Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2015, 19:26   #1

Motor Sailer, lancer 27 or other. Don't laugh.

Hi guys,
I scour messages in your forum all the time. Got a question about a lancer 27 power sailor. I'm looking to buy a sailboat as boat and use it as a part time live aboard (I can live modestly at times). I am not an experienced sailor but have done a bit this summer and really enjoyed it. Motor sailors were not on my radar but I have been looking at this Lancer 27 and thought, maybe.
I don't have near as much time on my hands as all my sailing buddies. I have weekends and if I want to cruise the gulf islands this might not be a horrible idea. I know everyone is cringing (my friends included) but I figure I get the best of both worlds. Even if it doesn't sail well I can still learn to sail and if I have to be home Monday morning I don't have to worry.
This particular Lancer is for sale in Bellingham Washington has a 60hp engine. I like the layout. I actually kind of like the looks. Are there thoughts on this particular model or any other motorsailors?
Sailinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 03:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Motor Sailer, lancer 27 or other. Don't laugh.

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Sailinish.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:47   #3

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Sailinish,

Welcome;

You'll get plenty of people who never have owned a motorsailer telling you not to waste your money. The line " they don't sail or motor very well" gets a bit old after a while.

I'm one of the minority thinking that they offer the best of both worlds.

No - they won't point well into the wind under sail alone or win any races, but if that isn't what you want the boat to do, what does it matter. They can be a great cruising boat, with the pilothouse offering year round comfort and great visibility.

Having never been aboard one, I don't know the Lancer 27 very well. I've read about poor build quality issues with them, but I don't remember the specifics.

In your part of the world, I'd suggest having a look at the Willard Vega, or a Fales motorsailer. Nimble also makes a good solid little motorsailer. A Fisher 30 is also a very well built boat.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 05:58   #4

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
You'll get plenty of people who never have owned a motorsailer telling you not to waste your money. The line " they don't sail or motor very well" gets a bit old after a while.
Amen to that...

To the OP, a guy at our old boat yard had a Macgregor 26. He used to trailer it in & out most weekends (so no anti-foul needed, or expensive berthing) and used it more than anyone else I knew at the marina. It used a 50hp yamaha outboard which propelled it along nicely, but still had a good rig when the wind was right.

See if you can go for a test sail / motor in a power sailer first but yep, they're not a bad option!

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 07:57   #5

Boat: Piver tri Serena

After having delivered several larger lancer motor sailors a few thousand miles each, I can say that the accommodations were roomy and the motion was sea kindly on offshore passages - Panama Canal to Jamaica under sail, very nicely. However, I recall one other larger lancer had an issue with the foam core hull up near the bow. Check that area for cracks and leaks.
Nagivator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 08:02   #6

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

60 HP seems overpowered for a 27 footer. What's the hull speed or does it plane? I agree with those who say you need to check out on the water both under sail and powered.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:00   #7

To Dave, apparently she planes and has had far bigger motors than that on her. There's not a lot of info in them. They only made them for two years. I've read that the port holes are bad for leaking but I have yet to come across a 30+ year old boat that didn't have the same issues.
Thanks for the tips on the bow Nav.
I really appreciate the feedback. Even if I don't buy this boat. I won't be skipping past the adds on the motor sailors anymore. This sounds like a really good option.
Sailinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:06   #8

Boat: Nauticat 32

Lancer 27 seems to be a special kind of motorsailer. Typically boats that are called motorsailors have large body and nice interior, relatively large motor, but they do not focus on racing level upwind capabilities. This boat however seems to be very fast, not heavy displacement oriented. At some page it was called a "power sailer".

My point thus is that traditional motorsailors and powersailors can be quite different, although they both share the idea of having a relatively powerful engine.

For comparison and for those interested on this kind of power sailer type boats here's a link of a truly fast power sailer style sailboat. Home (All the multihull fans will forget their multihull dreams after checking this Sailjet 40. )
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:09   #9

Try this fella, he's a mod on sbo, too

Takara
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 09:19   #10

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinish View Post
...Lancer is for sale...has a 60hp engine....Are there thoughts on this particular model...?
Harumph!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:31   #11
RNW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
.....For comparison and for those interested on this kind of power sailer type boats here's a link of a truly fast power sailer style sailboat. Home (All the multihull fans will forget their multihull dreams after checking this Sailjet 40. )
315 HP ?

We Are talking rich boys toys here.
RNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:34   #12

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Up here in the PNW, NOBODY laughs at the guy sitting in a warm, dry, comfortable pilot house on a motorsailer...NOBODY.

I don't know anything about the Lancer, but Fisher 27 and 30 are well built comfortable boats. I went out on a friends 27 and was impressed. Solid boats.
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:48   #13

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Hunter made the 'Edge' for a few years. Then you have MacGreoger. Now this compact motor sailer...cool.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:03   #14

A motorsailor is a good choice for up here in the PNW. Motorsailors often have more HP than normal Sailboats, as they are more of a Trawler with a mast. But this Lancer is truly an odd duck... not built like a pilot house or most "motorsailors"... just a sailboat with a big outboard! However, just know that Lancers were poorly, lightly built boats. That may be fine for around here though. This boat should likely be free to the buyer.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 11:22   #15

Boat: No more boat (my medical, not the boat's)

I read the posts. The negatives are are slight or lie outside of your intended usage. Bottom line, unless a real negative appears (via a survey?) GO FOR IT. There is almost no downside except selling if it does not work out as intended. You should be able to bargain, because, as the posts indicate, the style probably limits the potential number of buyers.

Tags
lancer, motor, sail