Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 07:43   #61

Re: Much much am I being ripped off?

My attitude would be that if they didn't tell me about it beforehand, I am not obliged to pay. If you bring a car in for new tyres, and they ask for payment for an engine service aswell, would you pay it ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 07:53   #62

Boat: 1989 Gozzard 36

Maybe I just have a great marina, just south of Annapolis, holiday point.

My boat is 29' and I have a year round slip @ $110/ft which includes power and water (no live aboard charge that I know about). Haul out wash and re launch is $15.50 /ft winter storage is $6/ft for slip renters and $6/ft/mt for transient. No other charges except for work like winterizing items.

They don't allow painting by owners, although I have seen otherwise. Bottom painting is $11/ft + paint.

All in All, given the proximity to the Bay and Annapolis ($ sailing capital of east and deep pockets), it is a great place! The management is on top of it and very friendly. This year I broke the jib halyard, and being in my mid 70's did not want to go up mast, so asked them to do it quickly for me and they charged 2 guys @ 95 each to get line run it up and redo it all, $190 for them to do it vrs me, a winner.
dan104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:03   #63

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by odonnellryan View Post
Second year hauling the boat at this yard, wondering how usual these charges are. Last year we pulled the mast and with Covid that was a whole other fiasco (it sometimes takes me a while to learn my lesson - I guess I may want to look at another yard next winter...)

Location is south Raritan bay in NJ.

Winter storage came to $1,776 for a 37' sailboat. This is OK - about what I have paid elsewhere.

But, then of course they rent you the jackstands (first time for me, but ok) which comes to $330 (10 stands at $33 each) but I knew of this last year and expected a ~$2k bill which is ok.

Then, they add a charge of $540 to disconnect the backstay. I guess they have a small travel lift? Unsure... but I never had to do this when hauling my boat. $540 to disconnect and reconnect a backstay (without being notified first, just billed for it) seems outrageous.

With tax, a "chem comply" charge, etc.. it comes to a little over $3k for winter storage. I paid around $2k in a more densely populated and easier to access (by water) area a few winters ago, so $3k is really making me feel like I'm being ripped off in a big way.

I used to pay under $3k for a slip for the summer in Great Kills...
I pay 1499.15 total for a 38’ sailboat in Forked River NJ. The stands are included and like you my back stay will interfere with the smaller of the two travel lifts so they use the larger lift. I’m not billed for this nor am I billed for the stands. This includes power washing and an acid wash at the waterline.

This is easily one of if not the nicest marina in NJ so I’d say you’re paying too much.

Silver Cloud Harbor
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:10   #64

I never have had to rent jack stands unless demanding more than what is standard. And then, just for the extras. I assume that they had to detach the back stay on deck in order to allow for the cross beam on their travel lift. That is normal depending on the travel lift. But $500+ Is outrageous. A five minute job from a minimum wage employee. Wow. and as in the rules of capitalism work, vote with your “feet”. Don’t go there again and please inform others as to what and whom to avoid. Or sail to a better area. In NC it would cost less than half that. Maybe a good bit less. Of course here you can keep your boat in the water all winter if you want.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:18   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
A travel lift usually has to have either the fore stay or back stay removed to lift a boat with the mast up. A few boats with unstayed masts obviously are the exception.

We prefer to have our mast taken down every year before haul out. About $350 Canadian for a simple boat with single spreaders and two foresail furlers, half an hour. Each way.

Huh , not the travel lifts round here they are all U designs.
Old 06-12-2021, 09:25   #66

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

A travel lift usually has to have either the fore stay or back stay removed to lift a boat with the mast up. A few boats with unstayed masts obviously are the exception.

We prefer to have our mast taken down every year before haul out. About $350 Canadian for a simple boat with single spreaders and two foresail furlers, half an hour. Each way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Huh , not the travel lifts round here they are all U designs.
I've never seen a box lift; they're all U shaped.

One end or the other is what hits the stay. There's a limit to how far one can move the open-end strap, which limits the total you can move the back strap and still have it in the right place.

And thus removing either the furler or backstay for a lift which can't move the strap far enough to avoid the U hitting one or the other.

Just be glad it's not like the @#$%R^T&*()&^%$# yard who cut off my wind generator pole on my arch, so the lift could get past it once the boat was on the ground. Couldn't splash it again and rotate it, no...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:46   #67

Boat: Fraser 42 ft Center cockpit sloop

Not all the pirates are in Somalia
A lo of them run boatyards....
Hyrdflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:29   #68

Boat: Jeanneau 42 Deck Salon

Here at Herrington Harbor North they don't charge for jack stands or backstays. Fixed price for hauling, pressure wash, transport and blocking, and subsequent launching is $580. I have noticed that they always want me to back into the travel lift basin.

Winter land storage is $300/month, which is why I alternate years on the hard. Cher Ami is in her Herrington South slip this winter, with her North Shore canvas cover on. Takes my wife and I over two hours to put it on a 42' boat but it paid for itself in less than three years over shrink wrap. Also warmer down below when working. Can't say enough about that company. Cover is going on seven years old and they still repair zips and seams for free and cover shipping both ways for 90lbs of canvas!
Colonel Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 16:50   #69

Quote:
In my marina, they haul at least 200+ boats a year, from 22 feet to 70+ feet. Never seen a single forestay or backstay removed.

Must be a sub-compact size travel lift!
Panama Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 17:11   #70
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
In my marina, they haul at least 200+ boats a year, from 22 feet to 70+ feet. Never seen a single forestay or backstay removed.

Must be a sub-compact size travel lift!

CorrectoMundo.
This problem occurs cause the marina has too small a lift and is trying to handle boats too long for its capabilities. Buy a bigger lift guys
And theirs no way they should be charging YOU to remove it cause their scabby lift isn’t up to the job.
Old 06-12-2021, 17:38   #71
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
CorrectoMundo.
This problem occurs cause the marina has too small a lift and is trying to handle boats too long for its capabilities. Buy a bigger lift guys
And theirs no way they should be charging YOU to remove it cause their scabby lift isn’t up to the job.
Well this yard has a monopoly within about 60-100km around here. And the yard is full for winter. Land storage is in short supply in the 1000 Islands and the Canadian side of Lake Ontario, so some boats travel a couple of days to get here. It's popular.

I don't see why you guys are so grumpy. It's a commercial market. Profitable enterprise. Happy customers.

Can't afford it? Don't like it? Do something else or go elsewhere. I'm sure it's better there
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 23:38   #72

Boat: Dufour

UK NO BETTER
I have now sold up as fed up of being ripped of now trailer saling boat kept in my yard.
shauncagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:52   #73
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauncagiva View Post
UK NO BETTER
I have now sold up as fed up of being ripped of now trailer saling boat kept in my yard.
Yeah, this is definitely a good option. There is a whole tradition of pocket cruisers that are really fun to sail. Minimalist, shoal draft; if you run aground you can get out and push!

A number of former boatyards in the more populated places in Ontario have been turned to residential use. When all the flat edges of the land around the cities are turned into housing, pricing out the boatyards, it makes a lot of sense to have a trailer sailer.

You can buy a Rolls Royce with the money you save!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:22   #74

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt jgw View Post
I've never had to do that, on boats up to 36 feet mast up or down. In Michigan, where nearly all boats get hauled every year. They would have charged to drop the mast, but my yard has a hand operated gin pole they let us use for free. It's the least expensive place on Muskegon Lake, last year was $940 including haul, pressure wash, and launch for a 36 footer. And they don't charge for the jack stands, the only yard I've been in that didn't. Guess I'm lucky being here hearing what it costs in other places. Especially considering with our short boating season we spend more time out of the water than in.
You must be at the Muskegon Conservation Club. There is a reason why they have a waiting list. Friends of mine have a Catalina 30 there, and love it.
Old 08-12-2021, 09:51   #75

Yep that $540 charge is a total rip off. It’s about a 15 minute job.
But what you gonna do? They have your boat. You don’t pay , they don’t splash.
I would say they are being dishonest.

Pay them and get your boat back then file a small claims lawsuit for the undisclosed charges.
sailorman14 is offline   Reply With Quote