Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2021, 11:17   #61

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Re: Need alternative to Pirate flag

Nice idea and thoughts Dadster, a nautical version of the UN flag makes a great statement for a cruiser.

BTW, one of my favorite past boats was a Nonsuch, enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadster3 View Post
I'm toying with the idea of flying a UN flag. I just think the world has become too small, too interconnected and faces too many problems that need to be addressed on a planetary scale. Humans have evolved from the paleolithic bands of hunter-gathers, through the neolithic stage of settled villages, through the rise of the city state during the classical period, and now the modern nation state. I don't think we can afford to continue much longer with the parochial nationalism of the modern era if we are to inhabit a livable planet. We will either find the creativity to evolve or risk perishing as a species. Perhaps we will need some interim step of regional organizations before we can move to a planetary social organization, which is probably some centuries hence even if we manage to survive the current Anthropocene.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:21   #62

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Ouch! Complete with loud, smelly generator on deck. That would definitely cause me to raise anchor and bless my lifestyle that I have many options and don't need to put up with anything I don't choose to. But, I would seethe with resentment and judgment, but that's on me, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Exactly why we go to the other end of the anchorage. Three of these six that rafted up 30' from us were flying pirate flags.
The pirates won ... we moved.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:28   #63

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV__Grace View Post
The globe is cool and might do the job by itself. What do the stars and tri-color flag represent?
I'm guessing that would be the big dipper & crux constellations, along with the French flag
Old 11-09-2021, 11:38   #64

Wow lotta people in this thread should fly this one
Old 11-09-2021, 11:41   #65

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
...EVEN IF REAL PIRATES NEVER FLEW THE SKULL AND CROSSBONES, the clear connection is a statement that grates on me...
I have not read the book, but my understanding is that pirates and privateers put up false flags to try to get close to their prey, then raised the skull and crossbones to terrify the prey into submission.

The statement with that flag was, "We are pirates, submit or we will take you by force". And either way the victims suffered whatever whims the pirates had.

In recent years pirates just don't bother with the flag. They just use force or stealth. But people still die at the hands of pirates.

So when a sailor puts up a flag that means, "I am a pirate..." I think it is in the poorest taste. It puts me off of that person, for good.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:09   #66

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Sailed by one of the local islands today...... probable close to 100 boats there, didn't see any pirate flags, but did see quite a few a these and few that I can't link too on a family forum........

Old 11-09-2021, 12:25   #67

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

It's always politics or guns with you guys.
There is more to life than that
Old 11-09-2021, 12:32   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

pirate flags are one thing....what about the countless plastic and metal guns, bows and arrows, etc, etc that are sold to kids as "toys"...toy forts.....
let's move on the countless video games depicting every possible kind of mindless and mayhem, death and destruction...
adult movies, whudonnit's, murder, mayhem, rape, pillage and plunder, good guys vs. bad guys....war flicks, etc, ad nauseam...
the pirate flag...by comparison...is rather insignificant, in the grand scheme of things..
Old 11-09-2021, 12:39   #69

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougM View Post
Interesting conversation. I read the posts in this thread and tried to count 'anti-pirate flag' vs 'just relax' vs can't tell. Seems like the anti's dominate. This dramatically differs from my experience in real life where most boaters i know think of pirate flags as fun.

I will interpret this as supporting my hypothesis of why the world feels so screwed up and hostile today - it is because those who are excessively serious, judgemental, have strong ideology, etc feel motivated to express on social media (like me stating this hypothesis i guess ) . Those who just live and let live dont speak up to anywhere near the same extent.

Which is all too bad. By any objective measure, the world is a much better place than it has ever been - collectively much more prosperous, 2 billion people lifted out of poverty around the globe in the last couple decades (ref - the economist for what it is worth), no major wars, and a huge number of people who can afford recreational boating!

If the world seems to smell bad, it is because we managed to stick out heads up our own butts. We just need to pluck our heads out and smell the fresh air.
Extremely well said.
It is the noisy minority that gets attention and action. 90% of us are just along for the ride. But we then wonder why things are so screwed up.
Old 11-09-2021, 12:43   #70

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky

Quote:
The Vikings were folks from the northern European countries that were largely barren and hard to farm or make a living, but rather than move and resettle they resorted to raiding and pillaging. That was their choice and they were pirates as well, so the cool association that some folks have about Vikings is similar to my issue with pirates- these same folks would not think the Nazis were cool, so why would they think Vikings were cool (except for pop culture)?
Bu later, in 1066, they invaded England, and after the Battle of Hastings, became, eventually, British.

Old 11-09-2021, 13:01   #71

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It's always politics or guns with you guys.
There is more to life than that
It is always doom and gloom, save mother earth, mankind is bad, the earth will end in 12 years with you guys. That is just as political. There is more to life than constantly thinking the end is near.

Abe
Old 11-09-2021, 13:37   #72

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
It is always doom and gloom, save mother earth, mankind is bad, the earth will end in 12 years with you guys. That is just as political. There is more to life than constantly thinking the end is near.

Abe
Nope, never been any doom and gloom, save mother earth, mankind is bad, the earth will end in 12 years with me.

And when you say "you guys" do you mean the rest of the world?
Old 11-09-2021, 14:03   #73

Boat: Beneteau 373 (37')

Flying Spaghetti Monster works for us
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210911_140143.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	245108  
Old 11-09-2021, 14:14   #74

They may all be Pittsburgh baseball team fans!😄😃😀
Old 11-09-2021, 14:17   #75

Boat: Hinckley, Sou'wester 42, 42 feet

I agree with you. Pirates are presently - not past tense - murdering, injuring, robbing, terrorizing or impeding fellow sailors. A sailor who flies the pirate flag is either ignorant of these events or disrespectful of the victims.
Closed Thread