Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2020, 17:17   #31

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: New to sailing - some questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Any good places to look for used outboards? I’m striking out on Craigslist.

In my experience it is difficult to find late-model used outboards particularly in the 8-15 hp range people usually want for tenders. Maybe things are different in your area. The problem is that the boats they are on typically outlast them and so the market is thin. Maybe things are different in your area.

Dealers and marinas sometimes have them, or know who is selling.
Old 28-12-2020, 08:21   #32

I drop a bag of ice in the fridge for weekend trips off the dock - the refer is 12v off the batteries most likely & this reduces the number of cycles for the compressor- also gives me ice for a Bev or two at anchor!
Old 28-12-2020, 11:46   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
In my experience it is difficult to find late-model used outboards particularly in the 8-15 hp range people usually want for tenders. Maybe things are different in your area. The problem is that the boats they are on typically outlast them and so the market is thin. Maybe things are different in your area.

Dealers and marinas sometimes have them, or know who is selling.
I found one that I may pull the trigger on. A 2.5hp 2017 Yamaha. I don’t have experience with the smaller yammie’s but the larger ones were always good.
Letterkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2020, 23:45   #34

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

If you're familiar with power boats, you know about engines, inverters, and auxiliary generators. The big difference is that a power boat, with the engine running a lot of the time, makes a lot of extra electrical power, so refrigerators, and even electric stoves, are not an issue for current draw, except at anchor. The you have the gen set.

Most boats in a club or association have some kind of dinghy. If not, I strongly second the two person inflatable kayak idea. We had one, and it got used a lot. Easy to have in the back of the car. 15 minutes, and you're on the water. You'll use it more than you ever imagined. aside from the current boat under discussion.

If you do get a dinghy that can take a motor, Batteries, and charging are an issue with the Torqueedo. A little outboard with a gallon of fuel will go a lot farther than a Torqueedo or an electric trolling motor and 100 lbs of batteries. You can figure out how to store a couple of gallons of gas somewhere in or on your RV. Or, back to that inflatable kayak, for the small number of times you would use it on this idea, and the many other times you'll use it.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 18:07   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfislandfred View Post
If you're familiar with power boats, you know about engines, inverters, and auxiliary generators. The big difference is that a power boat, with the engine running a lot of the time, makes a lot of extra electrical power, so refrigerators, and even electric stoves, are not an issue for current draw, except at anchor. The you have the gen set.

Most boats in a club or association have some kind of dinghy. If not, I strongly second the two person inflatable kayak idea. We had one, and it got used a lot. Easy to have in the back of the car. 15 minutes, and you're on the water. You'll use it more than you ever imagined. aside from the current boat under discussion.

If you do get a dinghy that can take a motor, Batteries, and charging are an issue with the Torqueedo. A little outboard with a gallon of fuel will go a lot farther than a Torqueedo or an electric trolling motor and 100 lbs of batteries. You can figure out how to store a couple of gallons of gas somewhere in or on your RV. Or, back to that inflatable kayak, for the small number of times you would use it on this idea, and the many other times you'll use it.
I’m debating now to do just the kayak or an inflatable and outboard. I found a 2018 Yamaha 2.5hp that’s asking $575 and appears to be in good shape. Just debating if that will be worth the investment and hassle to carry around or just do the kayak.
Old 31-12-2020, 19:05   #36

Boat: Newport 30, Sirius 21

I'm more of a rowboat guy, so my advice is skewed that way. I own one of those 2.5 hp Yamaha outboards, and it's a sweet little motor. I use it on an 11 foot glass row/sail dinghy sometimes, for fishing, or to transport supplies.

If you get the usual inflatable dinghy with a motor mount, you won't have a good row/paddle boat. Moving around with a noisy motor is not the same as quietly rowing.

I still say you'll enjoy the kayak more. No fuel, no maintenance, no need to store the motor and fuel somewhere special. If you get a boat later, and add a "real" dinghy of some kind, you will be glad to have the kayak for extra guests, or when you're in a quiet spot.
The real advantage of they kayak, though, is how much you will use it in lakes and sheltered spots, out of the back of your car. I was surprised how much use the inflatable kayak got, when we had no plans to be out on the water at all. Driving somewhere, we would stop for an hour at a little lake, have a picnic, and go for a paddle.
gulfislandfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 21:48   #37

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

If you're thinking of a torqueedo, get the epropulsion spirit instead. Streets ahead.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:08   #38

Separate question for the group. When performing our orientation on the boat, the instructor mentioned not putting the lines into the self tailing outhaul and grinding on the winch to unfurl. While I understand the concern that you do not want to force something and damage the sail, is this usually done in practice? I’ve seen people use electric winches for the furling mains which, if anything, would be more risky for damages.
Old 06-01-2021, 14:18   #39

Boat: Tartan 3800

It depends whether the person doing it is strong enough to do it by just pulling on the tail, that is, just using the winch as a snubber.

If you use the manual winch, you have to be delicate about it and investigate any binding.

If you use an electric winch, well, I don't have one, and so I'll let someone else answer.
Old 07-01-2021, 09:11   #40

My Family member owns 35.1 - nice boat. There was a known issue with B&G MFD screens delaminating though, they just had to replace theirs and B&G is not willing to own the issue and replace it , so it's an out of pocket expense.

Sharing a boat is not great in my view, unless you do it with people who take exactly the same care as you or better. Otherwise it turns into frustration. It also can end up being more expensive than owning a nice, but maybe slightly older boat due to extra fees, restricted use, etc.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 13:20   #41

Boat: Tartan T4400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Separate question for the group. When performing our orientation on the boat, the instructor mentioned not putting the lines into the self tailing outhaul and grinding on the winch to unfurl. While I understand the concern that you do not want to force something and damage the sail, is this usually done in practice? I’ve seen people use electric winches for the furling mains which, if anything, would be more risky for damages.
You shouldn't have to grind the winch. As long as there is a bit of a breeze the sail should unfurl on its own. We use the electric winch in low speed and once a few fee of the sail are unfurled it goes on its own. Yes you need to ensure it is not binding using either a manual winch or electric.
Old 09-01-2021, 18:29   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by George_SD View Post
My Family member owns 35.1 - nice boat. There was a known issue with B&G MFD screens delaminating though, they just had to replace theirs and B&G is not willing to own the issue and replace it , so it's an out of pocket expense.

Sharing a boat is not great in my view, unless you do it with people who take exactly the same care as you or better. Otherwise it turns into frustration. It also can end up being more expensive than owning a nice, but maybe slightly older boat due to extra fees, restricted use, etc.
I think it works well in my situation. Would be less than the monthly operating costs alone with any size boat in just slip and insurance costs. I’ll end up getting my own down the road. Right now, it just comes down to what we are comfortable spending and how much we will end up using it.

Tags
sail, sailing