Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2020, 13:38   #31

Boat: Bruce Roberts Spray, 36' Steel Junk-Rigged Schooner
Re: Mooring Rode Cut, Help remedying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
A 24# anchor is a lunch hook not a mooring.
For sure, though in OP's case a 24lb is just about acceptable as main anchor. It's how he's using it that's the problem.
Old 14-06-2020, 16:26   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

[QUOTE=

I have never heard anyone use an anchor as a mooring with a buoy like that.[/QUOTE]

That is why we have a derelict boat problem on the East coast! You can't get a permit for a mooring in many places so people use junk even if they might no better. Anyone can come and take it or drop their hook on top of it when you're out sailing.

Also why anchoring is being banned. But Bro! That's some heavy chain on such a light anchor! Maybe it was a big tractor?
Old 19-06-2020, 09:03   #33

The Coast Guard did nothing when your boat drifted past their dock?
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 05:57   #34

Trying to use an anchor as a mooring is NOT good practice in the least. You need a REAL mooring anchor like a mushroom or helix. You need all chain to the mooring buoy and you need the kind of buoy the chain passes through the center of. The mooring painter attaches at the top and it needs a swivel.

Please do not cheap out with this, sooner or later your boat will hit someone else's boat.
I made a mooring from a 300 pound mushroom and 35 feet of 3/8" chain in 10 feet of water. It has held my 35 foot boat for about 10 years now no problem including a hurricane.
Coquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2020, 07:35   #35

I think a shackle came loose and put your boat adrift...this is a prime example why a single point failure for mooring/anchoring isn't the most secure way...it's the easiest way. A second anchor probably would have kept your boat off the beach. Your setup wasn't correct but I don't see that being the reason it parted. As far as wrapping the keel. Nylon needs more scope than chain and is more prone to get sideways and wrap a keel or anchor than chain. I'd change your line configuration and add a second anchor opposite the other to reduce concerns. Bridle/buoy in the center of the line and leave it when day sailing. You can retrieve it easier than a dedicated screw or mushroom mooring.

I see no mention on what type anchor you used or what the bottom is either. It sounds like you were using an oversized (for J24) modern anchor and subscribed to the pc short scope without using all chain. For what it's worth, in sand a 22lb standard Danforth will hold a j24 in a cat 1 hurricane...which tells me your modern 34 lb anchor was plenty and not the problem.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mooring, rode