Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2016, 07:49   #1

Newbee looking for forgiving cruiser

I say newbee because I have owned many power boats. Its been 10 years since I've sailed. Would like to spend more time cruising blue water and want the ability to go anywhere if that's what happens. Been looking for about a month now in the 45ft range, 100k to 150k budget. I want a medium to heavy displacement only because I am assuming she will be more forgiving as I come up the learning curve. Full keel or skeg rudder. Currently looking at Vagabond 42, Tayana 42, Hylas 44, Hallberg-Rassy 42, Tayana 45/48. A Nauticat 44 would be nice but haven't seen many around.

Not sure if a Hunter 456 would be as forgiving as the others but it's definitely in the price range.

My preference is to cruise by sail and not performance sailing.
stevenm2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:29   #2

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Newbee looking for forgiving cruiser

Steven, you will love getting back to sailing. And it won't take long to get comfortable again.

You have named some very capable boats. I am very happy with my 1989 Tayana V42 which I have owned for 17 years. I cruise mostly costal Southern California and Northern Mexico. She is very strongly built and sea kindly. The cutter rig is very easy to manage and balance. She has good storage and tankage. The builder is still in business and provides good support. And I think she is very nice looking too.

Look carefully at black iron fuel tanks for any leakage. And the pointy back end does limit space in the cockpit and provides little room for solar panels.

Good lucky and enjoy your boat search.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:49   #3

Re: Newbee looking for forgiving cruiser

You are headed down the right path, some good boats on your list. Have fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2016, 08:54   #4

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Might consolidate this with the other thread on same. As often reading what one member has posted on a topic will spark great thoughts in another CF member, which they'll then share.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 09:01   #5

Boat: Nauticat 32

It seems you prefer a heavy cruiser to a light racer. Safety, strength and sailing comfort first. Good for both "newbies" and "oldies". Good choices. Maybe also other 40+' Nauticats would do.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 10:24   #6

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Bristol 45.5 is also worth considering as the lifting centerboard and the roller furling main are both robust and give you gunkholing ability and a quick way to reduce sail in a blow with a short-handed crew.

I was skeptical about this until I delivered one offshore in big air. Main sail shape ain't great, but after 20 knots TWS, that's not an issue!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 10:26   #7
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenm2016 View Post
I say newbee because I have owned many power boats. Its been 10 years since I've sailed. Would like to spend more time cruising blue water and want the ability to go anywhere if that's what happens. Been looking for about a month now in the 45ft range, 100k to 150k budget. I want a medium to heavy displacement only because I am assuming she will be more forgiving as I come up the learning curve. Full keel or skeg rudder. Currently looking at Vagabond 42, Tayana 42, Hylas 44, Hallberg-Rassy 42, Tayana 45/48. A Nauticat 44 would be nice but haven't seen many around.

Not sure if a Hunter 456 would be as forgiving as the others but it's definitely in the price range.

My preference is to cruise by sail and not performance sailing.
I'm a cruiser, but some may not consider me too forgiving. ;-)
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 11:36   #8

Steven,

Take a look at Beneteau 47 a great bang for your buck!
It is a nice cruiser with good displacement and easy to single hand with all lines leading to cockpit. With the comforts of home she gets my vote.

Cheers and Happy Hunting

Captd
Captdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:08   #9

Boat: Westsail 28

Hi ,you left these two out . Same hull just different cockpit . Personally I like the 42 , mid cockpit and aft state room .
WESTSAIL 42 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
WESTSAIL 43 sailboat specifications and details on sailboatdata.com
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 18:17   #10

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

A friend of mine is selling a Nauticat 43

Tags
cruise, cruiser