Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2021, 06:24   #1

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350
Moving to Panama City, FL...

Greetings,
As the title says, We will be relocating to Panama City, FL in the near future.
I have visited PC Beach when passing through, but never sailed. We will move our Bene OC350 there, not living onboard.

Where do people sail? St. Andrews Bay? only in the gulf?

I know there was damage from Hurricane Michael, is the boating infrastructure coming back? We are currently in Miami, so may move boat to Tampa temporary and wait till permanent storage is available...

Thanks for all the advise,

Marc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 08:19   #2

Boat: Hunter 31 (1987)
Re: Moving to Panama City, FL...

Marc,

A couple of the marinas have been restored, but some of the major marinas like St Andrews, Panama City, and Bay Point are still rebuilding. I sail out of this marina: https://www.facebook.com/Massalina-M...8286781551861/

Easy sailing in and around St Andrew's Bay and out into the Gulf. Destinations like Destin, Pensacola, Port St Joe and Carrabelle are longer trips and accessible via the ICW if the WX prevents sailing the Gulf. Good luck on the move!

Kenny
KMCMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2021, 09:24   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Marina space is still limited but slowly being rebuilt. There are some 50 ft fixed bridges going east and west in the ICW, but protected bay sailing is great and the GOM is nice and connected to SAB with a deep well marked pass.

When you make the final leg if in the Gulf stay well offshore of Cape San Blas. Normally quiet, but the shallow water and opposing wind and current can make passage across that part of the Gulf a Hellish experience. Used to be a Cape buoy well offshore but don't think there any more. Get an old chart and make a way point. I always pass offshore of the location.

If you can clear 50 ft bridge on east side of SAB then pass at Carabelle (west end Dog Island) is pretty safe in daylight. Gov cut through St George Island has some shallow water on the inside. Might contact some marinas in Apalachicola for current conditions.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2021, 11:03   #4

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 350

Thanks for the info. The wife will go up ahead (she has the new Job!), I'll visit during Spring Break (and finish the School year.) If we cant find a slip, Tampa area , Carabelle, Port St. Joe or Apalachicola may have to do for an interim dock....

Anyone else with info? Thanks,
MArc
CaptMarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 04:07   #5

Watson bayou marina is back open with new docks.
lars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 04:59   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Tampa to Carrabelle (no ICW). It's an overnight, but by taking a slight dogleg to the east you can anchor for a good night's sleep in 25 ft. of water. Carrabelle has easy access to the gulf, plenty of slips, full marine services, and all shore needs in walking distance. Its a better port than Apalachicola. It's our base.

Going west outside. I'm going to the west end of Apalachee Bay soon to see the condition of the two ways out; I don't recommend them unless someone has recent info. Go outside from Carrabelle. Frankly is correct on giving Cape San Blas a wide berth; I set a waypoint there for safety, just as he suggests.

Do be careful with the weather. This time of year the fronts come through every 4-5 days, so the window to come north is short if you don't want to be messing with big and confused waves.

Have a wonderful trip and a snug new home.

Tags
Panama