Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2016, 05:14   #1

Boat: Navigator 4800
Moving from San Diego to Florida.....

I currently have a 2000 Tartan 3700 with a 7'25 inch keel that I have spent lots of money on to get it where I want it. Now my wife has a job offer on the east coast of Florida and I am concerned that the keel is to deep to really be able to use the boat there. Due to this I had basically made up my mind to sell it and buy a new boat with a shorter keel.

So basically what I am seeking advice on is twofold;

1) Will I be able to use the boat up and down the Intercostal/marinas along the east coast and the Bahamas/Caribbean region? and

2) When I decide to sell it on the East Coast, will the keel length be a disadvantage and make it harder to sell?

Also is it worth the cost of Sailing/Trucking the boat to the east coast. If sailing the boat I probably need to take the mast down and service all the standing rigging.

I hate the idea of selling the boat, but am concerned with the cost of moving the boat, using the boat and reselling the boat in the future.

Any and all thoughts opinions are welcome.
Yngvepau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 05:34   #2

Re: Moving from San Diego to Florida.....

Tartans are great boats.

You'll probably get lots of different opinions, pro and con.

My boat draws 5.5 feet. Although I try to avoid the ICW as much as possible, I like having the option of going inside. A 7 foot draft would still make it possible, but would require playing the tides more carefully.

There are lots of places in the Florida keys and the Bahamas where a 7 foot draft would be challenging.

For these reasons, I probably wouldn't buy a boat in Florida with a 7 foot draft.

Best of luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jibstay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 05:38   #3
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

7'25"is too much for Bahamas/Florida.
Probably hard to sell unless the buyer plans to take it somewhere else.
I would think you get more $$ for the boat in California..
Old 29-06-2016, 05:42   #4

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

You got to sell the boat where the deep draft is not an issue. The east coast of Florida has deep water but it is all out in the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:07   #5

Boat: Catalina 42

I would recommend 5' max draft. Yours is doable but will keep you out of lots of nice anchorages while cruising. I am on the west coast and cruise the Keys and Bahamas. My 5' draft lets me in most places but my old 4'-3" was much better.
7' will give you a lot of stress.
Cool Runnings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:12   #6

Boat: In between boat ownership

I have sailed both coasts for many years with with a wide variety monohuls of all sizes and drafts. I can assure you that a 7'+ draft is a serious challenge in the ICW and elsewhere back East. Sell your boat and get on with it.
bravenewworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:17   #7

Boat: Island Packet 35

Don't forget to factor in the cost to get it from the West Coast to Florida. Even part way to Texas to sail the rest is about 7K right now. Great boat for West Coast where everything is measured in Fathoms, but less enjoyable on the other side when measured in feet.
tdoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:23   #8
Marine Service Provider

You're going to move from San Diego to South Florida (where I live)? How many millions are they going to pay your wife to do anything so crazy- it must be enough that you can afford to keep the boat in its San Diego slip and buy an 18" draft, air conditioned catamaran/condo in South Florida.
Please consult a Geographical Therapist before it's too late.

John Mardall
Vetus Group
JOHNMARDALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:26   #9

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

The group is on point today!
You will struggle to sell that in Florida because of the draw.
Sell in Cali then you don't need to worry about shipping your boat on what hasta be a very costly voyage.
Good luck - sounds like you have a nice boat - make sure to take it out one last time...
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 08:35   #10

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Welcome to South Florida. San Diego is great, but you will love it here too. Agree with others, 7 feet too much of a challenge. We have a cat and draw less than 4' - it's a tremendous advantage here. You're so close to the Keys and Bahamas, why would you want to limit yourself?

Sell your baby to a good home in S. CA and find a new Florida baby - lots of great boats to be found here.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:00   #11

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Putting money into a boat you plan to sell is generally a bad idea, My bet is that you would not come close to recovering your coats. Your concern about a 7'+ draft is well founded. Sure, you can sail the Keys and Bahamas but your options are limited and careful charting is a must. This is even more true in the ICW. You really do have a nasty choice between selling a boat you like and going through the setting up of a new purchase or spending money you will not recover, moving her and living with the depth limitations. Good luck with your decision.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:00   #12

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Warning...the water will be warm in S. Florida. Unlike the cold Pacific ocean...even in San Diego the water is cold.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:12   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Well...Just finished sailing our 2012 Jeanneau 509 from San Diego to North Florida/Southern Georgia. My vessel drafts 6.5 feet and we spent a lot of time in the TCI, Bahamas and Florida. It wasn't impossible...but it was stressful. We sailed California waters for 3 years and the East Coast is a different matter altogether. I love big, deep draft boats. I wouldn't be happy with a 4' draft. My mast height at over 70' keeps us from transiting the ICW. I don't think I'm missing much. Your call...but if you love your boat and how she performs at sea...don't give in.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:19   #14

Nice boat but too deep for Keys and Caribbean waters! You could sail all day long right out in the Beautiful Atlantic, however in close you'll go nuts and loose the cruising enjoyment that's found in a shallower draft boat in the areas you'll really want to go!
I used to think that California was the 'Always Summer' state!!! Not so, welcome to the true 'Endless Summer' experience!
Let the adventures continue and best of luck!
Joe
TraderJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 09:33   #15

Boat: Jeanneau 2012 509, 50.5 ft

Joe--

You're not wrong. From here we sail north up the East Coast and then transatlantic to Ireland and Europe. Let the adventure begin indeed.
aucoingc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, san diego