Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2022, 10:20   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Neuse River, Pamlico Sound, Albemarle Sound

I have a couple of months that I can cruise before returning to home base for a family issue.

I was thinking of spending this in the Carolinas of the Neuse River, Pamlico and Albemarle Sound and am looking for suggestions of places to sail/cruise to/visit.

Be aware I draw 6'4" and have a mast height of 59'.

Thanks
Old 18-05-2022, 10:55   #2

Re: Neuse River, Pamlico Sound, Albemarle Sound

I used to sail in the Neuse R near Oriental when I was a camper and counselor at Camp Seagull there. The wind was plenty strong and the water warm and brackish. Oriental was a great little town near Arapahoe NC with a shrimp and beer street festival. Love the memories there. The Neuse connects up with the Intercoastal Waterway which leads to Morehead City— another great stop , on Atlantic .
Smooth Move is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 11:02   #3
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have a couple of months that I can cruise before returning to home base for a family issue.

I was thinking of spending this in the Carolinas of the Neuse River, Pamlico and Albemarle Sound and am looking for suggestions of places to sail/cruise to/visit.

Be aware I draw 6'4" and have a mast height of 59'.

Thanks
BTW - I have sailed through the area 3 times the last 5 years but was in a semi rush. But I know/understand the area in a general way.
Old 18-05-2022, 12:52   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Last year, I planned on rushing through, and spent a month. Lovely area. And I didn't even go far up the Neuse! Pamlico Sound has Oriental and Ocracoke, the latter absolutely not to be missed. If you do a circuit, you can go up the ICW in one direction, and through the Sounds in the other. Through the Sounds you can add Manteo to Ocracoke. Stops on the ICW and diversions therefrom would include "Little" Washington. Between the Pamlico and Albermarle Sounds is Belhaven. I did not go west of the Alligator River, but there are a couple of nice towns like Edenton, that get raves. On the Pasquotank is Elizabeth City, favourite of many. Don't even consider doing the Dismal Swamp Canal, but the trip to it from Elizabeth City is fun and you could always just turn around. Sign up for the Albermarle Loop and get some great deals on dockage. You can have a great time for a month, and there are many places I did not mention. Bear in mind that in rough weather, including late afternoon thunderstorms, it can get wild. Last year I held position outside of Belhaven, for more than a hour of 50 plus knot winds, an experience not soon forgotten. And both the Albermarle and Pamlico Sounds can get very choppy, so watch your weather and tidal flows. have a wonderful cruise.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 13:34   #5

Boat: Other People’s Boats

I grew up in New Bern. So, I’m biased. In the area you are talking about (Pamlico and Albemarle Sounds) New Bern is the largest town with the most “stuff “ to do when you’re off the boat. The downtown area is walkable from the marina and has a lot of good restaurants and shops. The whole downtown area is geared for visitors. New Bern was the capital of NC during the colonial period. There are historical tours and such things aplenty.
CarolinaChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 17:39   #6

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Ocracoke is great for cruisers. safe anchorage with dinghy docks, cheap public transportation, a bunch of stuff to see.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2022, 17:53   #7

Location: Boat currently for sale in Oriental, North Carolina
Boat: Nauticat NC36 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Last year, I planned on rushing through, and spent a month. Lovely area. And I didn't even go far up the Neuse! Pamlico Sound has Oriental and Ocracoke, the latter absolutely not to be missed. If you do a circuit, you can go up the ICW in one direction, and through the Sounds in the other. Through the Sounds you can add Manteo to Ocracoke. Stops on the ICW and diversions therefrom would include "Little" Washington. Between the Pamlico and Albermarle Sounds is Belhaven. I did not go west of the Alligator River, but there are a couple of nice towns like Edenton, that get raves. On the Pasquotank is Elizabeth City, favourite of many. Don't even consider doing the Dismal Swamp Canal, but the trip to it from Elizabeth City is fun and you could always just turn around. Sign up for the Albermarle Loop and get some great deals on dockage. You can have a great time for a month, and there are many places I did not mention. Bear in mind that in rough weather, including late afternoon thunderstorms, it can get wild. Last year I held position outside of Belhaven, for more than a hour of 50 plus knot winds, an experience not soon forgotten. And both the Albermarle and Pamlico Sounds can get very choppy, so watch your weather and tidal flows. have a wonderful cruise.
I have been sailing in and around the Neuse and Pamlico sound off and on for about the last 13 years and all of the above is true plus more.
I am currently docked at Point Marina up Broad Creek off of the Neuse. If you need a place to base while you are there, they don’t take transients but the price is right at 175.00 a month.

Al, S/V Finlandia
Old 20-05-2022, 05:44   #8
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by svfinlandia View Post
I have been sailing in and around the Neuse and Pamlico sound off and on for about the last 13 years and all of the above is true plus more.
I am currently docked at Point Marina up Broad Creek off of the Neuse. If you need a place to base while you are there, they don’t take transients but the price is right at 175.00 a month.

Al, S/V Finlandia
6' depth, plus other than a low price what's to do/see there?