Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2017, 19:27   #1

need advice IP 31 1988

Hi everyone. My name is Robert and I'm new member from today. I need your feedback about IP 31 1988 which I still considering to buy. After reading all reviews and others (non owners negative opinions about how slow is , how bed is to upwind , about slow roll and etc, etc) I'm very inexperienced sailor (coming from 2014 West Wight Potter 19). Please tell me about your personal thoughts and experiences with a IP 31. I think that true is between and I'm just attracted to this boat ( simply beautiful-blends of classic and new) I'm also thinking about Tartan 37 1979 . I'll appreciate any comments . Thank You all. Robert
robfuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 23:54   #2

Boat: Catalina 36 / Morgan 33 OI
Re: need advice IP 31 1988

Sailboatdata.com will give you lots of information to compare each of those boats and many more.
Island Packet and Tartan are very different types of yachts and will each have plusses and minuses and will fit or not your requirements.
IP is a long keel, beamy, roomy beautifully finished, strong boat will have a more powerful engine and will be comfortable in normal conditions, rocking side to side in others.
The Tartan is a faster, better pointing to weather sailing yacht but it will be tighter quarters below because of it's narrower beam it is a longer vessel, thus faster again, taller mast, and well built for strength, but not as fancy and luxurious or powerful an engine after adding bigger alternator and other things to have refrigeration and making water.
Tartans are often raced for competition and rigging may be something to look at closely, while IP's are mostly used for cruising and tend to be more pampered in different ways.
Dock fees are based on length of boat, bottom cleaning also, a taller mast will require clearance at bridges, cost of sails, rigging is also based on size. Both are wonderful and quality boats, basically shoal draft, just depends on what type of use you will be expecting from each.
Not an easy decision. I would base it on what type of use would you want. Condition, updates, equipment and upkeep are also important factor to consider, more than price.
slowpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 03:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Robert.

Quote:
Sailboatdata.com will give you lots of information ...
“Sail Calculator” (3.55) is also a great tool for comparing boats, especially performance values.
http://tomdove.com/sailcalc/sailcalc.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 04:26   #4

Boat: IP32 ~Whimsy~

Hi Robert, I have some friends who own an IP31 and they love her. According to them, she is roomy, comfortable, and quick enough on her feet (keel ).

If you can hitch a ride on either of these boats, you may be able to make up your mind a little better. That's what I would do. BTW, we love our IP32. And no, she is not a slug.
angelfish2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 06:23   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

IP’s are not dogs, however they are not light wind boats. The lightweight boats you often see in the bay heeled way over in 10 kts of wind will be faster than you in light winds.
However when the wind and waves get up, that advantage swaps and the IP will make as good or better time.
To some extent the performance can be mitigated with sails for light wind like a Cruising code 0.
The standard joke that an IP is a comfortable boat that you can spend time on passages and not be beat up, which is good, cause your going to be out there for awhile.
There is some truth in that.

My opinion is if your looking for a Day Sailor to sail around in the bay, but will spend the nights in the Motel, don’t waste your money on an IP.
However if your planning on spending extended time on the boat and maybe going places with it, then for some an IP is a good boat. They seem to be not hard to sell as they have a following.

All boats have weak links, on an IP of that vintage it’s the tanks and the chainplates. Check those closely, and if the waste tank is aluminum, expect to have to replace it soon.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 07:01   #6

I have a bias here cause I've owned a IP-26mkII and a IP-35.

First off comparing an IP-31 with a Tatran 37 is like comparing apples to green beans. Both are great sailboats but built to different sailing design spec's.
IP's are designed for room and cruising. Where as Tartan's are designed for club racing and overnighting.

Going to either will be a big step from your W W Potter 19.

Slowpoker did a great job laying out the differences in sailing characteristics.

You need to ask yourself a few questions.
What kind of sailing do you plan on doing? Crusing? Racing?
Do you plan on overnighting on it or spending weeks on-board?
How many people do you plan on having on-board?

IP's are indeed roomy. My 26 had more room below than most Catalina and Hunter 30's. But the price she paid for this room was limited pointing ability. Plan on a 90 degree tack window with the IP's. Tartans have better than a 60 degree window.
My IP-35 has the room of most 40's, but she still doesn't point worth a damn.

IP's also have a shorter stick (mast). Meaning they are going to carry less canvas. But this has a plus side. What canvas they do carry is closer to the canter of effort. So they heel less and can carry the sails longer before reefing. To the best of my knowledge, neither of my IP's have heeled over 20 degrees. And I don't even think about reefing until the wind gets to the high teens, low 20's.

However, IP's do have some flaws.
Number one, and it's a biggie.... Chain Plates! The 31 will have the old chain plates and if not already done, with the age of her (1988), replacement costs need to be factored into the offer price. Replacement cost runs from $10k to $20K.
If you plan only on "protected water" sailing, their condition should not be too much of a concern. However, off shore is a whole nother mater.
In either case, a chain plate failure can mean the loss of the rig.

Second issue are the tank's. IP used aluminum tanks. Which are known to leak after a few decades. I believe the 31's tanks are easy to get to. But on IP's larger than the 31, tank replacement is a royal PITA!

Lastly, and not a flaw but a fact about any "full keel" boat, reverse maneuvering (backing) is a steep learning curve!
If you have not already mastered using Prop Walk and Prop Thrust when backing (or any tight maneuvering for that matter), a full keel boat will make you look like a drunken land lubber, when docking.

Now for the good.
IP's are well built boats.
I know of no IPs that have or had a blister problem. IP did not use a "cored" deck.
All factory attached deck hardware have aluminum backing plates.
Starting with the IP-31, all port lights are SS not plastic. Hatches are off the shelf units. Making repair and replacement a snap.
Factory standing rigging is over sized.

With a full keel, all IP's have a shallower draft than comparably sized boats. When grounded, they will only tip so much before resting on the hull.

The "thru the knee's" steering is a sore topic for some. But I like it because it is a very simple and robust "rack & pinon" steering system. READ...No Cables to maintain or adjust.

And did I mention interior volume?

You won't be disappointed with an IP.
But heed the advise from A64Pilot, if you are looking for a day sailor, an IP will be overkill.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 08:20   #7

Thank You all for your input. Definitely I'm not looking for racing boat and me and my wife we are looking for comfortable , stable boat. Not offshore cruising.( Nat yet ,until we will improve ours sailing skills). I found IP 29 1992 which looks in pretty good ( close to Excellent) shape for the age. What do you think about this model?
Thank You. Robert
Old 25-11-2017, 09:05   #8

Boat: ODAY 28

I worked on my friends IP31, solid and roomy for a 31 ft. the engine and systems have good access for working on. also have worked on some smaller Tartans, also a good boat, suggest you and your wife check and sail both boats and see which one best suits your needs.
good luck
boeing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:15   #9

The IP31 should be a fine boat for cruising and living aboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:31   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfuse View Post
I found IP 29 1992 which looks in pretty good ( close to Excellent) shape for the age. What do you think about this model?
Thank You. Robert
I like the IP-29's layout better than the IP-31. The 29 has a better aft cabin.
But it has a taller stick and a deeper draft. But only by a few inches on both.
Even though it is a smaller boat than the 31, it just seems bigger.

It is a newer boat than the 31, but a lot fewer were built. So they are going to be harder to find. Hence, they are going to be more expensive.

But the same problems exist with the 29 as with the 31. Chain plates and aluminum tanks.

To me it would come down to the most bang for the buck.
missourisailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:35   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfuse View Post
Thank You all for your input. Definitely I'm not looking for racing boat and me and my wife we are looking for comfortable , stable boat. Not offshore cruising.( Nat yet ,until we will improve ours sailing skills). I found IP 29 1992 which looks in pretty good ( close to Excellent) shape for the age. What do you think about this model?
Thank You. Robert
The newest one in the best condition is the solution for most.

If you analyze that sentence and boats, you'll find that reality isn't always as simple.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 09:38   #12

Boat: Scout 30

The good thing about the '88 models is they have stainless ports & the bigger 27hp Yanmar. Regarding blisters IPs are not immune.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 13:18   #13

Hi, I purchased an IP 32, 1993 in June, 2017 and I thought I would share some of my experiences. As introduction let me say I am not an experienced sailor and have never owned a boat before.

1. Backing the boat up is very difficult. It was mentioned above and I want to emphasise it again. For me, it is the most challenging part of owning the boat to the point that I don't feel comfortable going out thinking about bringing the boat back.
2. In light wind it is hard (for me) to complete a simple tack. I have to start the engine to turn through.
3. I am not a big fan of the staysail. I am used to the jib and when tacking, the jib it can get hung on the staysail forcing me to leave cockpit to untangle. This is especially true in light wind.
4. Make sure the lines move smoothly. For example, I can't reef the main because the lines are jammed in the boom. This was something that the surveyor did not catch.
5. Check the age and condition of the batteries. After Irma, (I am on the West coast of Florida) the electricity was cut off on my dock and, of course the AC stopped. The heat fried my batteries. I also found out that the battery charge controller was the original and could overcharge the batteries. Newer ones stop charging when the batteries are fully charged.
6. Bilge pumps. Check them. I had 2 and I thought I was good. Turns out the 2nd one was wired incorrectly and started activating every 2 minutes. This was after the batteries died. Do you have a high water alarm. Also, check the manual bilge pump. I am sure surveyor did not do this on my boat.

However, after saying all this, I love the boat. It is so solid and on a reach in a good wind it gives the impression that it can sail forever.

Good luck.
Marshall
Handsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 16:19   #14

Tanks Handsoff.
Wow I start to think about In light wind it is hard to complete a simple tack and I have to start the engine to turn through. What are you referring to Light Wind 5 knots -10 knots. Please , anybody else have the same experience with IP 31?
I'll appreciate any comments ,advice.
Tank you All. Happy Holidays.
Robert
Old 25-11-2017, 17:09   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
need advice IP 31 1988

I believe a full keel Boat just won’t turn as well or quickly as a fin keel. They go straight really well, and you either have stability or maneuverability, it’s tough to have both.
My IP 38 will complete a tack down to about 6 kts of wind, less than that and it won’t, just not enough inertia to carry her through. When you know your barely moving, go ahead and turn the rudder all the way over, don’t just put a little bit in.
Both my Genoa’s go through the slot pretty easy, but maybe that is because on a bigger boat there is more room?
However in 6 kts of wind, I’m barely moving maybe 2to 3 kts, so unless I’m just out for a day sail, I’m motorsailing anyway, cause I’m not getting much of anywhere at 2 to 3 kts.
I’m hoping that my new Code 0 will change that somewhat, but still think it’s going to take ten knots of wind to really get anywhere. I just don’t think she is going to be a light wind Boat, no matter what.

With practice you get used to the Boat in reverse, but it takes practice.
My old fixed prop had a lot of prop walk and once I got used to that it became my friend, I could back and fill in a boat length, maybe 5 extra feet. Now I have an Autoprop and it has zero prop walk, and I miss the prop walk. A bow thruster would be nice, but I don’t see one in my future.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote