Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-07-2018, 11:42   #31
cruiser

Re: Nervous About North Channel Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I'd be nervous also. Careful of the bears if you go ashore.
Yes, many sailors are devoured by bears every year (the bruins apparently spurn powerboaters). If attacked you might offer up the little dog as a distracting appetizer, though some would turn over their spouse and keep the dog. Either way, it makes for an exciting hike.

Have a good trip!

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:48   #32

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul J. Nolan View Post
Yes, many sailors are devoured by bears every year (the bruins apparently spurn powerboaters). If attacked you might offer up the little dog as a distracting appetizer, though some would turn over their spouse and keep the dog. Either way, it makes for an exciting hike.

Have a good trip!

Paul
You could offer up a few jet skiers also.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 11:56   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarlet View Post
Ok... so, mixed reviews on bears.. we always hike with a bear bell.. and make noise. We will keep Poptart on a leash. What about the Moose? any advice on how to avoid? will bear bells work on them as well? what if we encounter one?
You realize, this whole bear thing is just some poor attempt at humour. Go hiking, just keep the dog on a leash. Bears are no problem. Moose rut is in October. The most you might get out of one in August is a mildly curious glance.
Old 26-07-2018, 12:27   #34
cruiser

Quote:
Oh no...are all islands infested with bear?
Quote:
What about the Moose? ... what if we encounter one?
Quote:
[I'm] worried about the distance) how is it getting into the bay past frazier point? It looks very narrow, and shallow. (2-3')... anyone have problems? or is it easier than it looks?
Quote:
I"m worried about getting back in time. especially if there is bad weather.... how is the weather up there?
Perhaps it would be best if you just took a valium and read a book about the North Channel.

Paul
Paul J. Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:29   #35

Boat: Morgan 381 38 feet

We have done trailer sailor trip 2 times and their itinerary is online. Great trips. Fishing is good if you know what you’re doing. Otherwise forget it because license is very expensive. You will need screens or netting for night. Small towns very quaint. Get a chart plotter or Navionics on your iPad and you will be fine. You can follow charts way up channels and anchor in very secluded areas. I had 3.5 draft and no problem. Many on trip had small dogs and no issues. Quit worrying and enjoy yourself. Can launch at Spanish or little current. You can spend 2 weeks easy.
twig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 12:42   #36

Boat: Pilgrim 40
Send a message via Yahoo to nitpik Send a message via Skype™ to nitpik

Scarlett:
Some of the posters here are having a little bit of fun at your expense. I have canoed, camped, hiked and sailed Georgian Bay and the North Channel for over fifty years. Yes, there are black bear in the region, so you do want to be aware, and respect them. In all those years I have only run into two in the area you will be sailing. Both ran away as soon as they saw me (and no, I am not THAT ugly!) One was swimming from island to island (Croker to Fox). I think the local tourism office hired him to put in an appearance on as many islands as possible, so the tourists could get their photos.
The fact is, in this part of the world they are just not much of a concern. If they know you are there, you will likely not even see them. Just follow the usual rules, like not leaving food or cooking remains lying around.
It would be a major shame if you let your concerns take the upper hand, and cancel your planned visit to one of the nicest cruising grounds in the world!
Just come! It will be for you a most memorable sail - your biggest regret will be that you only had a week! By the way, in my opinion, the suggestion that Baie Fine, Killarney, Covered Portage and the Benjamin group are all possible in a week, is a bit of a stretch. Wonderful destinations, but I don't think I would want to squeeze them all into a weeks' cruise.
Old 26-07-2018, 12:51   #37

Scarlett,
I hope we've been able to put your mind at ease. It is a beautiful place to cruise and would hate to see you miss out on it.
Old 26-07-2018, 12:59   #38

Quote:
Ok... so, mixed reviews on bears.. we always hike with a bear bell.. and make noise. We will keep Poptart on a leash. What about the Moose? any advice on how to avoid? will bear bells work on them as well? what if we encounter one?
Do you really think a bell tied to your shoelaces will scare a big bad bear? It'll only slow you down running. At least the moose won't be interested in Poptart. Keep the biggest tree you can find between you and the moose. They can't climb trees like a bear so that's another option----climb a tree. Good luck and enjoy your trip.
Old 26-07-2018, 14:36   #39

Boat: Hunter passage42

The only real wildlife to be concerned about is the varieties of poison ivy on Claperton island. (Not making light of the rare chance of coming across a bear).
Enjoy....
You'll love your cruise.
degouwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 16:02   #40
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Your Ports Guide is an exc ll my resource.

You will also need charts. The charter company will likely provide something. For preplanning, Navionics on a Mobil device would be great. (Though I recommend a proper chartplotter for underage, that is provided on the charter yachts.

Wear bear bells or just make noise while walking through the woods. Take Deep Woods Off or Muskol mosquito repellent and Pic coils to burn (like incense) in the cockpit. Have screens ready to put in at sunset.

Right now, there is a very serious forest fire burning near Killarney.

Must see:

1. Covered Portage Cove (you can hike up the rocks and look over all the boats in the anchorage)
2. Baie Fine (great hike up to re summit from Marianne Cove and another from The east end. Near “The Pool” to Lake Topaz.
3. Benjamin’s / Croker
4. Mosquito Cpve
5. Bells or Sturgeon Cove
6. Anchor Imn at Little Current
7. Heywood Island, Browning Cove
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2018, 19:43   #41

One of the top ten cruising grounds in the world. If you really want top quality info, join the Great Lakes Cruising Club to access Anchorage by Anchorage member reports. The best way to spend extra loot is to book 2 weeks instead of one. I've boated Georgian Bay and the North Channel for 40 plus years and the areas you're about to visit are truly spectacular. There are lots of humans where you're going so don't worry about wildlife.....they've already learned how to avoid you. Have a great holiday!
LooseGoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:31   #42

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by twig View Post
We have done trailer sailor trip 2 times and their itinerary is online. Great trips. Fishing is good if you know what you’re doing. Otherwise forget it because license is very expensive. You will need screens or netting for night. Small towns very quaint. Get a chart plotter or Navionics on your iPad and you will be fine. You can follow charts way up channels and anchor in very secluded areas. I had 3.5 draft and no problem. Many on trip had small dogs and no issues. Quit worrying and enjoy yourself. Can launch at Spanish or little current. You can spend 2 weeks easy.
I didn't think the fishing license was very expensive... it was like, $30 is (CAD) which was about $20 USD... and the outdoor card was free...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 09:36   #43

Boat: 2011 Lagoon 450F

Quote:
Originally Posted by LooseGoose View Post
One of the top ten cruising grounds in the world. If you really want top quality info, join the Great Lakes Cruising Club to access Anchorage by Anchorage member reports. The best way to spend extra loot is to book 2 weeks instead of one. I've boated Georgian Bay and the North Channel for 40 plus years and the areas you're about to visit are truly spectacular. There are lots of humans where you're going so don't worry about wildlife.....they've already learned how to avoid you. Have a great holiday!
We will be there the last week in august.. (24th - 28th).. I'm assuming mosquitos and people are still plentiful? I was hoping the kids would be back in school that week, and there would be less people...

Never really thought of mosquitos...we will have to bring lots of protection...
scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 10:27   #44

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
We will be there the last week in august.. (24th - 28th).. I'm assuming mosquitos and people are still plentiful? I was hoping the kids would be back in school that week, and there would be less people...

Never really thought of mosquitos...we will have to bring lots of protection...
No … the bugs will mostly be gone by then, along with the mosquitos and black flies .

When I was cruising the North Channel it was quite busy through July till about mid-August. After that most of the visiting boats started heading south again, so you’re going at the perfect time. It will be warm, (mostly) bug free, and not very busy.
Old 27-07-2018, 10:30   #45

Boat: C&C Mk 1 33'

Charts are excellent and CYC in Gore Bay is very helpful. Also, check out the area with Google Earth. The Ports Cruising Guide has a section for cruising at the back that is very helpful. Do sail the North Channel- I have sailed in several areas including the Thousand Islands of St. Lawrence Seaway and Chesapeake Bay; North Channel is the best by far. Do not miss the opportunity. I moved to Southern Calif from Mich and have gone back for a week at Gore Bay twice. Before that, even though I had a boat in the Great Lakes, I still chartered out out of Gore Bay several time to avoid the long passage to the area.
I would go east to Baie Fine for hiking and swimming at the "Pool" and work myself back to Clapperton Island Bay on the south side. Chart Plotters make navigation very doable. Avoid McGregor Bay.
Rhwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada