Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2020, 13:23   #1

need advice on what to use floating clam cleat

i need something,, don't know what. imagine flying a kite. then imagine a heavy bag/anchor on the beach with a nice quality 10-20 ft rope with a biner attached. i walk up to the rope while flying my kite,, i reach down and hook the carebiner to the kite line,, then i walk backwards with the kite line until the kite descends and is at the caribiner,,, i want to walk up and grab the kite now flying at that level and I DO NOT WANT TO hand over hand up the line,, i want to let go and let some sort of cleat mechanism hang onto it.

what can i use to accomplish this? is there a simple mechanism out there that will allow

1 EASY CLIPPING ONTO A VERY SMALL KITE LINE

2. then allow ONE WAY ONLY travel while i walk back,, and THEN LOCK when LETTING GO OF KITE STRING.

i hope this is not hard to understand.. this mechanism would not need to hold more than 50-75 lbs,,, and will not be subject to marine conditions, and will not have any lives depending on it.

something simple and cheap? i've been racking my little brain.
rockwind1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 13:55   #2
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'
Re: need advice on what to use floating clam cleat

You could use a small cam cleat (very different than a clam cleat) mounted to some sort of bracket that has a hook on top to capture the kite line and a loop on the side for the anchor line.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 14:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
You could use a small cam cleat (very different than a clam cleat) mounted to some sort of bracket that has a hook on top to capture the kite line and a loop on the side for the anchor line.
yes,, i have looked at the micro cam cleats (i may have messed up the nomenclature) but the act of easily capturing the line (and then HOLDING THE LINE IN PLACE as i slid it back) was eluding me,,,i can fabricate something,,,but the sailing world is so full of ingenious devices i thought something might already exist that would almost work but with a minor mod

i am also not sure if even the micro cam cleats can clamp down on a 1mm kite line.
Old 06-12-2020, 14:28   #4
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

I am not sure either. My only other idea was a micro ratcheting snatch block but it doesn't appear to exist. Won't you need to capture both lines at the same time for this to work?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 14:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
I am not sure either. My only other idea was a micro ratcheting snatch block but it doesn't appear to exist. Won't you need to capture both lines at the same time for this to work?
well, in my example, i was flying a single line kite, i will only be pulling on a single line, until i let go of it, then i want the fictional mechanism to capture the line and hold it, keeping the kite flying much lower in the air, while i casually saunter up to it. if you mean the anchor line,,, it is fixed on a heavy bag
Old 06-12-2020, 15:50   #6

Boat: Cape Dory 31

How about using a fishing reel? Buy a used one in a second hand store for a couple bucks. Just clamp it to your stern rail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ED685B14-14CD-4DEA-BD58-2849C2283EA8.jpeg
Views:	42
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	228207  
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 16:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
How about using a fishing reel? Buy a used one in a second hand store for a couple bucks. Just clamp it to your stern rail.
well, it is truly going to be attached to a rope which is attached to a anchor bag. plus,,,not sure how i can pull a string thru the fishing reel?
Old 06-12-2020, 16:11   #8

kinda like a midshipman's hitch? slides one way bit not the other......
skyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 18:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyhawk View Post
kinda like a midshipman's hitch? slides one way bit not the other......
yes, somewhat,, aka a tent hitch, i know that knot, but it is not something i can tie on the kite line and walk off,,,to much resistance. need a mechanism which is easier to clip on and slides easier. i need a more fool proof, reliable mechanism that will do what a tent hitch aka midshipman's know would accomplish.
Old 07-12-2020, 06:43   #10

Boat: Sabre 402

Vice-grip pliers. Put a needlenose pair in your back pocket & clip them onto the line next to the carabiner when you want to retrieve the kite.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Vice-grip pliers. Put a needlenose pair in your back pocket & clip them onto the line next to the carabiner when you want to retrieve the kite.
i do not believe that would be feasible since i will have walked approximately 19 meters backwards,, and the caribiner is up there by the kite, acting as a directional. does that make sense?

also maybe i should edit my post but the kite line is very expensive, in my case, and it's not good to step on it, let alone clamp it with something like vice grips,,, a cam cleat would be perfect if it would float on the end of a rope, and also have a way to clip the line into it easily, and then hold it. i guess i will have to mod the heck out of something, was hoping to get an idea here on something that is really close, then do a minor mod.
Old 07-12-2020, 08:33   #12

Boat: Tasman 26

Still trying to picture exactly the need/desing but perhaps these from Nite-Ize, makers of innovative little gadgets, would do:

https://www.niteize.com/product/Figure-9-Small.asp
https://www.niteize.com/product/Figu...iner-Small.asp
https://www.niteize.com/product/CamJam.asp
TomThumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:40   #13

Boat: X-Yachts X4.9 15.0m

Maybe this will work

with a rope loop to attach it to the fixed bag
dcarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomThumb View Post
Still trying to picture exactly the need/desing but perhaps these from Nite-Ize, makers of innovative little gadgets, would do:

https://www.niteize.com/product/Figure-9-Small.asp
https://www.niteize.com/product/Figu...iner-Small.asp
https://www.niteize.com/product/CamJam.asp

SOOOO close on the camjam. i was looking at backpacking tent cord things last night,,, the problem with the camjam is you have to put the line thru it,,,,which i can do with it under load,,, i need something i can clip it into while under load.

the other items have too much friction,,, i need something that slides really easy as i walk with line.
Old 07-12-2020, 09:06   #15

In climbing there is a belay device referred to as a 540. It allows rope through slowly but when under pressure like a fall, it locks. It allows rope to move in both directions, but only locks in one direction so you could pull the kite in then when you release pressure on the line the kite would pull hard and lock it. I have no idea if they make them for anything other than climbing, but maybe a device similar to that would work.

Here's a link to what I'm talking about:

https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/tra...-rescue-belay/

Or, how about just a ratcheting pulley that only moves in one direction? Use it like a winch with a few wraps, pull in the kite and when you release the string, the friction should keep it in place.
ShinyHappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, loa