Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 15:28   #16

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1
Re: Need help dealing with new boat dealership

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair242 View Post
I understand. I have a cruising cat under build right now. Thankfully this company has been pretty easy to deal with.
Having a good contact or dealer is paramount. Good luck.
Congratulations on your new cruising cat. I think that is awesome you got through all the decision making and got it under build.
Old 30-07-2020, 15:29   #17

As far as options go, if they are not factory installed options (and most add on stuff isn't) You should just contract someone to install it. That's what most brokers do. It can run the gamut from terrible work to OK work. Your requests get poorly translated to the installer etc.
Ordering a boat to spec can be very frustrating. Lead times blown, stoppages for things, things done different than you expected, problems in trucking etc etc.

Whenever you can if you can buy an existing boat, new or used, it's far easier. (Heard about the common problem when a couple builds a house only to get divorced after that experience?)
When I was young I ordered a boat. It got half built and the builder decided he was broke. Bankrupt. Chain on the door by the Sheriff. After much negotiation, I managed to get most of it built by them, the next guy in line's deposit mostly finished my boat. He got a hull.

Old 30-07-2020, 15:47   #18

Suggestion is to talk to them about the process to understand what is built at the factory, what is part of the commissioning process, and how the commissioning process is executed - what is commissioned at the factory, what is commissioned by the dealer. Once you understand that, you may have a better feel for why they are not giving you the transparency you seek - it could be that the bulk of your add-ons are variable.

Through a out the 1970s, buying a car was often a factory order process. You specified the paint scheme, package, etc. Some things were installed by the dealer such as tow packages and upgrades sound systems. Buying a boat is much closer to the car buying process of 50 years ago, though even back then dealers had enough volume that they could more easily quote costs.

Bottom line: understand the process first. Then make a decision whether you're getting jacked around.

Peter
Old 31-07-2020, 08:48   #19

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

There are several new Beneteau 381 on yachtworld with prices. https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/202...-38-1-3165124/

Look at the options that the boats with prices have... you said you had the options sheet... so you can easily calculate the price for the boat you want. Maybe knock 5% off that for negotiation and make an offer. I'm sure if you make a reasonable 6 figure offer, the dealer will take notice. If they counter offer, good, you can then go to another dealer and make your offer and have them compete!

BTW, I would expect the dealer to make ("pad") at least $20k on a $300k boat. 6.6% is not much margin, but I don't know if they get a kick-back from the manufacture.
Old 31-07-2020, 09:31   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

zstine, mvweebles, and Cheechako thank you for your replies last night. All very good info. I just wish I would have started here and got everyone's input before calling the two dealerships I've been in contact with.

Thanks again - Sam
Old 31-07-2020, 10:09   #21

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hello everyone, my name is Sam and I've been confused and frustrated over my experience in trying to get a solid price on a new sailboat from a dealership.

I've talked to two of them and I think I'm getting them upset with me and that is not my intention at all.

What I have been asking is how much does it cost for base boat, freight, commissioning, and delivery. One dealership just refused to give me that number. Not in that matter, but side stepped the question so often. I replied with "so its simply a open bill and you can charge whatever you want"? The second dealership was very forth coming with the price.

The other thing I have been asking for is a option price list. The dealership who actually gave me the price on base boat, freight, commissioning, and delivery would not give me one. And you might have guessed, but the dealership who side stepped that question actually gave me one.

I'm having a very difficult time wrapping my mind around all this. I'm super straight forward and expect to be treated as such. But the dealerships have been leaving me with unanswered questions. When all I want is a brake down of where the money is spent on a new sailboat.

Ideally I would be so pleased to get the price on a base boat with freight, commissioning, and delivery with a option price list. And take it from there, but I keep getting pushed around by these people.

Anyone have any ideas? Or could anyone just straighten me out and tell me how this process is done.

Thank you Sam
My guess would be they don't get a fixed price and don't want to eat any increases. If you have pen in hand they will have a price nobody signs blank checks.
Closed Thread

Tags
boat, new boat