauled in the middle of the night! In San Luis now. Lost the engine 5 miles out. I am now a qualified sailor!

Congratulations on completing what looks to be a most interesting passage.

Now to the repairs. Good luck with engine. Any chance it turned out to be fuel problems from a stirred up tank? Seems to be one of the more common problems on delivery trips of boats that have recently changed hands.

Matt

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 10-08-2016, 17:25   #49

The engine will be a motor. I'm pulling her out next week and putting in a hybrid.

Old 11-08-2016, 12:08   #50

Boat: 1977 Cape Dory 30K

Yea!!
JD-MDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:37   #51

Matt. I am pretty sure it was fuel. I changed the filters and primed her but, I'm not sure that the second tank will even let the fuel go. I didn't wanna push my luck by pulling off the cracked up hose on it. I tried the basics and, I had been up for about 30 hours. I was so close to my end point and, the engine was, shall we say difficult the whole way. It was leaky and smoky. I'm pretty sure the head gasket's blown. I had steam coming out of the exhaust and, there was just a touch of oil in the water. No water in the oil though. The temp was fluxuating a lot. I think that was clogged heat exchanger, maybe? It ran well enough and, the towing was free. The wind was gone so, I made the call. Like I said, I'm going green anyways. I have it in the budget so, I might as well get on with it. Most of the wiring issues are related to the engine as well so, I take care of that issue at the same time. I am definitely excited to see a nice shiny clean engine too with no fuel tanks and, a little tiny motor! Thru hulls, begone!

Old 11-08-2016, 13:13   #52

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Matt. I am pretty sure it was fuel. I changed the filters and primed her but, I'm not sure that the second tank will even let the fuel go. I didn't wanna push my luck by pulling off the cracked up hose on it. I tried the basics and, I had been up for about 30 hours. I was so close to my end point and, the engine was, shall we say difficult the whole way. It was leaky and smoky. I'm pretty sure the head gasket's blown. I had steam coming out of the exhaust and, there was just a touch of oil in the water. No water in the oil though. The temp was fluxuating a lot. I think that was clogged heat exchanger, maybe? It ran well enough and, the towing was free. The wind was gone so, I made the call. Like I said, I'm going green anyways. I have it in the budget so, I might as well get on with it. Most of the wiring issues are related to the engine as well so, I take care of that issue at the same time. I am definitely excited to see a nice shiny clean engine too with no fuel tanks and, a little tiny motor! Thru hulls, begone!

Congrats Nammy, you will love the electric. What will your solar array consist of?
Wattage ?What batteries have you chosen?
We are solarizing a Tristar with a Warp9 motor. No more oil in the bilge. Lol. Etc Etc etc
Good luck!
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 13:36   #53

Looks like the panels I will use are about 257, maybe the 280 ones. In going to build a huge pulpit and stack as many as I can on there. The Electroprop.com guy, James said he thinks three will be enough but, I'm going to do as many as I can afford to put up there. In not sure exactly what batteries they are. I'm going with whatever James suggests to go with his particular system. Www.Electroprop.com will give the particulars on that. He wants to sell me so much power! I keep telling him that I'm trying to be a purist with a safety backup but, he's hilarious. I'm super cheap and if he's not careful, I'll copy Sailing Uma and build my own. So, he's been pitching me a beta system that's 72 volts and some simpler parts. For me, it's all about the charger/controller system. I don't want to mess with that side and, theirs is very user friendly as far as info I can get on the fly. Its an expensive purchase. I'm beefing him to keep me under $10 K but, i think it will be worth it in balance of systems and lack of stops at the fuel dock for something other than ice. And, if I'm really good, I won't have to stop for that either!

Old 12-08-2016, 19:27   #54

Hey Nammy, yes James is definitely the guru of conversions.
He offers the patience and knowledge while working with you.
Our warp0 is a hoppedup golf cart motor, it's has brushes and weighs about 180#. The flanged mount James has is very sanitary with his brushless motor.
My wife worked with Green shed conversions with a framework but I had to revamp it considerably. We are using a belt drive system. Instead of the flange type motor frame, we utilize end plates. We have 12v dry cell lead batteries.
Virtually mount in any position above waterline.
(I guess I'm off topic from your original post.)🌞
Old 12-08-2016, 19:33   #55

Sounds like you could sell your Diesel engine to a diehard diesel fanatic to recoup some cost of your conversion.
When you say hybrid do you mean sail regent or genny asisted or both ?
Old 12-08-2016, 20:21   #56

Yeah, diesel for sale! It ran fine. It just needs a rebuild.
Anyways, by hybrid I mean that, mostly, I'll shape my sailing around how well the electric works on its own with solar and wind. However, if I do need a back up, I'll have a propane 3k generator to run the electric motor indefinitely. I may have only an hour and a half of full power hull speed, right? But, even if it's dark, I can hit that little generator and run 3 to 4th as long as I have propane.

Old 12-08-2016, 20:22   #57

3 to 4kt...

Tags
captain, emergency, enc, newport, newport beach