Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are Multihulls as safe as Monohulls?
Yes 81 69.23%
No 36 30.77%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 09:14   #76

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: Multi vs Monos. A simple poll

Next question for the forum:

Are Cheerios as safe as Bran Flakes?

Ayn Rand
Old 28-02-2017, 09:19   #77

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
I can't imagine insurance companies quoting policies blindly. They do have the data but maybe not a complete picture as that would. E impossible.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
To answer this poll accurately, one would need to know how many mono-hulled and Multi hulled boats exist, how they are used, and how many serious/fatal incidents have occurred.

Who has these numbers?

Steve
Old 28-02-2017, 09:22   #78

Boat: lancer 36
Re: Multi vs Monos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Yep.
Trying the scientific statistical approach to find the troof....(of thinking).
scientific???? a sailing forum????? hahahahahahaaaaaaaaa. good one, man.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:23   #79

I vote NO for no reason other than I'm a contrary S.O.B. I'm on my first sailboat, a 30' mono. I've only sailed on a few monos 6 or 7? I've never sailed on a multi but I'm very interested in 30 to 35' tri's. My opinion means nothing as I have no practical experience but I own a mono so I must represent my ownership above any silly facts. If that helps the poll, cool.
Old 28-02-2017, 09:27   #80
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
To answer this poll accurately, one would need to know how many mono-hulled and Multi hulled boats exist, how they are used, and how many serious/fatal incidents have occurred.

Who has these numbers?

Steve

All the insurance companies can go on is their records for claims on different boats. They have to insure an object plus the idiot using the object.......the biggest unknown is the idiot?
Old 28-02-2017, 09:39   #81

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
All the insurance companies can go on is their records for claims on different boats. They have to insure an object plus the idiot using the object.......the biggest unknown is the idiot?
Agreed.

With automobile safety, the cars with the best safety record (not crash test results) are not the million dollar sports cars with the best handling and brakes. They are the ones with the most conservative drivers and those drivers usually pick a conservative vehicle.

Perhaps we should ask who is more conservative - Mono or Multi captains?

Steve
Old 28-02-2017, 09:39   #82

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Antipathy? Kind of odd. Both can be safe. I guess multis can be safer in some sense in theory. I have mono dream boats and multi dream boats. I have a hankering for Newick designs, but then I also lust for boats like the Rhodes 41. Go figure
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 28-02-2017, 09:41   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Let me ask visually. Is this:

As a vessel equally as seaworthy in terms of being on water as this:

Maybe you should post a video of someone in rough weather aboard the Lagoon, then ask the owner to post their feelings regarding the experience. I can tell you first hand, it was a great time aboard the Oyster 53. No worries. :-)

Old 28-02-2017, 10:02   #84

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

Old 28-02-2017, 10:02   #85

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Any one that doesnt ride a motor cycle will tell you they are extremely dangerous,

Same as boats, Off shore they are extremely dangerous, You can sink,

You can sink in the confines of the Marina also, They dont think of that,
People have inbuilt fears, Mostly based on fiction, or false information,

I was comparing the new Gemini Legacy 35 to my Gemini MC 105,
With its open cockpit, I would have had a boat full of water in the same conditions I encountered,
Instead of standing up to my knees in water from a following sea, My boat would have been full of water, Internally,
So two multi's very similar in design, One is safer than the other, I would not take the Legacy across an ocean, The MC 105 is only a coastal cruiser also, So I have been told,

People do get knowledge from posts like this, It may even sway them to buy a Multi or a Mono from reading these posts.,
Before buying my Cat, I watched video's of Yachts and Multi's in extreme conditions, Huge seas, Screaming winds,
The relaxed atmosphere on the Cats in the wildest weather is what finally sold me on a Cat,
Im a realist, we have some of the worst weather in the world here, Southern Ocean, Tasman, Bass Straight,
I am going to get caught in it sooner or later, So I want to be on the safest boat for me,
The Cat is that, Safest for me,
Old 28-02-2017, 10:07   #86
smj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Maybe you should post a video of someone in rough weather aboard the Lagoon, then ask the owner to post their fellings regarding the experience. I can tell you first hand, it was a great time aboard the Oyster 53. No worries. :-)

Your wife looks very uncomfortable and unhappy wedged into the corner of the cockpit.......but as long as you were having fun[emoji13]
Old 28-02-2017, 10:08   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Old 28-02-2017, 10:11   #88
smj

https://youtu.be/9HR6FihfI2g
Old 28-02-2017, 10:17   #89
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilpride View Post
I enjoyed the video. Thanks
Old 28-02-2017, 10:20   #90

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I own a hunter Legend 37.5 monohull and every time I have gone to the British Virgin Islands which is 5 times, I have charted a 48-foot leopard from The Moorings. In addition, I have sailed a 48-foot fountaine Pajot on the Chesapeake Bay.

In heavy weather on my monohull, tethers and Jack lines are mandatory due to the healing and severe weather. There have been a few times where falling off the boat due to boat motion could have been a reality were it not for the tethers and Jack lines. For the occasions when I was in heavy weather and heavy water on the catamaran, I never felt as though I was going to fall off the boat. In addition, on my monohull in heavy weather and Heavy Seas, at times it was physically exhausting to maintain course and heading. I have never felt the physical exhaustion on the catamaran in similar conditions.

Crew comfort is very important to overall vessel safety. There were times that we were tired which may have led to a poor decision. Typically, it's my wife and I who are crewing by ourselves. She is quite accomplished and able as crew. When sailing on the catamaran in rough weather and sea conditions, there is not as much teeth gritting.

All of this said, I tend to sail on the conservative side. That is, I reef early on my monohull and I reef early on the catamaran. The major safety concern I have is striking something under the water surface and what would happen to the vessel if we began to take on water. In that regard, the catamaran is a safer vessel. On the monohull, I have electric bilge pumps and a huge one gallon per stroke whale gusher pump in the case of emergency. Also, from a safety perspective, each vessel has specific characteristics and need to be sailed in the manner in which the boat was designed. For example, too de power the sales on my monohull I head into the wind. If we are overpowered on the catamaran we have to bear off of the Wind. Also, when I sail both vessels I am always ready to dump the traveler or release the main sheet urgently if surprised by a gust.

Overall, my experience on both types of vessels have been each vessel is safe. I, as the operator of the vessel am the weak link. It is also my experience that the vessel will make it through most issues and the crew are the ones who fatigue and make errors.

I grew up sailing mono halls, and I love them! However, I am currently in the market for a new 45 leopard(Miami sailboat show) catamaran for comfort, and overall livability, and my wife loves it. After all, the goal is to spend as much time on the water with the people that I love.

Ben
Closed Thread

Tags
poll