Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2014, 16:44   #1

New Guy...

Hey, new guy here. So new it hurts.

Thing is, I'm a landlocked 46 yr old that has been dreaming of owning and mastering a cruiser for years. Fact is, don't even know how to sail. At all.

But I'm going to, though. I've got a handful of years and then I'll be retired and am aiming at getting a cruiser and spending an obscene amount of time in the Caribbean.

My question is, for a guy that is just starting the baby steps of all of this, what are the best books to read to get the knowledge base up before I actually put my hand on the wheel? I have a some time, so it'd be nice to get 'edumacated' before I get to the doing part.

Thanks
TR
Texas Raider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2014, 16:55   #2

Boat: Macgregor 21
Re: New Guy...

I'm new too - and just like you, I have been dreaming for many years about someday cruising. Until 2009, I had never even been on a sailboat - but then went out on an 18 foot Hobie catamaran.

In November 2013, I bought an inexpensive Macgregor Venture 21 - solely for the purpose of learning to sail. I've been out a few times on it and plan to go out this weekend. I live in Arizona, so I'm just as landlocked as you are.

At some point, you have to start taking the steps to make the dream become a reality. Advice that has been given to me - (1) go sail and get hands on experience; (2) take an ASA sailing course; (3) join a local sailing club and participate in their events/races, etc.; (4) check around for people who want "crew" for day sails.

I've found that I can only learn so much by sailing alone. Through success and horrible mistakes, I have learned some, but it would sure be nice to have someone to show you how to do it right!

So, jump in and make it happen!
Flamingo1 is offline   Reply With Quote