Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 06:31   #1

New Hopeful Sailor

I am a current law student deciding to become a sailor! I have 5,000 and live in florida. would either of these boats work to quit law school and learn to sail around the caribbean? I have no idea how to sail, will probably coast it for awhile to figure it out and try bartering for lessons. If anyone has advice would be great- negative advice not needed! I am sailing out! I dont have a boat yet, but these are what I am looking at! I am trying to stay below 3,500

1978 TANZER 22' SAIL BOAT or 1978 North American Sloop Weekender
-Adjustable swing keel/ kick up rudder and tiller
-21 Ft. fiberlass hull, no leaks or soft spots
jer033044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
You need to study the old thread "Cruising on $500/mo" or otherwise known as the minimalist cruising thread. There is a lot of good information there.
- - Living on the boat is not a major problem, even a 22 footer for a single male although it will definitely crimp your style when it comes to shacking up.
- - There are many vibrant and small live aboard communities of young and old folks in the Florida Keys and South Florida. However, it is becoming difficult to find an area close to the "action" that has not been pressured out of existence by local condo/home owners. You just have to be creative in locating them.
- - Living anywhere, land or water, requires some source of income for keeping up your boat so that it is not classified as a derelict and then the officials start making your life miserable.
- - I would not recommend sailing out of the USA waters as your life would become even more complicated and expensive. Other countries love folks who bring and spend money and don't like folks who are hiding and not contributing to the "economy" of the country. Not to mention a hundred other complications involved in staying alive outside your home country.
- - So Yes, get the boat and gunkhole around Florida, maybe all the way around and up the west coast to the Gulf States. From Florida to Texas there are more places and opportunities to find yourself and build the life you want - than you can possibly stop at. And then there is the east coast of the USA where your costs are really only gasoline for the outboard to push the boat and food for you.
- - Buried in these "waterway" shore communities are some real and honest folks who have not yet been ruined by "big city" lifestyles. Real old fashioned home town places where you can visit/live and get "rebalanced" again.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer033044 View Post
[I]... would either of these boats work to quit law school and learn to sail around the caribbean? ...
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, jer.

Either will work as well as anything else in that price range - which is to say not very well, at all.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:35   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi,

I would definitely stay with the law school. Law is a good business and will buy you a better boat and a couple of other toys in no time. While becoming a lawyer, you can take sailing lessons, join a sailing club, go for a charter out there. Al these will let you learn at a good clip and better judge what sort of boat you want for your sailing adventure.

Quitting your law school would probably be the longest way to sailing there is.

If I were at a low budget I would not buy a boat right away but rather look for a crewing opportunity. If you are a good crew, not only you will keep your 5000, learn a lot, and maybe also earn a couple of bucks.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:47   #5

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
I would not recommend staying in Law School or leaving Law School as I don't know the "whole story" of his decision or desires. What I do know is that some people are just not ready yet for such a rigorous lengthy amount of "education" without the perspective of how it will affect/benefit their later life.
- - So getting away and a major lifestyle change like living and traveling on a boat can possible facilitate a maturing effect which will or maybe will not - provide the mental justification for returning to pursue a law career. He just might find another career choice that is more personally rewarding both mentally, morally, and financially.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 07:48   #6

My cousin is a lawyer and hates her job; she would love to go back and undo that decision. If you have a ton of loans out though you need to figure that in. It sucks because even if you're young and adventerous loans are loans and debt is debt. If you have a bunch of debt you might need that lawyer job to pay them back.

As someone said above, get a small boat and sail the hell out of it locally. I'd go even smaller: a dinghy you can strap on top of your car or at least a trailer boat and make sure you have a place to put the boat. One of the hardest (and most expensive things) about boats is storing them somewhere when not in use. Absolutely figure that out or don't bother getting it.

One of the best pieces of advice I got with sailing is that you should never use it to escape from anything. It's really hard and demanding, probably more so than anything else you've done to this point. Owning, sailing, and living aboard my boat with my family is harder than my time spent onboard a fast attack submarine, as a frame of reference.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:37   #7

Boat: Vandestadt ketch 42
Some great advice above...

You don't mention how old you are or how many years you have studied/still to go nor where you a located in FL... nor have you addressed the underlying reason/catalyst... for your decision. As a "good" lawyer to be, you must be able to view both sides of the equation. In UK Universities there was always a "Sailing club" does yours have one? If not then visit some local sailing clubs with a six pack and offer your services to crew. This is especially good with experienced and thristy owners.

Once you have gained the basics then you are better placed to make whatever decision you want. Its your life and noone can or should live it for you.

Regards

Alan
anglooff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:43   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Finishing a law degree doesn't mean you have to type wills all day. Its the mark of an educated person and you can get a job in many buisnesses.

And Barnie is right, leaving school now may be the longest way to getting a sailing boat.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote