Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-08-2010, 00:29   #1

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Boat: Diesel Duck 462 M/V Dora Mac
Motorbikes on Boats

Some dock mates at Puteri Harbour Marina in Malaysia bought a Honda 100cc four-stroke motorbike in April and have been going everywhere on it. I priced a new one with aluminum wheels, heavy tires, storage baskets, front disc brake, registration, and one year insurance for $1,558.50 USD. The bike only weighs 85 kilos.
My problem is we leave SE Asia for the Mediterranean in January and I wondered if I will be able to use the bike in the countires surrounding the Med. Anyone had any experience.
Randal Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 04:09   #2

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
Importing and licensing is a major PITA. I had a friend who bought 4 motorbikes in Thailand and tried to bring them into Cyprus. It took ages and lots of money to get them approved for use. If you are lazy, you would be better off with an electric bike.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 06:23   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
I'm not sure you have to import and license them if you are only temporaily in the country. You should check on that.

Having a motorbike on board would be fantastic -- would really give you the legs and range to explore wherever you go. It's not just for the "lazy".

Just one question though (besides the importation and licensing question) -- where the h*ll will you keep it? It may weigh only 85 kilos, but you don't just fold it up and put it in a cockpit locker, do you now?
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 06:50   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
I think Dockheads right and would equally be surprised if any bike your bought into a country on a temporary basis (provided it was already registered / plated elsewhere) would attract any form of import duty. But insurance might be worthwhile considering...........

We've jsut sold our sail boat and are in the process of buying a power launch to cruise the inland EU waterways. And we've equally bought a 125cc Virago for exactly the same reasons as you.

It does mean the specification of the pending power launch includes space to store it (plus lifting arm) on deck, but the bike will increase our options where ever we end up.

Factually we've met loads of people on our travels who have cruised for years, but most accept they usually end up port hopping, or looking at beaches, and they all see a lot of sea!

IMHO getting off a cruising boat is quite important if you want to experience life a little more........

So good luck - and by the way - I envy your buying prices!!

JOHN
Old 13-08-2010, 08:08   #5
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises
There are several pervious threads about this exact subject.

I really wanted to do just this but in the end have abandonded the idea. Part of the reason is that in the Med there are a fair amount of rental motorcycles and scooters available. By the time you buy the cycle, store it, off load it, maintain it, etc. you could rent one for so much less. Then you also have the issue of draining the gas tank everytime you stow it. If you are going to buy one, this is my suggestion:
PEIRSPEED Motorcycles, Scooters, and Powersports Products.
Old 13-08-2010, 13:21   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
There are several pervious threads about this exact subject.

I really wanted to do just this but in the end have abandonded the idea. Part of the reason is that in the Med there are a fair amount of rental motorcycles and scooters available. By the time you buy the cycle, store it, off load it, maintain it, etc. you could rent one for so much less. Then you also have the issue of draining the gas tank everytime you stow it. If you are going to buy one, this is my suggestion:
PEIRSPEED Motorcycles, Scooters, and Powersports Products.
That's a very cool looking bike! But no way in h*ll could I stow that on my vessel other than as deck cargo. And ours is 54'! So I guess motorbike is off the list.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 17:49   #7

Boat: Jefferson Motoryacht 45' Whatever!
We have a 100cc Aprilia Scarabeo on our bow deck. We cut the railing around the bow in two places and we have a ramp that folds up to load and unload the scooter. As long as we have a dock to side up to, we can get it off, either on the port or the starboard side. Until Jan 2009, that was all the motorized transportation we had. We had a sunbrella cover made for it and no salt water gets to it while aboard, and we use the top cover while it is parked at marinas. A wonderful thing for us!
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 18:00   #8

Location: December 2014 Back in Marmaris Turkey getting Dora Mac ready to put back on the market.
Storage

We have a Diesel Duck 462 with a flybridge. At 85 Kilos I believe we can use a halyard and the windless to hoist it up to the flybridge. Having a Sunbrella cover made is a good idea.
I researched the internet this morning and there is no problem using it in Turkey and Israel for up to 6 months with proof of insurance. I continue to believe this is a good idea and especially at that price.
Old 13-08-2010, 20:39   #9

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
We have been looking at these. I have test driven one, and I am a 6'3" 250 lb man and I was still able to zip around with no issues, my wife was able to go slightly faster then me but she is only 120 so I will give that to her.

They have a waterproof storage bag you can get to protect them from the elements and salt. Perfect for running to the market or into town. They only weigh 60lbs, so they are easily moved from the boat to dock or dingy.

Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE

they say that All countries acknowledge an international agreement for mutual recognition of licensed motor vehicles. This means that the driver of any motor vehicle in a foreign country has to have an appropriate driver’s license issued from the same state or country where the vehicle is registerd/licensed. So, license your Di Blasi "EXPRESS" at home and you’re legal worldwide!

The couple I meet with them, have been mainly to Europe and the Caribbean, they are registered in Canada, and they have never had any issues.

Attached Images

Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 20:52   #10

Boat: Islander 36
As I understand it, the ticket is, 50 cc or under, legal anywhere (except California I'm sure). That is why you see so many 49 cc such units out there.

I have the Di Blasi Mariner model. S.S. frame. It's looking for a new home if anybody can find their way to Baja the same time as me.

Consider this
Golden Eagle Bike Engines, Geared Belt Drive Bicycle Engines / Motors for Mountain Bikes & More. Way kewl. Or is that hot? I don't know anymore.
Old 13-08-2010, 20:53   #11

Boat: 1979 Hughes 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
We have been looking at these. I have test driven one, and I am a 6'3" 250 lb man and I was still able to zip around with no issues, my wife was able to go slightly faster then me but she is only 120 so I will give that to her.

They have a waterproof storage bag you can get to protect them from the elements and salt. Perfect for running to the market or into town. They only weigh 60lbs, so they are easily moved from the boat to dock or dingy.

Di Blasi of America - FOLDING MOTORCYCLE MOTOR BIKE MINIBIKE MOTORBIKE MOPED COLLAPSABLE MOTORSCOOTER PORTABLE SCOOTER MINI-BIKES MINI BIKE PRIVATE PILOTS BOATS SAILING RECREATION TOURISTS ACCESSORIES TRAVEL AIRPLANES ALTERNATE TRANSPORTATION VEHICLE

they say that All countries acknowledge an international agreement for mutual recognition of licensed motor vehicles. This means that the driver of any motor vehicle in a foreign country has to have an appropriate driver’s license issued from the same state or country where the vehicle is registerd/licensed. So, license your Di Blasi "EXPRESS" at home and you’re legal worldwide!

The couple I meet with them, have been mainly to Europe and the Caribbean, they are registered in Canada, and they have never had any issues.

Ok....so I guess I'm buying one of these now, they look sick!
Freerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2010, 22:58   #12

If you have some athleticism (or want some) try a longboard.

Amazon.com: Surf One Robert August II Complete Longboard (8.875 x 43.75): Sports & Outdoors
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2010, 00:04   #13

Decided

I think with the added abilty to travel and see at least local areas, say within a 100 K of the boat, purchasing this bike will be a good choice. I think we have decided to do it given that we won't have trouble using in countries around the Med.
At this site is a picture: http://www.honda.com.vn/Upload/Produ...u2_yelllow.jpg
Old 14-08-2010, 15:35   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
I had a grey import motor bike in the UK for a while. The dealer paid the 20% import duty so I didn't see that cost directly, same with the registration paperwork hassle. What he forgot was the headlight dips the wrong way and Japanese indicators stay permanently lit only flashing when you select left or right. Confusing to other drivers in the UK and whilst fixable took a little time.

Now what would be cool is a monkey bike

The MBUK Team

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trev_1_lrg.jpg
Views:	728
Size:	105.3 KB
ID:	18454  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 06:02   #15

Re: Motorbikes on Boats

Isn't better to use a regular folding bike that is designed for sea environment as for example the Montague Paratrooper and a Copenaghen wheel to electrify it, so the licencse problem is solved (there are some electric kits for bike that turn it almost into a motorbike just google them )
james3 is offline   Reply With Quote