Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Are Multihulls as safe as Monohulls?
Yes 81 69.23%
No 36 30.77%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2017, 06:35   #46
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Multi vs Monos. A simple poll

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
& one of the most important point: on which basis do we compare the two? length? displ.?
price? (the only relevant criteria imo)

Exactly. For the record, based on experience, I believe a multi is probably just as safe as a mono for your physical personage. For your wallet, not so much. Just the opinion of a guy who has had to fix many broken boats. Some boats break easier than others because they're built light. And when you do hit something, the damage can be much more severe and much more challenging (read expensive) to fix properly. JMHO.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Old 28-02-2017, 06:52   #47

This has probably been posted before but here is an interesting article on Cats vs Monos. Scroll down a few pages for the part on safety

https://www.atlantic-cruising.com/wp...VsCat2-AYC.pdf
Old 28-02-2017, 07:51   #48

WOW just WOW... sorry to say this is a very stupid post and will accomplish or prove absolutely nothing.

It's painfully obvious that boat owners are not very objective about "design" issues... and most are vested in supporting their own decision to buy and sail whatever they have

On what basis is someone to respond to this poll? How many people have owned both and sailed both in the same sort of challenging conditions?

I would guess that most cat owner had monos before they had cats and so only they could make some sort of informed answer based on probably limited experience. Someone who has not sailed both has no business answering this really... not to mention the terms are so vague/generic to render the poll useless as well.

And you know what? Who cares? Anyone who buy a boat better be up to speed on sailing in the conditions they may encounter... or they have no business on the water... a danger to themselves and perhaps others.

We all know the reason people buy cats... they don't heel and they have lots of real estate.
Old 28-02-2017, 07:52   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Who really cares anyway? Seems to me that only a few internet multi sailors seem to get bothered by a discussion on the subject.

BTW.... When do you plan on buying a multi hull.... or monohull?

Or, do you just like stirring the pot?
Coming from you, in the general observation of the CF and your contributions, that is fairly amusing...

Brexit is causing a few potential issues for residency, for UK boat ownership here in Europe, registration etc. I have two vessels registered in the UK and for now will not be adding a third and having it in an EU country without a little clarification of future plans.... My accountants are urging caution.

My boating needs are met adequately here is Spain despite the fact I am 100 miles from the sea..

I have every sympathy for the reasons for leaving EU, but as a realist I know that Brit individuals can get shafted in a heartbeat by irritated bureaucrats....... I see it now starting... No one likes to be divorced. I hope Spain will take the mutuality route...... but you know what.... I have no clue where they will go. I work on the principle that if I dont lose everything, I will have to pay double to keep it...

I will be going to France and meeting the family on one of the boats from the UK in due course, and we will explore some of the canal system. Something Ive wanted to do for the longest time...There is so much of beauty in each country.... Id love to go explore Corsica at some stage too.
Old 28-02-2017, 07:54   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
WOW just WOW... sorry to say this is a very stupid post and will accomplish or prove absolutely nothing.

It's painfully obvious that boat owners are not very objective about "design" issues... and most are vested in supporting their own decision to buy and sail whatever they have

On what basis is someone to respond to this poll? How many people have owned both and sailed both in the same sort of challenging conditions?

I would guess that most cat owner had monos before they had cats and so only they could make some sort of informed answer based on probably limited experience. Someone who has not sailed both has no business answering this really... not to mention the terms are so vague/generic to render the poll useless as well.

And you know what? Who cares? Anyone who buy a boat better be up to speed on sailing in the conditions they may encounter... or they have no business on the water... a danger to themselves and perhaps others.

We all know the reason people buy cats... they don't heel and they have lots of real estate.
So... thanks for your opinion... Is that a yes or no?
Old 28-02-2017, 07:58   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Why do you care about people's BELIEFS? People can believe what they want, but the facts exist independent of belief. And they show that there is no significant difference in safety between the statistically average multihull and the statistically average mono. The insurance companies possess exhaustive statistical data, because that's what insurance companies DO. If there were a significant difference in safety, you would see it in insurance rates, but you don't.

I'm a mono guy myself, but I wouldn't hesitate to go multi, if that's what I wanted, just because of some phobias about safety.
does this data apply to offshore? Most can't afford insurance once they leave coastal waters.... and if this is so... their data is more or less meaningless.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:03   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
So... thanks for your opinion... Is that a yes or no?
My opinion is not going to be offered because I have only experience with one boat for 32 years in all conditions including a full gale in the gulf stream.

I am not interested in buying another boat or sailing offshore.

My opinion matters not.

Please... stop wasting time and as Ken says... stirring the pot. This has 0 information value.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:05   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My opinion is not going to be offered because I have only experience with one boat for 32 years in all conditions including a full gale in the gulf stream.

My opinion matters not.

Please... stop wasting time and as Ken says... stirring the pot. This has 0 information value.
Really?

So far only 69% feel that Multis are as safe as Monos...

Why?
Old 28-02-2017, 08:08   #54

Boat: Colegate 26

This is ridiculous behaviour and it's compounded by being instigated by a moderator of the site. You should be ashamed. It's a real turn-off for the forum as a whole.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:08   #55
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Really?

So far only 69% feel that Multis are as safe as Monos...

Why?

20 years ago that percentage would have probably been in the single digits! Progress is being made[emoji106]🏻
Old 28-02-2017, 08:14   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudMusic View Post
This is ridiculous behaviour and it's compounded by being instigated by a moderator of the site. You should be ashamed. It's a real turn-off for the forum as a whole.
You mean you cannot find another topic to go and read? Thanks for your comment.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:14   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

oh.. it went up to 70% in favour of a comparable safety factor.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:27   #58

Boat: MacGregor X 26'

Why not ask which you would rather sail, and why.

Which is "safest" would be accurate from the insurance companies.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:28   #59

Quote:

My opinion matters not.

This is a SIMPLE poll. Weavis is NOT stirring any pot NOR is he wasting anybody's time. NOBODY has to click on this thread....NOBODY, so those that are offended or whatever, need to relax and go elsewhere. Geez.

Personally I enjoy reading, at least what SOME experienced sailors have to say on the topic. MY experience when discussing the intention to purchase a cat for offshore cruising is almost universally the same. ..." Oh, you know MONOS are much safer than cats...blah blah ...flip...blah blah dismast...blah blah pitchpole etc etc.

Again.....simple poll.... Takes 1 second to click on a yea or nay for those that CHOOSE to participate.
Old 28-02-2017, 08:29   #60

Boat: 40' Maine Cat

YES - based on one simple personal fact;

my solid old double ender was heavier than water - it's natural state of rest is on the bottom

my solid old foam sandwich trimaran is lighter than water - it's natural state of rest is on the surface
Closed Thread

Tags
poll