Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2021, 09:34   #31

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)
Re: New Member - Going the opposite direction?

This from Kasten, in particular, looks like a great selling point:

A minor advantage of familiarity with the junk rig is being able to impress dock side wags by knowing all about lizards, sheetlets, euphroes, snotters, and bowsing tackles....!

As is this

I asked the skipper about reefing the junk rig. He had just passed around fresh mugs of hot chocolate, so I expected a brief discourse on the subject. Instead, without saying anything he walked over to the main mast and with one hand released the main halyard just enough to let it slip over the belaying pin, paying out about half of it and then belaying it again. The boat was reefed. He did not put down his mug of hot chocolate... and he did not spill any.

My kind of set-up.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 13:12   #32

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

That's a good looking boat boatman61, do you know the boat? I'd love to know more about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Easy to handle sails..???
Don't come easier than a Junk Rig..
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 16:18   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
Oh jeez now I have another fabulous new boat to lust after. Thanks a lot

(It's harder being a inveterate boat-shopping addict than you think. Sirius 35ds recovery therapy is expensive as bleep!)
OK, now you have me wondering about the German built Sirius line of pilothouse / motor sailors which i found prior to posting here. I see they are a little smaller but pack a punch with equipment. While I'm starting to lean towards a day sailor for simplicity and learning, there is something about the motor sailor style (Nordhavn 56 as an example) that will likely remain on my dreamers bucket list.

thanks
N4061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 16:36   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by N4061 View Post
OK, now you have me wondering about the German built Sirius line of pilothouse / motor sailors which i found prior to posting here.
The Sirius DS35 is definitely worth taking a look at, although I didn't propose it as it would take some effort to get it back to the United States and many Americans are also afraid of metric nuts, bolts and screws.

If you feel adventurous, you could cross the Atlantic with them. As someone new to sailing, perhaps as part of the ARC Rally. It's a feasible project with a very satisfying outcome, if you can spend the time.

There are also a few very comfortable Scandinavian manufacturers producing capable ships for the use in medium latitudes.
Joh.Ghurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 18:22   #35

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
OK, now you have me wondering about the German built Sirius line of pilothouse / motor sailors which i found prior to posting here. I see they are a little smaller but pack a punch with equipment. While I'm starting to lean towards a day sailor for simplicity and learning, there is something about the motor sailor style (Nordhavn 56 as an example) that will likely remain on my dreamers bucket list.

thanks
I think they now have a 40-footer. Someone here was buying one in a thread I searched. Might be a bit above your budget tho.

While I agree, based on comparing notes with my skipper friends who live in both power and sail worlds, with the poster who said your sailboat will "need" to be longer than your powerboat, Sirius really does seem to do a lot to make things fit and their space spacier (A separate workshop on a 35-footer? What?!)

I just gotta figure out a way to get on one.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
Old 07-03-2021, 19:20   #36

I'm trying to follow the great inputs provided from this great forum and scheduling a few hours out on the water with a sailing school to see if this is something I want to follow. Hopefully this will occur this week. If all goes well I will sign up for a training class.

IF I wanted to purchase a small boat to learn what would be better, a Cat designed boat with its super wide beam and movable keel (don't care for lost of interior space) or a skinny fixed keel boat like an Aileron 20'.? Totally confused at this point. thanks
Old 07-03-2021, 19:23   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I think they now have a 40-footer. Someone here was buying one in a thread I searched. Might be a bit above your budget tho.

While I agree, based on comparing notes with my skipper friends who live in both power and sail worlds, with the poster who said your sailboat will "need" to be longer than your powerboat, Sirius really does seem to do a lot to make things fit and their space spacier (A separate workshop on a 35-footer? What?!)

I just gotta figure out a way to get on one.

I have current factory pricing on the 31 and 35 if you are interested.

John
Old 07-03-2021, 19:43   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: New Member - Going the opposite direction?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
That's a good looking boat boatman61, do you know the boat? I'd love to know more about it.
Sorry.. other than it being 40ft no I don't, I picked it off a Junk Rig site..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 08:56   #39

Quote:
I'm trying to follow the great inputs provided from this great forum and scheduling a few hours out on the water with a sailing school to see if this is something I want to follow. Hopefully this will occur this week. If all goes well I will sign up for a training class.

IF I wanted to purchase a small boat to learn what would be better, a Cat designed boat with its super wide beam and movable keel (don't care for lost of interior space) or a skinny fixed keel boat like an Aileron 20'.? Totally confused at this point. thanks
There's a lot of sailing clubs you can join once you have some courses done and rent their boats. That might be a better way to get your feet wet. No maintenance. Just the fun and learning.

Sailing is not hard if you're doing it in good weather in normal winds.
sea2ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 09:10   #40

Quote:
I have current factory pricing on the 31 and 35 if you are interested.

John
Thanks, PM'd you
Old 09-03-2021, 21:28   #41

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Surprised there wasn’t more talk about going to a cat
Old 10-03-2021, 08:08   #42

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Surprised there wasn’t more talk about going to a cat
Could it be that a cat is like buying and maintaining two mono hull sailboats?
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 11:01   #43

[QUOTE=mvweebles;3358820]I too have thought about going from trawler to sail. I doubt I will, but have definitely thought about it.

Thanks for your thoughts, I agree with you on most all points especially ER access. When we researched and purchased our four trawlers one of the top three "must haves" was a walk in ER and space to work on the engine. To this day I would not change this requirement in a trawler but also realize I'm switching boat types and missions. The only small sailboat builder i found (so far) who offers a workshop adjacent to the engine is the German built Sirius models.

I'm quickly adjusting to the fact any sailing I may perform in the future will likely be 90% day sailing thus I can live with out significant ER access. It is very easy to look at boats larger than one requires for the true planned usage. Fun stuff....

John

Best of luck to you.
Old 11-03-2021, 12:45   #44

Mid Size versus Day Sailor

In talking with a sales person about their boats (I know to be careful) I'm told that learning to sail on a mid-size boat is easier than a day sailor. I know this is not true on a powerboat so I have to ask if this makes any sense?

Are day sailors (two sails) that much different than a mid size (30' - 40') sail boat. Thanks

John
Old 11-03-2021, 13:55   #45

Re: Mid Size versus Day Sailor

Quote:
In talking with a sales person about their boats (I know to be careful) I'm told that learning to sail on a mid-size boat is easier than a day sailor. I know this is not true on a powerboat so I have to ask if this makes any sense?

Are day sailors (two sails) that much different than a mid size (30' - 40') sail boat. Thanks

John
At my club they teach ASA 101 (learn to sail) on Soling 27s. These are daysailer that are former Olympic racing boats. They are easy to sail, and the ones with self-tacking jibs are easy to sail singlehanded.

They are also sturdy enough that I'll take them out of the outer harbor and around the lighthouses in moderate conditions. (They are built like 27-foot-long canoes, so you can't take on water; no sailing in waves breaking over the bow)

You can learn a lot about sailing trim, how to handle wind and waves, rules of the road, tacking, landing on a ball, crew overboard, all the essentials of the sailing part of sailing.

Jumping to a 30-foot cruiser, you learn about systems and things like docking as well (but you already know that from power boats!)

I like separating the two (our ASA 103 is taught on j-27s) but others here will advocate for starting out on a cruiser.

Tags
member, new member