Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 15:11   #1

Boat: Morgan OI 33 Pilothouse
Naples FL to Tampa Bay

Hi, I am bringing my "new" boat home next weekend from Naples to Tampa Bay. I have had no experience sailing in Florida. Could somebody please advise me of some good places to drop the hook for the night, or of "affordable" marinas within the ICW. Also, any advise at all on what to be aware of, would be most welcome. I plan to take about three days to do it in.

Thank you!
Transition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 15:48   #2

Boat: Island Packet 27
Re: Naples FL to Tampa Bay

Download active captain. Works well with most iPhone iPad or computers. Lots of information
Onoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 16:07   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

More info about the boat needed....mast height? Draft?
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 19:28   #4

The Boat us a Morgan O.I. 33' Pilothouse.

Draft 3' 11"

Mast height 47'

Thank you for any advise!
Old 01-02-2016, 04:41   #5

You have lots of options. Once you get to Ft. Myers Beach, you can transit the ICW from there to Tampa Bay or stay on the outside. Several places to pop in and out.

There are plenty of anchorages, use the mooring field at FMB, anchor close to the lighthouse at Sanibel, anchorage at Useppa or Pelican Bay (Cayo Costa). There are a few places to anchor along the ICW between Boca Grande and Sarasota. The mooring field at Sarasota is nice. If you stay on the inside between BG and Sarasota, you'll have 10 bridges you'll need to open for you.

As stated, read ActiveCaptain, lots of comments on those routes. If you want to use New Pass at Sarasota, go read the Sarasota Yacht Club webpage on how to transit that pass.
Old 01-02-2016, 05:16   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transition View Post
The Boat us a Morgan O.I. 33' Pilothouse.

Draft 3' 11"

Mast height 47'

Thank you for any advise!
With those spec's you should have no problems inside or outside. Time your departure from Naples to be breasting Gordon Pass at early morning slack water high and lay a course for Sanibel (roughly 340ºM), From the outer marker at Gordon Pass to the outer marker at Sanibel is about 25 miles. From there you can easily make the anchorage on the west side of Cabbage Key in day-light or stop sooner by ducking into Roosevelt Channel, south of Redfish Pass/South Seas Plantation, and anchor up in the anchorage adjacent to/just east of 'T'ween Waters.

From there you can easily make it up to Lemon Bay (on the inside) or Venice itself (inside or outside) in a day. If you choose outside (I would), time your departure from either anchorage to put you at Boca Grande Pass at early morning slack water; or, if the winds continue to be northeasterly, at mid-tide on the ebb. There is a "swash channel" on the north side of the pass but if you are just learning the boat, you'd be wise to run all of the way out the channel before turning north and heading for Venice Inlet. There is an anchorage just inside Venice Inlet, to the south, opposite the Venice Yacht Club that you should be able to handle with your draft; or, make a reservation at the Crows Nest and spend the night on their long dock (and have a nice dinner at there down-stairs restaurant) before continuing on the next day.

From there on the trip is a no-brainer either inside or out tho' if it were me, I'd go outside to Longboat Pass and then, perhaps, anchor up in the anchorage on the west side of Jewfish Key or, if I had enough light to make it, off Desoto Point on the southwest end of the Manatee River. You will have to deal with several bridges, however, and if your late in the day you may have to idle around waiting for a bridge opening (check the latest schedules). From there to Tampa is easy.

For more information on prospective anchorages, click over to ActiveCaptain.com; register (it's free), and use the interactive cruising guide to see what's available where and reviews by other cruisers.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 05:18   #7

Thank you so much for your recommendations!

Mark
Old 01-02-2016, 05:30   #8

Thanks so much for taking the time to write all of that. So much appreciated!mark
Old 01-02-2016, 05:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
... the anchorage on the west side of Cabbage Key
west side of Useppa, east side of Cabbage Key
Old 01-02-2016, 05:52   #10

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I've made this trip a few times. My choice would be Naples to Pelican Bay (Cayo Costa), then from there to Longboat Pass and the next day continue into Tampa Bay. There are numerous places to stop in between those if you encounter bad weather, etc.

When leaving Boca Grande Pass, to go outside, you can hug the north side of the mouth and carry about 7'-8' and avoid a trip around the shoals. As mentioned, if you stay on the inside you will have a number of bridges to deal with, most open on demand but a few have schedules. A good resource for that info is here:

Florida Gulf Intracoastal Waterway - Cruising Guide
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:22   #11

Great...thank you Sir!
Old 01-02-2016, 07:16   #12

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
west side of Useppa, east side of Cabbage Key
Yes... Of course. A slip of the pen (so to speak). The anchorage at Useppa is relatively easy and convenient and a dinghy ride across the channel to Cabbage Key for a dinner is well worth the effort. We make it a point to stop there for staging our departures for Key West.

In re: Pelican Bay, members of Charlotte Harbor Yacht Club did a survey some while ago and have a sketch chart and way point path laid out for an easy entry, particularly for shallow draft vessels. They are available from the Club for the cost of reproduction and mailing and are worth having.

In re: the swash channel on the north side of Boca Grande Pass, unless one is quite familiar with the handling characteristics of one's boat and with the way the water flows around the point at various states of the tide/winds, I think it unwise to try a traverse of that "shortcut" for the sake of saving 30 minutes of transit time. Just my view but...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:02   #13

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I've made this trip a few times. My choice would be Naples to Pelican Bay (Cayo Costa), then from there to Longboat Pass and the next day continue into Tampa Bay. There are numerous places to stop in between those if you encounter bad weather, etc.

When leaving Boca Grande Pass, to go outside, you can hug the north side of the mouth and carry about 7'-8' and avoid a trip around the shoals. As mentioned, if you stay on the inside you will have a number of bridges to deal with, most open on demand but a few have schedules. A good resource for that info is here:

Florida Gulf Intracoastal Waterway - Cruising Guide
Keep an eye out for sport fishing boats at the pass angling for tarpon - sometimes very crowded and confusing, with some skippers focussed on fish and not navigation.
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:22   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

All good advice above.

If you are planning to transit the GICW this weekend, you may want to confirm this report of the Boca Grande Swing Bridge closure:

http://www.waterwayguide.com/latest-...closed-feb-1-7
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 08:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
All good advice above.

If you are planning to transit the GICW this weekend, you may want to confirm this report of the Boca Grande Swing Bridge closure:

http://http://www.waterwayguide.com/...closed-feb-1-7
Gasparilla Island Bridge Authority, Boca Grande Causeway - GIBA

Quote:
CHANNEL CLOSURE - THE BOCA GRANDE SWING BRIDGE CHANNEL WILL BE CLOSED TO VESSEL TRAFFIC FROM FEBRUARY 1ST THROUGH FEBRUARY 7TH.