Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are Multihulls as safe as Monohulls?
Yes 81 69.23%
No 36 30.77%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 10:23   #91

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Multi vs Monos. A simple poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The real answer is that neither are seaworthy vessels. Imagine either of them being hit by a 15- 20' wall of breaking water. The huge windows in both boats would be blown out, the mono would sink, and the cat would capsize. Unfortunately, this is what the designers are forced into by ignorant buyers.
The mono is an Oyster -- an immensely strong and immensely seaworthy vessel. They are built like brick houses and there has never been a recorded case of the doghouse windows of one of them being breached at sea.

The deck salon arrangement is "forced on designers by ignorant buyers"? Hmmm. I would beg to differ on that one. Getting the heads of the crew above deck level and letting light into the salon is one of the best innovations in mono design ever, in my opinion, and it's now almost universal among high end European boats, and produced by all the great designers.

Some Moodys have had deck salons since the 1950's, and I don't believe any of those have suffered from blown out windows either. My own boat was hit by a breaking 30+ foot wave, and knocked down, in a storm in the North Sea, and the salon windows didn't leak a drop.

It could be argued that deck salon monos were even be inspired by catamarans, where it is SO nice to be above the water where you can look out, rather than down in the cave, which was the interior of monos pre deck salon designs.

The cat depicted is a Lagoon, which has an excellent safety record. I don't believe there is any case of the salon windows being blown out of one of those, either.

There is no need to live down a cave, in order to be on a seaworthy cruising boat.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:23   #92

Boat: SOLD

Yes..
Old 28-02-2017, 10:31   #93

Boat: MacGregor X 26'

Very well said, excellent goal. I find an exciting adventure for me, is often a harrowing experience for her.
Old 28-02-2017, 10:35   #94

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I'm not generally negative but this kind of "poll" frosts me. It brings to mind the old saw- 'ask a stupid question, get ...'
Old 28-02-2017, 12:18   #95

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

As long as they're anchored or docked...

Old 28-02-2017, 12:19   #96
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

So the short run poll is over.

What has been learned?

About 30% of CF members who responded do not think that Multihulls are equal to Monohulls in terms of safety.
That 10% of CF members on this thread have no problem in denigrating a poll because it was not worded according to their sensibilities.
A fair number of members felt empowered to knock CF and the moderation team for bringing down the tone of Cf.
ALL of those that complained were monohull owners.

The reality is that over 30% of respondents have publically stated for whatever reason, that in their opinion, that having a multihull is really not safe comparitively. I feel that the ratio might even increase on a more in depth poll.

A lot of criticism regarding the simplicity of the question, and even blame attributed to the multi owners who "would be the only ones that care."

It is deeply concerning that despite Insurance company figures and reasonable coverage rates, that there persists a belief that multihull boats are substandard and unsafe. For all the nitpicking of location, type of build etc…. that was not the question asked………

It is deeply concerning that in any multihull thread that there will 30 % of the participants who will be there to just diss the vessels.

So… multihullers now have a relative figure of people that have a prejudice against their vessels. For those willing to discuss these’reservations’ I suggest that they contact a friendly Insurance agent and get the official stat report. Then they talk with companies who make the Cats or Tris and get the data sheets. THen… they can talk to owners, builders and users of multihulls. Why?

This is a sailing forum. Its aim is to round all of us. Now… if you tell me that cruising Cats pitchpole every day, that would be incorrect. If you tell me that Cats are ugly and you don’t like them then that is totally valid. I can think of one make off the top of my head..............

I hope that knowing this figure will help in a more meaningful dialogue and open up good conversations…. I remember when I first looked at Cats I asked John Ramsbottom if they were safe….

Im glad he was nice to me…

You do not have to like a catamaran. But you do need the facts on their safety and usability, and you do have to stop fighting on CF...

Thank you.
Old 28-02-2017, 12:22   #97

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
does this data apply to offshore? Most can't afford insurance once they leave coastal waters.... and if this is so... their data is more or less meaningless.
Most don't have insurance offshore? That's news to me. I've had insurance for sailing offshore, even single handed, for decades, and my insurer, Pantaenius, specializes in this. And that is the source of my data.
Old 28-02-2017, 13:20   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Darn, I missed another cat fight! I thought that the unsafe vessels were most often those with their captain or crew making poor decisions.

Tags
poll