Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2013, 08:27   #76
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Need New Dinghy...Rigid or Inflatable?

Here's a little vid of the Norseboat in action. I'll post one in rougher conditions when I figure out how to edit a vid I've already posted to youtube and no longer have in any other form.

Some crazy Brits recently did the NW Passage in a Norseboat.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 09:26   #77

Boat: 10.3 M wooden gaff sloop

As usual, the dinghy discussion is a hot topic.

I am continually disapointed in the lack of thought that modern designers put into integrating yachts/cruising boats with the inevitable and essential dinghy. Any good cruising boat/ sailyacht design should have a space specifically dedicated for a practical tender, it is a very high priority item.

I very much like the cat dinghy that appears in the second post. Obviously a dinghy design has to compromise between many very conflicting reqirements but the cat there seems to one of many good solutions.

As far as rigid versus deflatable goes; it forces you to rely on a motor, they are un-rowable. Motors on tenders seem like an extremely expensive and complicated (read prone to failure) way to propell a tiny boat, something that, provided it has a decent design, can always easily be done by muscle power. I cannot count the number of times i have rowed all the way back to my boat and someone who got into their dinghy at the same time is still furiously yanking the starter cord and cursing at their engine at the dock... Not to mention that dinghy outboards is the absolute #1 list on hot things to steal, pretty much every port in the world.

The only real advantage of the inflatable is stowability, but i can't help but notice that people rarely stow their fully deflatable dinghies, and of course the RIB cannot be fully collapsed.
As for the protection of topsides; there are these things called fenders that stay on the yacht, which mean you do not have to go around in what is to all intents and purposes a fender shaped aquatic bumper car.
Also another quaint old thing that is worth looking into is called 'seamanship' and 'boat handling skills'; if your rigid dinghy is damaging the yacht, "you're doing it wrong", as they say.

Nuff' said.

I have started on a design for a catamaran dinghy which is nesting; one hull is slightly smaller so it fits right inside the other hull. $$ can make me finish the design . This can be a good solution for excellent stability, decent performance and not much space taken when on board.

I have also made a 3.6 M utilitarian pram meant for decent rowing and you can get this design for almost free from this site;
Bateau.com - boat plans online since 1993
If you read the site you will find the free plans section.
It is made with 6 and 9 mM plywood.

It could me made into a two piece nesting dinghy quite easily. It weighs 38 kg finished, depending of course on the specific marine plywood.

This version got rigid wooden oarlocks in the interests of economy but with proper bronze oarlocks it is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	140810 050.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	72095  

tangvald.wordpress.com
Tcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 09:44   #78

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
My old Zodiac (18 yrs old) is finally calling it quits. As I consider a replacement, I am considering a small Boston Whaler. I understand the Whaler is heavier, but I am wondering what other disadvantages there are to a fiberglass dinghy. Over the years, I have patched my Zodiac numerous times and had to re-glue a number of the factory joints as they aged. It seems to me that a good Whaler is only getting broken in when it's 18 yrs old, while my Zodiac is falling apart.
Ahhh... the hard dink vs. inflatable raises it's ugly head...
I have a 7.5' Livingston. It will plane to scare you with a 6hp. 4 stroke. I see these as sleepers, as you can buy them all day long on craigslist for around $300. I think mine is around 100 lbs., so I use a halyard to get it off and on the boat, by myself. I could do this for up to 200 lbs. if need be.
I find it amusing all the defenders down here in Mx. of inflatables, then here them on the morning net contacting the local inflatable repair service. (Now there's a business you could do onboard).
My only bitch with hard dinghy's is storage. Mine is a little hard to see over while underway. There are pictures of it below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I too would like to see video of the dink planing with four adults on board in a twenty knot chop with a 6 HP outboard.
Ya, me too. I have a 6hp on my little 7 1/2 footer and with 2, it does not plane.

[QUOTE=minaret;1413894]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post

"Self-taught" class, eh? That's a good one. I'm all for people building their own, it's a good thing. Just don't know how much you're gonna learn from yourself.

If we take their eighty hour estimate, and do the usual "double it" for the amateur/marine factor, and we pay ourselves a modest $30 an hour, where do we stand? And that's without figuring in the cost of tools which you may or may not already own. Next we can discuss whether you got a pro finish or not. Some people care whether their gear looks nice or not. And we haven't even looked in to the shipping cost yet either.
I think paying yourself $30 to build your own dink is unrealistic. One could argue the opposite that the knowledge learned from building your own would have it's own merit and value. That said, some DIY'ers should never have started some of their projects. It does take a little bit of dexterity and general knowledge to accomplish such a feat.

Let me also add that the stability of a double hull like the Livingston is fantastic. I weigh 160 and can easily walk around the dink without swamping it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Anchored in San diego 007.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	72097   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1632.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	210.6 KB
ID:	72098  

Name:	Turtle Bay 007.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	72099  
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 10:20   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Minaret,

I clicked on your video, and it came up "This video is private."

Help?

Thanks.

Ann
Old 14-12-2013, 11:04   #80

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcubed View Post
I have started on a design for a catamaran dinghy which is nesting; one hull is slightly smaller so it fits right inside the other hull. $$ can make me finish the design . This can be a good solution for excellent stability, decent performance and not much space taken when on board.
Would love to see some pictures of your nesting catamaran dinghy.
If you have some pictures. Please post them on the Catamaran Dinghy thread we have set up.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post1413947
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 11:07   #81
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Minaret,

I clicked on your video, and it came up "This video is private."

Help?

Thanks.

Ann

Sorry! Fixed that-I think...

Click the link in the top of the vid window to go to youtube and see it full size. Crappy phone cam footage though.

Old 14-12-2013, 11:49   #82

Boat: Allmand 31

We have an 8ft Trinka. She is a joy to row or sail, has inflatible tubes I use only when we go snorkeling (to help me get in the boat from the water), and takes a small motor, too. She's also light enough for me and my 11 year old daughter to hoist up on deck using the spinnaker halyard.

She truly makes our cruising experience more enjoyable.

I'm always thankful we got rid of that boring inflatable and now have a fun boat!

Mary
s/v Glass Slipper
Voyage of the Glass Slipper - Ship's Blog
maryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 12:33   #83

I think my TAKACAT is the bomb. Light, easy to use, goes well. I talk about it here

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...hy-101568.html
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 13:10   #84

Boat: 10.3 M wooden gaff sloop

That sailing dinghy video is nice!

Ok i'll post a pic on the catamaran dinghy thread as soon as i get a chance.

How come i don't see my post here though?? Seems i was on topic.. or does it just take a while?

tangvald.wordpress.com
Tcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:13   #85

Boat: PETERSON 44
I have a 5 lb Danforth with 75 feet of 3 strand in my dinks fwd locker . Thinking this is to small. Most anchor manufactures don't have suggestions for this length vessel.
Fortress has no suggestion for this boat size. Rocna has a 22 lb anchor but that still seems to big. A delta at 14 lbs could do and the BIB crowd might go for this.
The lewmar claw/ Bruce is the choice rated for boats to 12 feet. Except west marine says"2.2lb. Claw Anchor for Boats to 12', 11-7/16"L x 7-7/8"W x 5-7/8"H
WM Model#: 277421
| MFG Part#: 0057901
Availability: Hot Seller. Temporarily out-of-stock. Order Now!
Price USD: $9.79 QTY: –+
Damn it who is buying all the Bruce dinghy anchors?
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:36   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I have one, they are too small. I'd get a small navy anchor (mines a genuine Wilcox) 5 lb with a 3' piece of 3/8" chain works really good.
Old 14-12-2013, 17:38   #87

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

How did we go from dinghy's to anchors?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2013, 17:40   #88

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I have a 5 lb Danforth with 75 feet of 3 strand in my dinks fwd locker . Thinking this is to small. Most anchor manufactures don't have suggestions for this length vessel.
Fortress has no suggestion for this boat size. Rocna has a 22 lb anchor but that still seems to big. A delta at 14 lbs could do and the BIB crowd might go for this.
The lewmar claw/ Bruce is the choice rated for boats to 12 feet. Except west marine says"2.2lb. Claw Anchor for Boats to 12', 11-7/16"L x 7-7/8"W x 5-7/8"H
WM Model#: 277421
| MFG Part#: 0057901
Availability: Hot Seller. Temporarily out-of-stock. Order Now!
Price USD: $9.79 QTY: –+
Damn it who is buying all the Bruce dinghy anchors?
I just designed an 3 lb anchor for my cat dinghy as my other Fortress FX7 Stock is to large and I wanted and anchor that has good set and reset abilities.
Old 14-12-2013, 17:55   #89
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
How did we go from dinghy's to anchors?

Hey, dinghy anchors are important. Anybody else use the anchor buddy or equivalent? I often use a double anchor buddy and a couple hundred feet of 3/8" line to a spiral sand anchor. Excellent setup for people with heavy dinghies on many beaches. No dragging boats up and down beaches.

https://www.qualitymarinesupply.com/...index&cPath=29

Old 14-12-2013, 18:15   #90

Community Sponsor

I use a SS Ground Screw Anchor for my beach anchor.

ground screw anchor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ground Screw Anchor.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	72121  

Tags
catamaran dinghy, dinghy, Gunwale Guard, inflatable