Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 18:32   #16

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31
Re: Newbie Advice / experience

I am thousands of miles away on the Florida Panhandle but if you find yourself down here I would be happy to have you aboard. I am not an skilled sailor myself so you would be wise to not take notes. Just don’t fall off the boat, don’t leave the seacock open in the head, and don’t vomit in the cabin and we are good.
Salty Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:01   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Gee, Ken, you’re really harsh in your opinions about having inexperienced crew on board for a passage.

We treat all of our guests and crew as no smarter than our autopilot.

Oh, the irony...
benvanstaveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:18   #18

Boat: Outremer 55L

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvanstaveren View Post
Oh, the irony...

Well, on review rather then ‘treat’ I should have written ‘We consider our crew and guests to be no smarter than the autopilot’. This is simply our non-PC shorthand to say that until or if our crew/guests prove themselves, we have no expectations of any proficiency on their parts. It removes any disappointment, frustration, or discouragement on both our parts. And helps reduce risk even when an inexperienced crew is on watch.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:22   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ben VS.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:12   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxykty View Post
Well, on review rather then ‘treat’ I should have written ‘We consider our crew and guests to be no smarter than the autopilot’. This is simply our non-PC shorthand to say that until or if our crew/guests prove themselves, we have no expectations of any proficiency on their parts. It removes any disappointment, frustration, or discouragement on both our parts. And helps reduce risk even when an inexperienced crew is on watch.

I have to apologise, I'm an incorrigible smartass - I just couldn't pass up snarking a little.

Joking (and such) aside, I fully understand your point, and it's a good one
benvanstaveren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:52   #21

Boat: Southerly 57

There are 2 parts to learn - how to sail and how to cruise (or whatever you want to call it). How to sail can be done in anything and in all types of waters. It’s all the nuts and bolts of sailing a vessel and learning basic terms and safety. You can be a great sailor, but not know anything about going to sea. I learned tons sailing on lakes and sounds on smaller boats up to the mid 20s. I didn’t know anything about cruising. Diesels, docking, anchoring, navigation, communications, etc etc. so I took a week long live aboard course. Super informational and taught me what I needed to make the next step. Good luck!
Belezar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, charlottetown, enc, halifax, new brunswick, newbie, nova scotia, PEI, Shediac