Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2017, 14:21   #31

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!
Re: Multihull in distress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Well some things I do not understand. According to the video the sea was not calm but smooth - so the gale was gone. A tow to Garrucha (8 Miles) takes, with precautions 3 hrs at max. So why not organize a tugbost with a strong pump? Garrucha has a Marina and a big crane to lift the cat out.
They have the Cata docked in Aguilas harbour..
Thats what i hear from the SAR website.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:21   #32
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Orana 2010, Hélia 2013, Catana C 47 2013, Nautitech 46 Fly 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
Acording to the Spanish SAR , they sail with to much canvas up and the rig broke making a hole in the starboard side. 50 knts reported, the weather in the video is the calm after the blow...
2 Mio USD boat should have a skipper or an experienced owner capable of handling 50 kt. (I've sailed twice in 50-53 kts of wind with a 43 ft mono and 44 ft cat, it wasn't fun but not that bad either) Unless the wind has gone up from 20 kts to 50 in a minute or so, they might have been dismasted. But, otherwise they should have had enough time to take the reef. Maybe, something has broken or jammed and they couldn't..
If the rig has made big hole in the hull and underwater, then OK..

Anyway, I think we need to know more before commenting too much..

Cheers

Yeloya
yeloya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 14:52   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloya View Post
2 Mio USD boat should have a skipper or an experienced owner capable of handling 50 kt. (I've sailed twice in 50-53 kts of wind with a 43 ft mono and 44 ft cat, it wasn't fun but not that bad either) Unless the wind has gone up from 20 kts to 50 in a minute or so, they might have been dismasted. But, otherwise they should have had enough time to take the reef. Maybe, something has broken or jammed and they couldn't..
If the rig has made big hole in the hull and underwater, then OK..

Anyway, I think we need to know more before commenting too much..

Cheers

Yeloya
I dont know, if you look at the video again there is a big chunk of mainsail hanging in the starboard side, i know the área in question, Cabo de Gata , Almeria, GIB, and i can tell you 50 knts in a long lived gale from the West , the Spanish called strong Poniente , and so close from GIB, acting like a funel , créate a really washing machine along the coats, very Deep short step waves with a short interval, enough to broke boats...
The crew and the skipper?? i dont know what the crapp they are thinking...
Old 07-03-2017, 15:00   #34

Wouldn't be to quick to judge the skipper, there have been some large Cats flipped by some experienced sailors. Depending on how fast that wind came up, what point of sail they were on they might not have had the time to reef it. I've experienced winds that went from 15 knots to 40 knots in much less than a minute so it's probably best to wait and see what the skipper has to say.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 18:06   #35
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I dont know, if you look at the video again there is a big chunk of mainsail hanging in the starboard side, i know the área in question, Cabo de Gata , Almeria, GIB, and i can tell you 50 knts in a long lived gale from the West , the Spanish called strong Poniente , and so close from GIB, acting like a funel , créate a really washing machine along the coats, very Deep short step waves with a short interval, enough to broke boats...
The crew and the skipper?? i dont know what the crapp they are thinking...
Dynamic loads on the standing rigging leading to loosing the rig is the price that catamarans pay for their stability. For this particular cat, the manufacturer needs to up the rigging diameter once again and see if that holds. Trial and error is the best that can be done.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 18:38   #36

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

There's somebody on this forum who keeps insisting that the rig on a cat is designed to fail before the cat capsizes. May be true in this case, as the cat is still right side up.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:28   #37
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
It's typical. The cat, the crew, the waving while being winched up to the heli, the abandoning a unsinkable multi-hull, the posts in this thread, all typical.
Quote:
Dynamic loads on the standing rigging leading to loosing the rig is the price that catamarans pay for their stability. For this particular cat, the manufacturer needs to up the rigging diameter once again and see if that holds. Trial and error is the best that can be done.
It's really unfortunate that you have chosen to make posts like this. I used to respect your opinion.
Old 07-03-2017, 19:34   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Rubbish. The engineering of rig loads is not rocket science.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 19:49   #39
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
It's really unfortunate that you have chosen to make posts like this. I used to respect your opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Rubbish. The engineering of rig loads is not rocket science.
Well, may be the gentlemen can offer some citations then. I bet you can't because the shock loading on the rig of a catamaran can not be calculated like it can on a monohull. On a monohull it's simply the force needed to pull the masthead down to the water level plus a allowance for mass inertia plus a safety margin. Explain how they calculate it on a cat? Pull until it capsizes? The naval architects that I've read about on this issue state they use rule of thumb and change the rule for the cats that loose too many rigs (in testing of-course, no worries).

And about the video: Palarran, did it escape you that they were waving while being hoisted up to the heli? Do you think that is normal for somebody being rescued by coastguard?
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 20:21   #40

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I don't want to derail the thread, but we got word yesterday that on Sunday a charter cat from the Abacos attempted to go out Adderly cut in the Exumas and returned sans mast and sails. The word is that no one was injured and hull damage is relatively minor. Wind at the time was NE in the low 30's gusting to mid 30s here in Georgetown. We had one report of 41 in a more exposed area. It was probably higher in Exuma sound. I will attempt to get more details.
I'll bet in both cases it may have been as much the jarring from the waves as it was the wind.
Side note, we raced as crew against you guys, Great day!
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 21:52   #41
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
There's somebody on this forum who keeps insisting that the rig on a cat is designed to fail before the cat capsizes. May be true in this case, as the cat is still right side up.
There's a few of us really. Plus the manufacturers that I spoke to and the rigger that I spoke to. But then Jedi's comment wasn't about whether they're engineered to fall over before capsizing; it was about the loads being incalculable.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, may be the gentlemen can offer some citations then. I bet you can't because the shock loading on the rig of a catamaran can not be calculated like it can on a monohull. On a monohull it's simply the force needed to pull the masthead down to the water level plus a allowance for mass inertia plus a safety margin. Explain how they calculate it on a cat? Pull until it capsizes? The naval architects that I've read about on this issue state they use rule of thumb and change the rule for the cats that loose too many rigs (in testing of-course, no worries).

And about the video: Palarran, did it escape you that they were waving while being hoisted up to the heli? Do you think that is normal for somebody being rescued by coastguard?
Are you seriously suggesting you can't calculate loads on a multi for the purposes of rig design?!
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 00:51   #42

Rigging in a Multi is by rule Oversized , hell im a rigger by trade i know what im talking about, in the Privilege the rigging is top quality , they are the first ones in the past to fit Nirvana spars in a multi, the same spar Brand used by Eric Tabarly in Paul Ricard trimaran.

I have one in the coachroof of the workshop, really cool mast , not like the crap you see this days.. 50 knts in the Med are a killer for any spar...
Old 08-03-2017, 01:52   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Rigging in a Multi is by rule Oversized , hell im a rigger by trade i know what im talking about, in the Privilege the rigging is top quality , they are the first ones in the past to fit Nirvana spars in a multi, the same spar Brand used by Eric Tabarly in Paul Ricard trimaran.

I have one in the coachroof of the workshop, really cool mast , not like the crap you see this days.. 50 knts in the Med are a killer for any spar...
Sorry I'm not with you. I was South of Mallorca and Sardenia in a 50 knots (up to 62 knots gusts) Mistral and the furlex was broken so the 60 m² -genoa was fully set. Not really a problem with the Vagsbond 47. OK the old Genny was done at the sun protctors then but...
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 03:53   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
Sorry I'm not with you. I was South of Mallorca and Sardenia in a 50 knots (up to 62 knots gusts) Mistral and the furlex was broken so the 60 m² -genoa was fully set. Not really a problem with the Vagsbond 47. OK the old Genny was done at the sun protctors then but...
Guess what, i be caught to with plenty of sail up and not a problem, reef down and all is ok... what i mean is 50 knts are close to f10, reef at your own discretion,, i have no idea if the Privilege is sailing with the 2 reef or the first one or full sail or is just a matter of bad luck or rigging failure,, you just have good luck with that unfurl furlex in those conditions..
Old 08-03-2017, 03:57   #45
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

well yes I had luck but if it would have been a problem... lt her fly, no wind pressure any more, and half an our later it is toally broken.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, hull, multihull