Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2018, 13:41   #1

Need info about selling my boat in Australia

Hi
I want to sell my USA registered boat in Australia.
It's a Vancouver 25.
The yacht brokers here don't want to take her on because it is small change for them, but for me, it's all I have.

Can anybody please offer me information about what exactly I must do to be able to sell my boat here? I have many questions and I'll mantion some:

About getting my boat evaluated- Can I I skip evaluation and pay the tax just per the sale Price?
Is the evaluator a private entity that I can choose? Maybe someone can recommend someone around Brisbane that would take it easy on me with he's fees and with the evaluation?
If there is a difference between the evaluation and the actual sale price- How much is too great of a price difference(in order to not pay extra tax)? 5000$?10000$? Less then that? Even an estimate will help me get an idea.
Do I get a reduction on tax because my vessel is registered in USA?
sailor Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 16:08   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Need info about selling my boat in Australia

When we wanted to sell our previous boat (also US registered), a 36 footer, here in Oz, we had to have it evaluated, done by a friendly yacht broker for a slab of beer, then imported it. You need to investigate, with Australian Border Force (formerly Customs) about how it is done now.

In our case, the broker took a number of pictures, and said all the things that had to be changed for the boat to be sold in Qld. We had to provide an estimate of what the voyage sailing the boat out from the US had cost, in terms of charts, etc. At that time, the way they did it was to subtract the costs of getting the boat here from the broker's evaluation, and then we paid the tax.

My understanding is that the parameters have changed since then. There will be forms to fill out. Pls. note, the used boat market in Australia is quite depressed now. Your boat, if she's in good shape and not needing major expenses, may still sell, but it is what I would call a "niche" boat, most people right now want bigger and showier, so good luck with it all.

Ann
Old 02-12-2018, 21:26   #3

Boat: 50' Ligure power cat
Re: Need info about selling my boat in Australia

To import I think you'll also need a certificate of compliance for any propane, not sure about the electrical and plumbing.
bluenomads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia, boat