Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2016, 07:34   #1

Need help to make the right purchase

My wife and I are looking to purchase the right boat. I like a little performance and she likes more luxury/comfort, etc. We have narrowed it to the following: Hanse 385, XP38, Dehler 38 and Alerion 41 (a little outside of our target price), but it has luxury and ease of sail given self tacking jib, lines to the helm, etc.

We live in Boston (light winds in the summer) and I am the main sailer. My wife is taking lessons, but really likes the entertainment ability rather than sport of sailing. The plan is to have a nice enough boat to move it around in the summer between Newport, Buzzards Bay, Boston and Maine and have it be our second home to sail and get out of the city on the weekends when in locations other than Boston. Given we entertain a lot, I like the ease of selling of the Hanse and Alerion. The XP38 is solid and can also be raced while still offering comfort. The Hanse is more all about comfort. I am concerned about sail quality, the ability of the boat to sail well going back and forth to islands, and destinations noted in open seas. Need to meet wife's needs while still sailing well and the ability to hold its value and not depreciate rapidly. Thoughts on these boats or even other suggestions? Thank you.
Trimaster61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 18:43   #2

Boat: Sabre 402
Re: Need help to make the right purchase

Since spending an afternoon at the Paris boat show exploring the boats and talking with Nils Jeppsen, the X-yachts designer, I have always been impressed with their work. The boats are designed to SAIL. The equipment works, is efficient, well-sized and all the systems seem well thought out. They look good from the outside and on the inside. The interior on the XP38 is not as nice as some others of their designs, (my brother has an X372) but still looks good. The XP38 is a boat you can entertain on without having to make excuses for pipeberths unless you want to have them. The boats you list are all good for hosting parties, as you note. They're each capable sailors for cruising off Newport and up to Maine. The second you mention performance, only the XP fits the bill. That makes me think it may be the only one YOU will be happy with. If your wife wants to entertain but doesn't care much about performance, and you can both enjoy the XP. If you go with one of the others you sound like you will always be wondering if it was the right choice.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase