Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2011, 18:11   #61

Re: Most Dangerous Sailing / Boating Is Coastal, Not Offshore

As in all things a man has to know his limitations. I have spent my entire boating life between 0 and 100 miles off shore. Most of it was in a power boat. Now at 62 I am relearning my sailing days of my youth. Combine weather and my age and being keenly aware of what I can and can't do any longer is the starting point for me. Could I single hand a 2 day storm and remain awake and alert relatively speaking. NO! No doubt my boat can take me from here to there and probably do so on her own as she is well equipped but you do not get to 62 without learning that the things you think of are far outnumbered by the things you have not. I spent a good deal of time in combat in the Marine Corps and from that experience I learned that over confidence will kill you quicker than being ill prepared. You cannot prepare for nor counter the unknown.
jconnor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 22:33   #62

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jconnor3 View Post
As in all things a man has to know his limitations. I have spent my entire boating life between 0 and 100 miles off shore. Most of it was in a power boat. Now at 62 I am relearning my sailing days of my youth. Combine weather and my age and being keenly aware of what I can and can't do any longer is the starting point for me. Could I single hand a 2 day storm and remain awake and alert relatively speaking. NO! No doubt my boat can take me from here to there and probably do so on her own as she is well equipped but you do not get to 62 without learning that the things you think of are far outnumbered by the things you have not. I spent a good deal of time in combat in the Marine Corps and from that experience I learned that over confidence will kill you quicker than being ill prepared. You cannot prepare for nor counter the unknown.
At 63 I must agree, 20's & 30's I could survive on 20 minute naps and do quite well. I too a combat vet from Navy PBR's know exactly where you are in life. But I now have a sailing partner in my life, so I keep on keeping on with my cruising life. Best of luck to you brother, God Bless you... Michael...
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:13   #63

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe
The most dangerous waters I've sailed in were the Gulf of Aden.
Why is that?
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 04:18   #64
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Most Dangerous Sailing / Boating Is Coastal, Not Offshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillbuilding View Post
Why is that?
To many ships/boats......
Attached Images

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:20   #65

Boat: in between boats

Thank you Don Lucas for starting this thread!
I am glad I am not the only one that has questioned the statement, "blue water capable".
Generally speaking most people refer to the tankage and storage capabilities of a vessel as whether it is 'blue water capable'. Well, water and fuel will get contaminated. Water makers will malfunction. Keeping your diesel tank full is your best insurance against algae and sludge. The bigger tank, the more air space, the more condensation and algae food. Thus imho, several smaller potable water tanks, or even many one gallon jugs stowed equally around your boat to evenly distribute the weight. At least two smaller fuel tanks, independantly feeding your primary filters,is better than one big one. Again evening out the load. Fuel and water is the heaviest things you will ship. I still question huge fuel tanks on sailboats and the mentality of firing the steel genny when speed drops below 3 Knots, you ain't cruisin. I know there are doldrums and light wind, but with proper planning and mapping and picking correct seasons, this problem should be minimized. The skill of route planning and choosing correct seasons and not being in a hurry.
Again comes to the skill of the captain and crew as to define what is blue water capable and the careful stocking and routing and weather watch.
More people die of accidents at home than anywhere else. Don't stay home!!!! Most boats sink in the marina. Get the hell out of the marina.
Don't tell me classic plastic Benehuntalinas or Colucalerics are not 'blue water capable'. You can tell me many of the skippers of those vessels are not blue water capable. The vessel will take more than the crew in foul weather. Most sailboats will remain afloat in not holed. Where do they get holed... C'mon, don't even talk about the one in a billion happening of hitting a whale or a whale hitting you or hitting a partially submerged shipping container, that would most likely happen closer to shore in shipping lane any way.
With todays technology in communication, I am sure a boat stocked with more than ample supply of water, ample supply of food, serviced and updated through hulls and rigging and a reliable engine with at least enough fuel to exit and enter a few anchorages and refueling docks. A fiberglass hull that has been well taken care of, sailed so as not to over stress sails, rig, fittings, or steering system, properly reefed, earlier than later, will safely take the prudent mariner most places he chooses to go for as long as he chooses to go. Then be sold to the next prudent mariner to do the same. I will admit, I will not take the 'soon to be mine' Catalina 36 around Cape Horn, the North Sea, or the Bering Sea. I like 80 80 land where there is rum, as do most sane mariners. However, I will be the first to back tha staement that, sanity is sooo over rated!!! Warm, numerous, free anchorages where little or nothing at all is the uniform of the day, and shorts and sandals is year round attire, I'm there, forever!! I am planning to allocate enough of the cruising kitty for full insurance coverage. It remains to be seen if that is economically feasable, especially if the insurance company wants to dictate where and when I sail.
I am sure I have more to add, or ramble on about, but my rum drink is beyond needing refreshed. So the prudent mariner I am, some fresh ice, rum, and squirt is in order. that's right, your read it righ, squirt, one the most versatile and under rated mixers available. Oh, and did I mention, waaaayyyy cheaper than orange juice. I am going to miss that ice maker.
Larry
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:31   #66

Boat: in between boats

I didn't even mention what points, cliffs, heated land, inland deserts and geographical anomalies can do to the regular wind pattern on the sea creating unsafe sailing conditions the closer to shore you choose to sail. The average windspeed on the ocean is 15 knots, if I remember correctly what I have read somewhere. I like sailing where I can relax and use the windvane!! That is not close to shore. I will admit I really like radar also, to keep an eye on shore, islands, rocks, reefs and other thing that my hole my little boat.
Yeah your right, fresh drink. Did I mention that I am going to miss that ice maker?
larryb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:38   #67
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Most dangerous sailing/boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
Don,

Sounds to me like you've never been out in 40 knot wind and 20 ft seas. Or did you go out for a sail last Saturday night? If you had any sense, you didn't, because that weather system was forecast well in advance.

Paying attention to where you are, what's around you, and not running into anything is what you should learn in a basic Coast Guard Auxiliary boating class. Sailing in Boston Harbor demands that you pay attention, but it is not frightening, at least in normal settled summer conditions. Sailing in a gale is, and most sensible people avoid it if they can. That's the difference between blue water and coastal cruising--you can't avoid the gales.

I'm sorry but I did not get that feeling of ignorance from Don's post. Where did he indicate that he doesn't pay attention to where he is, what's around him, etc? Where did he indicate that he doesn't have the basic boating skills taught by the coast guard? Where did he indicate that he would go out for an evening sail without checking the weather first? I didn't see any of that.

He said that open waters are safer than waters with obstacles in them. He's got a valid point. It's less likely that water will break a boat, and more likely that water pushing your boat into or on to hard things will break your boat. I don't think he ever intended to list every possible hazard ever seen at sea.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 21:39   #68
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Most dangerous sailing/boating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
Thanks for the ............... lecture? But I think you have me confused with an idiot.

Gotta say that's how it sounded to me, too.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
danger