Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2009, 13:13   #61
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Latitude is important to climate, but it’s not nearly everything.

Chicago is about 42 Degrees North Latitude, as are Boston, Detroit, Albany (NY), and Rome. (within a degree)

Vladivostok, Russia is about 43 Degrees North Latitude, and London, England is about 51.5 Degrees North Latitude.
Bingo! FWIW, London is much warmer in winter than Chicago.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:35   #62
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
The problem with nude sailing is the condition of the bodies that are displayed. Seems that most nudists would be much better displayed with clothes on. Seems like you have to have a pretty ugly body to hang out at our local nude beach. Just wish those that sail nude had something worthwhile to display.

Personally, I'm not much into nude sailing as it's not really comfortable to have bare skin against fiberglass and especially non skid.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 13:40   #63

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
The problem with nude sailing is the condition of the bodies that are displayed. Seems that most nudists would be much better displayed with clothes on. Seems like you have to have a pretty ugly body to hang out at our local nude beach. Just wish those that sail nude had something worthwhile to display.

Personally, I'm not much into nude sailing as it's not really comfortable to have bare skin against fiberglass and especially non skid.
You totally miss the point Nudist are NOT displaying for you.....

Nudist go nude because it feel good and makes them comfortable and display of flaws or assets isn't even a factor. Just take a trip to a nudist camp if you don't understand. If your only a voyageur then please don't bother.
Old 21-09-2009, 14:17   #64

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnlaashock View Post
His equipment was gone, and
They discovered a very large, very old turtle.
Being a fresh water turtle it did not know the difference between a one eyed mullet and the two eyed variety.

But on topic - What ever you want to do. I, however have looked into a mirror once or twice..................
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2009, 14:29   #65

Boat: Gullfstar 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post

Inevitably, we'd meet girls from the mainland and invite them out to join us. They'd have no idea the other gals aboard were strippers, but usually by mid cruise (and a few drinks) they'd come out of their tops (and bottoms) as well. That's been pretty much the point. Most folks are joiners and don't want to be the odd one out. If most people are au-naturale, then most join in.
Looks like you covered the 'not what I wanna see' problem nicely. I wanna go sailing with suede.
Old 21-09-2009, 15:49   #66

Boat: a sailing boat
There is no bad climate - only the inappropriate dress ... ;-)

Fur for Vladivostock, tanned skin for the tropics!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 16:08   #67

Boat: pilot cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
having just seen Beachgirls wonderful avatar, it reminds me of a question that arose after a conversation I had last week with a british guy who wants me to sail the Med with him on board his Snowgoose.

Dont ask how the subject came up but he mentioned that many of the people (couples) he previously met sailing the med are often naked whilst at sea.

Is this more BS or true? We are always being told to cover up and protect skin, and I doubt anyone wishes to become like a melonomic prune.
It never ceases to amaze me what females (and people in general) will believe when told by a complete stranger, and yet their significant other is usually the _last_ person whose advice they'll entertain. Oh yeah, everybody sails nude. Every sailor knows that.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 16:21   #68

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
It never ceases to amaze me what females (and people in general) will believe when told by a complete stranger, and yet their significant other is usually the _last_ person whose advice they'll entertain. Oh yeah, everybody sails nude. Every sailor knows that.
Well, Anjou,

Your friend is telling the truth.

I don't know whether they "sail" naked or get naked after they anchor, I have seen (& met) several sailboats with naked crew along the Turkish Aegean/Mediterranean coasts, particularly in the SW corner.

(I don't think it is a good idea to post their photos, do you?... )

Fair winds

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 16:36   #69

Boat: Kadey Krogen Manatee 36'
Swimming sure, morning dew OK, an hour or so topside occasionaly, maybe, working the wind in the hot sun all day no way!
Have fun!
Voyager510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2009, 12:40   #70

Boat: GAME PLAN, Celestial 48, Center Cockpit Cutter
I agree with others in here that say going nude is something you do for yourself,, not others. We do,, and don't, as the situation dictates. No set rules,, and remember, nobody has the sculpted bodies we see in the magazines so relax.
We were anchored down in the Exumas a couple years ago, set the hook after a beautiful sail, put the chairs out on the afterdeck for sundowners, and got naked to enjoy a quick swim before sunset. Two other boats came in a little later and upon seeing us, did the same and for the next two days I don't think any of us got dressed the whole time.
The point is just be yourself. Life is short so enjoy yourself.
Sailor954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 02:27   #71

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
If we are on passage, have sunscreen and the weather is such that very little boat work is needed, why not? I mean, I would probably wear my hat, sunglasses and deck shoes (steel deck!) and the question of where to hang the rigging knife would, ahem, arise, but other than that, the fish don't care.

We've failed to garb ourselves three miles out in Lake Ontario on stinky hot summer days when we are only drifting (but not when there's those little bastard biting flies...), and the world continued spinning. Yes, too much sun is a worry, but it's quite refreshing on a hot morning to stay unclothed as long as possible. It also allows you to have a morning coffee without breaking a sweat if you are being "totally air cooled". If you are just bobbing around (as is sometimes the case under a hot high pressure dome), random diving off the boat is amazing, as is scrubbing the hull, and then scrubbing oneself before reboarding (just trail a floating line in case the wind picks up!).

I wouldn't impose my personal vision of loveliness on others unless, as in the example above, it was clearly a la mode.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 05:21   #72
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by svstrider View Post
My wife is all in favour of naked engine maintenance and head repairs (another euphemism?). It saves her from washing my oil soaked overalls. However, she does refuse to hand me tools when I am head down & bum up in the engine compartment. She retreats to the cockpit. The dog does sometimes lend a hand, licking sweaty body parts. Times like that, you learn who your REAL friends are.
Fell off my chair when I read that one
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 05:29   #73
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailndive345 View Post

(I don't think it is a good idea to post their photos, do you?... )

Sailndive
I think it can serve a purpose

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2009, 11:13   #74

Boat: 36' custom steel
Absolutely brilliant story.

I'm jealous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
When I was living in Hawaii back in the early/mid 90's - we did plenty of naked sailing. We'd met a ex-college professor who'd retired early, sold his home, purchased a 60 foot sailboat, and moved to Hawaii to live the goodlife. His rule was simple, anytime we could gather up at least "8" young ladies that were good eye candy - we could all go out on the boat. So my buddy and I would scour the beaches in Waikiki for willing tourists on a saturday morning and often would fall short of the "8" needed. We finally hatched the idea to start chatting up some of the strippers who hung out at a gay beach off Kapiolani Park (Queens Beach) getting rid of their tan lines. We figured we could be up front about our dilemma and perhaps get a bit more consistency in getting our needed "8" bits of eye candy so we could go out sailing more.

THAT turned out to be a grand idea, and we pretty much had the boat filled with good looking strippers every weekend. Our friend was more than HAPPY! Starting on week #2, the tops came off. After that, it was pretty much au-naturale sails every weekend. Word got around to party scene, and plenty of folks started to bring out their boats to join up with us, and it would be one big nude fest off the shores of Oahu. GREAT times! I haven't had any issues with being nude aboard since.

Inevitably, we'd meet girls from the mainland and invite them out to join us. They'd have no idea the other gals aboard were strippers, but usually by mid cruise (and a few drinks) they'd come out of their tops (and bottoms) as well. That's been pretty much the point. Most folks are joiners and don't want to be the odd one out. If most people are au-naturale, then most join in.
Old 16-10-2009, 17:47   #75

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
I've seen alot of topless (men and women) cruisers in the Med, Caribbean and some parts of the south pacific. Total nudity - not that I could recall. Going topless makes for a nice tan. I'm up for that myself. Bikini bottoms - and deck shoes :-)

I will admit to sailing though, naked under an awning while crossing the equator; it was just so darn hot.
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote