Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2017, 11:35   #31

Boat: Catalina 350
Re: Needing to sell sail boat. . .

Sailorbob8599

When I sell my boat yet to be bought I want to employ you for your copywriting skills.

With that copy, Clean Boat and Professional Pics, you can add 5K on asking price.

Nice Job.
Rooster
roostermt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2017, 12:23   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger;2353515
Make sure everything [I
actually works![/I] and if it doesn’t, or you can’t afford to fix it, admit as much. It will probably be found out during a survey anyway, when it can, and probably will, be used as a lever for a lower price.
Why would you have something that doesn't work on your boat?
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 01:10   #33

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostermt View Post
Sailorbob8599

When I sell my boat yet to be bought I want to employ you for your copywriting skills.

With that copy, Clean Boat and Professional Pics, you can add 5K on asking price.

Nice Job.
Rooster
Thanks, I'll take that as a compliment Rooster.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2017, 10:50   #34

Boat: Bayliner 3870

Fantastic advice, all of you, thanks!

I'm working on a list of all the upgrades and fixes now. . .from a rebuilt/refreshed and FWC conversion on the Atomic 4 to new rigging in 2011, and new tanks and hoses and new electrical panels and batteries.

Looks like I need to finish painting all the bulkheads and refinishing some teak I started. Lots of half finished projects like that kind of faltered since trying to complete them while living on the boat is tough. The cushions were recently tossed since they were disintegrating. I have one cushion where I spend my time lounging and had custom mattress made for v-berth. . .sounds like painting the seating area and letting new owners price in cushions is the way to go?

I'd like any prospective buyers to be ready to go out sailing. Also, along with pictures, would a video or two of the boat being used help? April 1st is the day I hope to bring my new boat down, so I can start to move off my sailboat and clean it up.

Still not sure ow to price it, but I would feel better taking a lowball from someone who is adventurous and wanted to use the boat vs someone looking for a cheap liveaboard gin palace Not sure if that is foolish or not though
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 09:45   #35

Because it is a Ranger 33, the first thing I would do would be to place an add in Latitude 38. Yes, I know it is a Left Coast magazine, but it is actually read all over the place. The reason I say this is that the Ranger 33 has been written up a number of times in Lat 38 and is considered one of the better small/medium size performance cruisers. It has almost a cult following among Lat 38 readers. It is one of the boats I considered when looking last year, but I ended up with a Tartan 34C which I am very pleased with. The Tartan was filthy, neglected and the motor was sitting in the owners driveway, but the decks were solid (very important) and it wasnt damaged, only neglected. Being in need of a huge cleaning and varnishing, I hardly paid anything for the boat. Yes, I am in the middle of a major refit but I figured any 40 year old boat would need that sort of refit. Clean, clean, clean, and advertise all over the place. Good Luck. Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 10:17   #36

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Sailboatlistings.com is a great website for selling boats too!
Old 24-03-2017, 11:57   #37

Boat: islandpacket

Craigslist of Freecycle
Old 24-03-2017, 14:46   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sailorbob: The reason I suggested a firm low end price is because he already has his other boat. It is a trememdous lot of work to maintain two boats, when your heart has gone to the new one. The OP was very clear he didn't want to sit on it a year. i put those thoughts together with our experience of it having taken 18 months to sell our first Insatiable, and felt that the OP's desire to move the boat justified the low end price. Ymmv.

Scout 30. No, actually that is not so. When you go to varnish teak, you sand it, and that removes the wax, plus you wipe it with turpentine/mineral spirits, and that, too helps with the removal. Using carnauba past wax has never made any of our varnished items un-revarnishable. However, it is only a temporary fix, and doesn't last long. On the other hand, it is quick to do.

Cheers, guys,

Ann
Old 24-03-2017, 23:38   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Sailorbob: The reason I suggested a firm low end price is because he already has his other boat. It is a trememdous lot of work to maintain two boats, when your heart has gone to the new one. The OP was very clear he didn't want to sit on it a year. i put those thoughts together with our experience of it having taken 18 months to sell our first Insatiable, and felt that the OP's desire to move the boat justified the low end price. Ymmv.
Ann
Oh,oh, my apologies Ann, I misunderstood. I didn`t cotton to the fact you were addressing one person who had already purchased a second boat, I thought your advice was general to anyone selling a boat. In my case, I intend to let the boat sell itself but only after I find the right broker. As I commented, anyone can give a boat away, but it takes a good broker to obtain the right price for value offered.
As for selling a boat myself, I look on that in the same way as a person representing themselves in a court of law. What is it they say about that? . . . The man who represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer. ???
Old 25-03-2017, 09:31   #40

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
Oh,oh, my apologies Ann, I misunderstood. I didn`t cotton to the fact you were addressing one person who had already purchased a second boat, I thought your advice was general to anyone selling a boat. In my case, I intend to let the boat sell itself but only after I find the right broker. As I commented, anyone can give a boat away, but it takes a good broker to obtain the right price for value offered.
As for selling a boat myself, I look on that in the same way as a person representing themselves in a court of law. What is it they say about that? . . . The man who represents himself in court has a fool for a lawyer. ???
I would like to politely disagree with both points.

Holding on to a boat for (for example) an additional year (or two) in order to get a slightly higher price benefits no one. In my experience, it takes a year before the seller finally concedes to the true market value of the boat. Add to that loss the cost of an extra year of ownership, and IMHO selling quickly has many benefits.

Too often I have spoken with sellers who tell me the price of the boat equals the price they paid, plus the money they spent on it. That equation is flawed. The true value of a boat is what you can get for it.

I watched a friend with a luxury houseboat pay all the usual fees for 3 years trying to sell, while the boat sat unused. By then she was glad to get ANY offer. I helped prepare the boat for launch, and with the sea trial...which went terribly. Many of the systems, which had been in perfect working order, were now in need of work. The batteries had gone flat and would not hold a charge. The starter motor was unreliable due to corrosion. Several pumps and sensors were "stuck" and needed to be replaced. Truthfully, had she sold the boat on the very first day for half the final selling price, she would still have been ahead. I did not have the heart to show her the math, but was there with the mechanic as he gave an estimate for the repairs.

This is a hard lesson to accept. Boats don't sit well. Ask a reasonable price and sell quickly to someone you like. If you hold the boat your bottom line will likely be even lower, not higher. If the sale price is higher, the only benefit is to your ego...the buyer pays more, you get less when you factor in all the true costs.

As for selling with a broker...your lawyer comparison is flawed. I admit I know nothing of the law (like your analogy) and would be foolish to represent myself in court. BUT I do know everything about my boat. Having anyone other than me represent my boat would be foolish. What most people lack are the social skills to speak with a potential buyer in a positive manner, or the time to spend showing the boat and talking to a lot of tire (fender?) kickers.

Personally, I'm proud of every boat I've ever owned, and sold. And it comes through loud and clear to the buyers. I've been able to sell at the end of the season, saving myself the winter work and costs...and gladly passed that along to the buyer.

And finally, the most likely person to buy your boat is the very first person to contact you. That is the person who has been watching and waiting for your boat to come up for sale. You should do everything possible to sell to the very first person...including a good price. Just think of all the time, work, worry, effort, and money you will save, and how happy the new owner will be. I've been on both sides of that situation, and happy both ways.

When you list with a broker, he will tell you a high price. This helps him two ways...first, you obviously want to hear how valuable your boat is and want a high price. Second, your high priced boat makes his other listings look more attractive. Your overpriced boat helps to sell his stale listings. And the owners of the stale listings are now anxious enough, after waiting a year for an offer, to accept any offer the broker brings now.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2017, 18:10   #41

Hey there HBK, I'm not about to disagree with what you say, but selling a 'plastic jellybean' ... having years, plus hundreds (maybe even 1,000's) hours usage, as opposed to a custom built boat having minimal hours, and nothing but high quality equipment (some of which has never been used or connected), is an entirely different kettle of fish.

Perhaps you didn't read my post #25 ... it's not that I do not know how to sell, it's because I have too much of myself built into this boat and I have a hard time parting with her ... but part with her I must, due to failing health and mobility.
I mentioned this boat was valued by a registered Marine Surveyor at "$140k C$. Replacement cost" the day she was splashed. The broker wants to ask only $35k Cndn ... In commission for just 19 months, I believe she's worth $45k min. I intend to discuss this with him but, I don't think he will put much effort into trying for a higher price.

BMW diesel engine probably has less than 25hrs running time.
Dickinson propane stove and heater, professionally installed has never been connected to a tank therefore I consider them still 'as new'.
A Jabsco manual marine toilet and holding tank system water tested - but never used.
110v/12v electrical systems all installed by a professional marine electrical service ... Even the batteries can be considered "young" for time used in commission.
Powder coated white Spars and s.s. rigging by a local professional rigging shop.
H.D. cruising sails, made of highest quality material by a well known local sail loft. They have been used less than 40hrs.

I recognize from comments made by members of this forum, (that) teak is not a great selling point, or even a consideration for many of them, but I built this boat for ME. I think anyone having the same financial where-with-all would have built her similarly.
Unfortunately, none of us know what the future holds for us in life, particularly when it comes to our health and well being; but I do not agree I must give my boat away, simply because I can no longer sail her, therefore I need to find a salesman to "SELL THE SIZZLE" not the steak. One who knows how to find the right "future owner".
In Real estate, it's possible to employ both "sellers' or 'buyers', depending on which you are needing. No reason there should not be similar people in the Marine Brokerage business.

In trying to come up with a selling price, I believe a fair comparison would be a 'used' Dana 24 of the same keel year. There are a few available having asking prices of more than double what this broker is suggesting for mine, and that's in U$ dollars ... WHY? ... Those Dana's have hundreds of hours, and related wear & tear on everything. Baggy sails, strained rigging, old electrical etc. Mine is all less than 2 years old.
Please don't tell me I don't know my boat or the value it represents for the next owner. It is as good as new. It does need a clean up and polish after two winters at the dock, as well as a haul-out to power wash marine life from the bottom in prep for new application of anti-foul paint. She'll then be good to go for a few years with no replacements required.
Old 25-03-2017, 18:44   #42

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostermt View Post
Sailorbob8599

Nice Job.
Rooster
This is so true, but the clean and professional pics are absolutely critical to a decant sale. How many adds have you seen with crap everywhere and pics that show a close up of whatever, not in focus or pointless items while not showing the overall layout and quality.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2017, 10:41   #43

Boat: American Tug

Hamburking: I disagree with your comment about brokers. Like in all things there are professional honest and ethical brokers, and there are not. If you find a good broker it can make your life easier, both buying and selling. Professional brokers provide a market analysis for each boat before suggesting pricing; the seller, not the broker, sets the price.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 10:56   #44

Boat: Bayliner 3870

Finally listed the boat! Trying to find the time to polish the boat for maximum effect is near impossible. I can understand now why some boat listings are subpar. I wanted to get this done weeks ago but had a couple hours for a rush job yesterday and didn't want waste anymore of the spring NOT having some kind of listing out there all the advice here is appreciated

So here it is for that asked:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...er-183262.html
CoolBeans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, sail